2024 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Studies

On 1/22/2024 at 11:45 AM, 24PhdSLS said:

Hi, all! My research interests lie in language assessment. I'd also like to share how my applications are going.

Please keep me posted if you have any news regarding the universities listed below! Good luck to everyone!

- UIUC: Interview request

- U of Hawaii at Manoa: under review (had a prelim interview in December)

- ISU: under review

- U of Michigan: under review

- MSU: probably got rejected as I got no news at all until now

- GSU: under review

- PSU: under review

Hello, would you mind if I ask you which program is your top choice? I think we have both applied to GSU, ISU, Hawaii, MSU, and it seems like you have been interviewed with GSU, ISU, and Hawaii which is exactly the same as mine! Since you got the offer from GSU, I think we are pretty much overlap together! In the meantime, have you heard any updates from MSU? 

4 hours ago, researteacher said:

Thanks! I felt the same way about Hawai’i. It was a full 30 minute interview with very detailed research-related questions. They asked me to elaborate on my past research projects I’ve been involved in as well as my dissertation plans, but there were such detailed follow up questions I was honestly surprised how intense it was. Great job though! I can’t wait for all interviews to be over 

Same here. I also felt the interview was really intense and it seemed like they really want to know the research capacity of the applicant!

1 hour ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Hello, would you mind if I ask you which program is your top choice? I think we have both applied to GSU, ISU, Hawaii, MSU, and it seems like you have been interviewed with GSU, ISU, and Hawaii which is exactly the same as mine! Since you got the offer from GSU, I think we are pretty much overlap together! In the meantime, have you heard any updates from MSU? 

Thanks for asking. Um...I don't have specific top choice in my mind actually. I applied to programs only if there is a high alignment of research interests.. So I will choose a program based on its funding and rankings. I currently got admissions offer from UIUC and GSU, both of which have a very nice program with supportive faculty members. I haven't got any notice from MSU yet! It seems like a silent rejection may be...?

1 minute ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Thanks for asking. Um...I don't have specific top choice in my mind actually. I applied to programs only if there is a high alignment of research interests.. So I will choose a program based on its funding and rankings. I currently got admissions offer from UIUC and GSU, both of which have a very nice program with supportive faculty members. I haven't got any notice from MSU yet! It seems like a silent rejection may be...?

Thanks for your reply. I have got offers from FSU, GSU with assistantship and some others without funding support up to now. Still waiting for other offers as well, but I would choose considering funding support condition!

11 hours ago, researteacher said:

I just got an interview invite from Penn. 

Wow! Congrats! As I remember, you probably mean Penn state, right? Hope you can make a fine decision after considering all the possible options! I also applied to Penn state but haven't heard anything yet! 

42 minutes ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Wow! Congrats! As I remember, you probably mean Penn state, right? Hope you can make a fine decision after considering all the possible options! I also applied to Penn state but haven't heard anything yet! 

Thank you! Yeah it's Penn State. I think they might be sending invites at different times depending on the PoIs? It was from the director with the PoI cc'ed in the email. I chose technology for language learning, so if you chose something else, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The PoI I will be talking to is the last person I had in my mind, so I'm a bit worried, but I'll keep you guys posted! Congrats on GSU and I hope you hear back from PSU soon :)

ps. I am under the impression that you're an international student. I saw that you don't have a specific place in mind yet. If you have not lived in the US and are not well-versed in the urban areas here, I recommend you take locations into consideration when making a final decision. I didn't apply for some programs solely because of their geographical location because I knew I just can't do 4-6 years in such areas. Living costs have huge gap across states, so I'd definitely check out rent prices using apartments.com and safety of the surrounding areas too. Congrats again!

4 minutes ago, researteacher said:

Thank you! Yeah it's Penn State. I think they might be sending invites at different times depending on the PoIs? It was from the director with the PoI cc'ed in the email. I chose technology for language learning, so if you chose something else, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The PoI I will be talking to is the last person I had in my mind, so I'm a bit worried, but I'll keep you guys posted! Congrats on GSU and I hope you hear back from PSU soon :)

ps. I am under the impression that you're an international student. I saw that you don't have a specific place in mind yet. If you have not lived in the US and are not well-versed in the urban areas here, I recommend you take locations into consideration when making a final decision. I didn't apply for some programs solely because of their geographical location because I knew I just can't do 4-6 years in such areas. Living costs have huge gap across states, so I'd definitely check out rent prices using apartments.com and safety of the surrounding areas too. Congrats again!

Thanks for your note! I am an international student too, and I am also considering living expenses and location as critical aspects in choosing a school and program. Only one thing I am worried about is that living expenses and house rental prices in the city of Atlanta are way higher than I was thinking. I am still thinking and calculating how it would be living in that area. But I was fascinated by the applied linguistics program at Georgia State!

3 minutes ago, AplingPhd24 said:

Thanks for your note! I am an international student too, and I am also considering living expenses and location as critical aspects in choosing a school and program. Only one thing I am worried about is that living expenses and house rental prices in the city of Atlanta are way higher than I was thinking. I am still thinking and calculating how it would be living in that area. But I was fascinated by the applied linguistics program at Georgia State!

Yeah. Cost of living in the US is really high unless you live in the boonies :( I think PhD fundings are usually barely enough to get by. That was one thing about Hawaii for me, that they are one of my top choices as a program but their rent price is over the top. I'm sure a shared house would be doable, but studies were $2,000 for a box. Probably same thing with Atlanta, since it's a big city with a lot of people. Make sure to check the location of the school too. I think having a car is a must in most areas in the US because even when public transportation is good (which is rare anyway) it's usually dangerous and not reliable. I hope you guys make the best decision for you! If you have multiple offers, you can always try to negotiate the funding too. That's what my current MA advisor recommended.

2 hours ago, AplingPhd24 said:

It seems like somebody has gotten the official mail (probably rejection news) from Hawaii. I cannot expect how my status will go since my official interview was pretty intense and I am not that confident in my performance!

I feel conflicted as well. For me, one professor in particular (the oldest one if you had the same members) seemed too nonchalant about being there. Hopefully all three of us receive good news!

5 minutes ago, researteacher said:

I feel conflicted as well. For me, one professor in particular (the oldest one if you had the same members) seemed too nonchalant about being there. Hopefully all three of us receive good news!

I get what you mean. In my case, he asked me very detailed questions, making it hard for me to respond at some point. Finger crossed for all of us!

6 hours ago, researteacher said:

Thank you so much with your sincere and detailed comment! I started to get emails from GSU to accept offer and secure my spot, which makes me a bit agitated😂 As you guys commented, I will definitely take location and living expenses into account before making a final decision! As I mentioned before, I got an offer from UIUC and GSU (still waiting for ISU and UHM) but those two pose distinct advantages and disadvantages in terms of location. One thing I'm worried about UIUC is that it is situated in a college town, which may result in a safe yet potentially dull lifestyle😂 I'm still undecided whether this aspect will ultimately be an advantage or a disadvantage.

And I felt the same way with UHM. All of the committees were very friendly and supportive but one of them asked me very detailed questions about the future and past research. I'm not sure about the positive result but we'll see! Fingers crossed for all three of us! 

6 hours ago, 24PhdSLS said:

Thank you so much with your sincere and detailed comment! I started to get emails from GSU to accept offer and secure my spot, which makes me a bit agitated😂 As you guys commented, I will definitely take location and living expenses into account before making a final decision! As I mentioned before, I got an offer from UIUC and GSU (still waiting for ISU and UHM) but those two pose distinct advantages and disadvantages in terms of location. One thing I'm worried about UIUC is that it is situated in a college town, which may result in a safe yet potentially dull lifestyle😂 I'm still undecided whether this aspect will ultimately be an advantage or a disadvantage.

And I felt the same way with UHM. All of the committees were very friendly and supportive but one of them asked me very detailed questions about the future and past research. I'm not sure about the positive result but we'll see! Fingers crossed for all three of us! 

well one thing I know about UIUC is that they are really in boonies my MA advisor once told me he doesn’t understand how people live there😂 I know nothing about the areas but that’s the only comment i’ve heard! I think the school is huge and has many international students though. if you like bigger cities Georgia might be a good option between two. I know some people like quiet, rural areas. I’d definitely try to look into rent prices and the size of the town at UIUC but also Atlanta safety. I’m from South Asia with really good infrastructure and urban cities, so I know small towns in the US would be difficult for me. Currently living in a semi big city for MA, but I think bigger cities have more diversity thus less discrimination if you are POC

I just got my first admission from UW-Madison! The program director sent me an informal email with my PoI cc’ed. The official funding information will be coming in later. 

I had a really good talk with NAU last Friday too. The interview committee emailed me to apply for GTAship asap after the interview, so I have a good feeling about NAU. The PoI also emailed me to learn about my research plan in detail and gave me what her past and current students did and are doing, saying she’d have them in contact with me. 

I have one more interview with PSU tomorrow and now I just wait! I am so grateful I have been admitted to at least one that I don’t have to wait in fear anymore. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back! 

5 hours ago, researteacher said:

I just got my first admission from UW-Madison! The program director sent me an informal email with my PoI cc’ed. The official funding information will be coming in later. 

I had a really good talk with NAU last Friday too. The interview committee emailed me to apply for GTAship asap after the interview, so I have a good feeling about NAU. The PoI also emailed me to learn about my research plan in detail and gave me what her past and current students did and are doing, saying she’d have them in contact with me. 

I have one more interview with PSU tomorrow and now I just wait! I am so grateful I have been admitted to at least one that I don’t have to wait in fear anymore. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back! 

Great! Congratulations :)  I am so happy for you! 

I just wanna ask have you ever received back from MSU?

I also did an interview before but not yet any news haha. 

42 minutes ago, dreamerfor said:

Great! Congratulations :) I am so happy for you! 

I just wanna ask have you ever received back from MSU?

I also did an interview before but not yet any news haha. 

No, I still have not yet heard anything from them. At this point I think it’s either silent rejection or I’m in the bubble, but I came to consensus that MSU is not for me and vice versa. I hope you hear back soon! I’ll post it here if I get an email even for rejection. 

43 minutes ago, researteacher said:

No, I still have not yet heard anything from them. At this point I think it’s either silent rejection or I’m in the bubble, but I came to consensus that MSU is not for me and vice versa. I hope you hear back soon! I’ll post it here if I get an email even for rejection. 

Okay. Thank you. I will also update my result.  Good luck for both of us. 

1 hour ago, researteacher said:

I JUST GOT AN OFFICIAL ADMISSION FROM HAWAII

1 hour ago, 24PhdSLS said:

ME TOO! Oh my gosh this is surreal. Congratulations🥳

Congratulations to you two! I didn't get any mail which I think is rejection. Happy for you guys have multiple options!

Edited by AplingPhd24
clarification