University of Washington

For whatever it's worth, I think that my Statement of Purpose (while an excellent piece of writing for what it is) fails to meet the scope of the blog. I think I got in on other merits.

Mine talked a lot about Cormac McCarthy--and women!--but a lot about Cormac McCarthy.

Hmm. . . I feel like mine would have been attractive based on the blog, but they have really no people whose primary focus is early modern poetry, so I think that may be playing a role. I still haven't heard anything, but is that because I didn't get in, am waitlisted, my letter got lost in the mail?!?! SCREAM! I NEED to hear back from this school to really start to get some kind of closure. I may call soon. Sigh.

Good luck to everyone who got postal notifications of acceptance recently! Would any of you who are Ph.D.s mind sharing your subfields? I saw a couple rhet/comp folks, the Canadian postcolonialist, others? I'm early modern/psychoanalysis/gender studies.

Hmm. . . I feel like mine would have been attractive based on the blog, but they have really no people whose primary focus is early modern poetry, so I think that may be playing a role. I still haven't heard anything, but is that because I didn't get in, am waitlisted, my letter got lost in the mail?!?! SCREAM! I NEED to hear back from this school to really start to get some kind of closure. I may call soon. Sigh.

Good luck to everyone who got postal notifications of acceptance recently! Would any of you who are Ph.D.s mind sharing your subfields? I saw a couple rhet/comp folks, the Canadian postcolonialist, others? I'm early modern/psychoanalysis/gender studies.

Yeah, I feel ya. Still have no idea whether to expect something in the mail or email. I wonder how their waitlist works, considering that several people on the results board that got in on the MA level without funding seem to indicate that that won't be an option for them. I too, need closure. Majorly.

I'm being reviewed on the MA level but my field is 19th, 20th American Literature/film/psychoanalysis.

P.S. Congrats to those accepted!

I just got mine on Saturday. You're probably still within the realm of regular, explicable postal processes.

Sorry if this seems dismissive.

I'm a comp/rhet (rhet mainly) in case that isn't clear.

I'm sorry you haven't heard yet. I think that some programs hold back some letters and watch the forums to see the reaction.

Anyway. I just received the acceptance letter to the PhD program and my field is Medieval, particularly Early Middle English and Welsh. Best of luck to all!

I'm sorry you haven't heard yet. I think that some programs hold back some letters and watch the forums to see the reaction.

Anyway. I just received the acceptance letter to the PhD program and my field is Medieval, particularly Early Middle English and Welsh. Best of luck to all!

Watch the forums? Really?

Congrats waiting! Glad to hear, at least, you're not in my subfield ;) You got accepted to UO as well right? I'd like to hear back from UW to try to make maybe (hopefully!) a single trip out to see both schools. Any mention of a visit date in the UW package? Also, I really don't think they watch these forums. I'm sure that's a joke, Germaine!

Congrats waiting! Glad to hear, at least, you're not in my subfield ;) You got accepted to UO as well right? I'd like to hear back from UW to try to make maybe (hopefully!) a single trip out to see both schools. Any mention of a visit date in the UW package? Also, I really don't think they watch these forums. I'm sure that's a joke, Germaine!

:) I assume those committee folks have more important things to do...

Man... no funding in the first year or possibly at all. Is anyone seriously considering going into debt for an MA in English? I mean that in all seriousness, I'm wondering if they have people who pay 40,000+ in tuition and take out loans to support themselves for an English degree? I love the idea of studying at UW but I can't do no funding. I can barely live on 14K a year to begin with. I hope I don't sound crass, I really want to know who is accepting these kind of offers...

Man... no funding in the first year or possibly at all. Is anyone seriously considering going into debt for an MA in English? I mean that in all seriousness, I'm wondering if they have people who pay 40,000+ in tuition and take out loans to support themselves for an English degree? I love the idea of studying at UW but I can't do no funding. I can barely live on 14K a year to begin with. I hope I don't sound crass, I really want to know who is accepting these kind of offers...

Just out of personal curiosity - since it's an MA with a supposed implicit lead into their PhD, do they say anything about providing funding once you do go on to the PhD stage?

That blog post gives me hope: I described a project in my statement (and even used the word "project"), used the critical vocabulary of the subfield, and mentioned some of the main players on which my project would be built. Of course, this will make rejection all the more bitter if it does come my way. Hoping the mailman brings me some happy news this afternoon!

Just out of personal curiosity - since it's an MA with a supposed implicit lead into their PhD, do they say anything about providing funding once you do go on to the PhD stage?

I think it's a reapplication process. And I do think that their phd is funded at that point. I've just heard that there is absolutely no way you can get funding in the first year of the MA.

STILL no word. How many other Ph.D. applicants are still waiting with no word?

Maybe UW is like UT and this means you're wait-listed!

I applied to UW's MA program this year, but when I applied to the PhD program last Fall, they were the last school I heard from. I think it might have been April by the time I got my rejection . . . ? April or very, very late March. I think their application rate jumped up a lot last year, and they may have had trouble handling it.

I still have not heard.

I called Thursday to inquire and the secretary told that no decision had yet been made on my file.

I applied last year as well and got my rejection March 28th.

So is there really no funding for those entering at the MA level? I though they awarded a few TAships to some grad students entering with their lone BA

So is there really no funding for those entering at the MA level? I though they awarded a few TAships to some grad students entering with their lone BA

Most of their PhD applicants only have a BA, and a lot of them get funding. According to my MA application, though, a TAship is a possibility for MA students.

Edited by tortola23

I just called. I'm super impatient! Jennifer (I think that's the person I spoke to) was really friendly and said that no decision has been reached on my application. She said that decisions should be coming out over the next two weeks and to check my email and mailbox. Sigh. So it looks like if we haven't heard (and are applying for Ph.D.), we can assume that we didn't get a first-round offer, right? Ugh. Just want this waiting shit to be over!

I, as I usually am wont to do, spoke to soon. I just got an offer for funding at the master's level. I'm completely blown away, I thought it was impossible. It's for less than 14k a year, which is not much for Seattle, but still, I'm thrilled.

Congradulations to those who made it in. I'm still waiting to hear back as well. I've been rejected by all of the other schools I applied to, so this is driving me crazy.