marsmentality Posted February 12 Posted February 12 19 minutes ago, BowelMovement said: No words from UMich...Lord give me strength... it’s actually killing me… just give me a date PLEASE
Bugg Posted February 12 Posted February 12 19 minutes ago, BowelMovement said: No words from UMich...Lord give me strength... Literally I’m dying here
itsgivingliterary Posted February 12 Posted February 12 38 minutes ago, martysupreme said: not sure where JHU is in their calls but did get a call from Danielle Evans just after 5p ET. she did mention in her voicemail that they have an event tonight so not sure if there are more fiction calls to come in the morning? just sharing in case that helps with the speculation. yay congrats! martysupreme and TPike 2
Myth_KendraDanielle Posted February 12 Posted February 12 41 minutes ago, martysupreme said: not sure where JHU is in their calls but did get a call from Danielle Evans just after 5p ET. she did mention in her voicemail that they have an event tonight so not sure if there are more fiction calls to come in the morning? just sharing in case that helps with the speculation. Congrats!! I’m also taking what you said and trying to remember it so I avoid checking the spreadsheet more tonight. martysupreme 1
Bugg Posted February 13 Posted February 13 59 minutes ago, merpgirl said: so i guess mich is gonna release tomorrow? Dude i hope so 😭
guntherpingu Posted February 13 Posted February 13 3 hours ago, impatientjoy said: As a coping mechanism, I am leaning into imagining what life will be like as a future MFA student, which has been a lot of fun! But does anyone know if schools help MFA students find housing? It just seems impossible to live in so many of these places on such a small stipend. How do people do it?? After I got accepted into my program, the director put me in touch with other incoming students who were looking for housing and we decided to room together, which cut down on costs. Even with food stamps and medicaid, I still can't afford to live on my stipend. I worked part time to pay rent for the first two years, then for my third (my current year) I'm relying on my savings and the generosity of my father so I can focus on my thesis. Most programs pay poverty wages, unfortunately. SocialKonstruct 1
marsmentality Posted February 13 Posted February 13 1 hour ago, merpgirl said: so i guess mich is gonna release tomorrow? unless “week of feb 11” means that we might have to wait all the way until next wednesday… i hope not runlolarun 1
eunereun Posted February 13 Posted February 13 UHGHHHH waiting on JHU, UMich, Cornell, Brown, Iowa for Poetry. lowk DYING quetza1e5 1
BowelMovement Posted February 13 Posted February 13 34 minutes ago, marsmentality said: unless “week of feb 11” means that we might have to wait all the way until next wednesday… i hope not That would be very cruel
blue2233 Posted February 13 Posted February 13 4 hours ago, impatientjoy said: As a coping mechanism, I am leaning into imagining what life will be like as a future MFA student, which has been a lot of fun! But does anyone know if schools help MFA students find housing? It just seems impossible to live in so many of these places on such a small stipend. How do people do it?? I am a current MFA student (applying to CW PhD's this cycle) and my program didn't do much to help us find housing, but they had a housing guide/pamphlet with info about where students often chose to live and some advice. What was most helpful was asking to speak with current students and getting their advice (especially since I was moving without being able to visit at all first/check out apartments in person). I joined the school's facebook page and found roommates that way, so I ended up renting a house (surprisingly way cheaper than apartments in the area, definitely a good idea to look into various types of housing) with a grad student from my program and a grad student in a completely different program. I don't have any outside help, but I've still found the stipend to be manageable for me because of a few reasons. I live with roommates so my rent is relatively low, I babysit enough to cover groceries most months and taught an additional course one semester when it was offered (extra couple thousand which was huge!), I work over the summers, I budget carefully/use coupons, and I am lucky enough to have few major expenses (no children/dependents, few student loans, etc.). I am fortunate that the stipend at my school is relatively high in comparison to cost of living, though I know some people still find it difficult for various reasons and it is definitely still below the poverty line for the area technically. Through odd jobs and careful saving I've managed to buy a used car, almost pay off my student debt, and put a tiny bit in savings. I just want to say that to give you hope that it is more manageable than it may seem! Of course, every area/stipend is different, and everyone's life circumstances too. impatientjoy, greenleaf and lisichka 3
Walter Hartwell White Posted February 13 Posted February 13 5 hours ago, LouPatt said: Hi everyone! This is my first time posting... I’ve mostly just been quietly reading for the past few weeks. It’s honestly comforting to see there’s a little community here where we can talk openly about all of this anxiety. I applied to 12 fully funded poetry programs for my first cycle. As a first-gen student, funding was non-negotiable for me. I just don’t have the financial safety net for grad school otherwise. I think I’m posting because no one in my everyday life is applying to MFA programs, so it’s hard to explain the emotional rollercoaster to friends and family. I worked with an unofficial advisor on my portfolio and school list. He’s been a mentor for three years now, but he’s also a former poet laureate, which means I still find him a little intimidating. Before I submitted, he told me he would be shocked if I didn’t get in somewhere and that he expected multiple acceptances. I know he meant it as encouragement, but those words have been echoing in my head ever since. I’m suddenly scared of not just disappointing myself, but disappointing him too — especially if I don’t get into a top choice, or anywhere at all. I really haven't been sleeping and have this pit in my stomach 24/7. I know life goes on, but sometimes it's hard to actually conceptualize that if I don't know what the future holds. Anyways, I just needed to say that in hopes that somewhere there are people who relate. Ugh I kinda get this. I had a professor tell me I am “too talented to be a teacher/professor” and that he thinks I’ll get into a good amount of them. Lol.
XXY Posted February 13 Posted February 13 6 minutes ago, Walter Hartwell White said: “too talented to be a teacher/professor” Huh? What is this supposed to mean?
Walter Hartwell White Posted February 13 Posted February 13 (edited) 3 minutes ago, XXY said: Huh? What is this supposed to mean? No idea really. I don’t think I agree lol. But he told me that freshman year when I was asking him about how best to become a professor. Like he said “I had to be a professor, you don’t. You’re too talented.” But what that really means, idk I think teachers need some talent themselves. Edited February 13 by Walter Hartwell White
XXY Posted February 13 Posted February 13 Yeah, I wonder what he meant as well. In this day and age, so many of the most objectively "successful" writers out there are also professors.
Walter Hartwell White Posted February 13 Posted February 13 (edited) 15 minutes ago, XXY said: Yeah, I wonder what he meant as well. In this day and age, so many of the most objectively "successful" writers out there are also professors. I guess it’s meant to be encouraging, like you can do your dreams or something. But… gives me a complex now if I do end up teaching. Like I’m supposed to be “more” because “I don’t have to.” Also I don’t think I’m THAT good anyway to be egotistic enough about no teaching. Edited February 13 by Walter Hartwell White For one my grammar sucks ie this edit lol
Emblazonries Posted February 13 Posted February 13 Hello all! Chronic lurker, first time posting. Everyone is so kind and supportive here it feels like a dream. I was just wondering how often MFA applicants receive their Bachelor's in non-liberal arts subjects. I have finished my applications for the 2026 cycle (yay!) and am beginning the waiting process where I stew in my own anxiety and question EVERYTHING so bear with me haha. I am a Biology adjacent major, chemistry + history minors on the premedical track at my university, and have taken a grand total of 0 English classes. I have manage to squeeze in some Creative Writing courses, but the credits are minimal compared to the heavy STEM focus of my transcripts. I have been feeling a bit of insecurity/anxiety regarding the imbalance, especially after making it to Round 2 of Tennessee Knoxville where applicants are required to have completed 18+ credit hours in upper division English (I submit the full application anyways, fully knowing I could be thrown out on the draw). My undergraduate thesis advisor is also the MFA director at my University, and he says that it does not matter what my major is, so long as I write a kickass story for my sample. I'm not saying I don't believe him... okay, I am kind of worried that he is just trying to be nice haha. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about transcript evaluation and if little to no on paper liberal arts experience will harm my application. Thank you! SocialKonstruct and jka0124 1 1
Walter Hartwell White Posted February 13 Posted February 13 (edited) 20 minutes ago, Emblazonries said: Hello all! Chronic lurker, first time posting. Everyone is so kind and supportive here it feels like a dream. I was just wondering how often MFA applicants receive their Bachelor's in non-liberal arts subjects. I have finished my applications for the 2026 cycle (yay!) and am beginning the waiting process where I stew in my own anxiety and question EVERYTHING so bear with me haha. I am a Biology adjacent major, chemistry + history minors on the premedical track at my university, and have taken a grand total of 0 English classes. I have manage to squeeze in some Creative Writing courses, but the credits are minimal compared to the heavy STEM focus of my transcripts. I have been feeling a bit of insecurity/anxiety regarding the imbalance, especially after making it to Round 2 of Tennessee Knoxville where applicants are required to have completed 18+ credit hours in upper division English (I submit the full application anyways, fully knowing I could be thrown out on the draw). My undergraduate thesis advisor is also the MFA director at my University, and he says that it does not matter what my major is, so long as I write a kickass story for my sample. I'm not saying I don't believe him... okay, I am kind of worried that he is just trying to be nice haha. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about transcript evaluation and if little to no on paper liberal arts experience will harm my application. Thank you! I have no idea since this is my first cycle and everything and I’m following a pretty typical path (2 BAs in English & English: Professional Writing, worked at the writing center, did the college lit mag, did some articles, did academic English conferences, all what English majors are meant to do usually) so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But, it is possible to do a career change like this and still get in. Just like it’s possible for it to not happen if they feel like you don’t have enough former English education. one of my professors (not the same as the talent comment one) had a business degree in undergrad and then got an mfa. But he go an English MA first. If you don’t get in now, that’s something you could consider doing so you can gain those higher level English skills and have recommendations from an English department if you don’t have them naturally yet or even if you do. it might be something that hurts you at UTK since they have that specific requirement, but maybe they’ll find the career change a strength / interesting and want to take you on at a different school you applied to. Some schools really don’t care about your major at all. Edited February 13 by Walter Hartwell White wanted to add context Emblazonries and SocialKonstruct 2
XXY Posted February 13 Posted February 13 14 minutes ago, Emblazonries said: Hello all! Chronic lurker, first time posting. Everyone is so kind and supportive here it feels like a dream. I was just wondering how often MFA applicants receive their Bachelor's in non-liberal arts subjects. I have finished my applications for the 2026 cycle (yay!) and am beginning the waiting process where I stew in my own anxiety and question EVERYTHING so bear with me haha. I am a Biology adjacent major, chemistry + history minors on the premedical track at my university, and have taken a grand total of 0 English classes. I have manage to squeeze in some Creative Writing courses, but the credits are minimal compared to the heavy STEM focus of my transcripts. I have been feeling a bit of insecurity/anxiety regarding the imbalance, especially after making it to Round 2 of Tennessee Knoxville where applicants are required to have completed 18+ credit hours in upper division English (I submit the full application anyways, fully knowing I could be thrown out on the draw). My undergraduate thesis advisor is also the MFA director at my University, and he says that it does not matter what my major is, so long as I write a kickass story for my sample. I'm not saying I don't believe him... okay, I am kind of worried that he is just trying to be nice haha. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about transcript evaluation and if little to no on paper liberal arts experience will harm my application. Thank you! Big caveat that I can't pretend to be able to contribute any kind of expertise here, but my gut sense is that you should take what your advisor said to heart! Personally, if I were an admissions reader, I'd be open to viewing your academic background as a refreshing source of diversity (e.g., it might shape your stories' subject matter in an interesting way). If this does prove to be an issue, maybe you can join a writing group or extension course to get some workshop experience under your belt? In any case, there's nothing you can really do about this now, so I hope you don't worry too much about it! Easier said than done, I know. Walter Hartwell White, Emblazonries and lisichka 1 2
gafoo Posted February 13 Posted February 13 22 minutes ago, Emblazonries said: Hello all! Chronic lurker, first time posting. Everyone is so kind and supportive here it feels like a dream. I was just wondering how often MFA applicants receive their Bachelor's in non-liberal arts subjects. I have finished my applications for the 2026 cycle (yay!) and am beginning the waiting process where I stew in my own anxiety and question EVERYTHING so bear with me haha. I am a Biology adjacent major, chemistry + history minors on the premedical track at my university, and have taken a grand total of 0 English classes. I have manage to squeeze in some Creative Writing courses, but the credits are minimal compared to the heavy STEM focus of my transcripts. I have been feeling a bit of insecurity/anxiety regarding the imbalance, especially after making it to Round 2 of Tennessee Knoxville where applicants are required to have completed 18+ credit hours in upper division English (I submit the full application anyways, fully knowing I could be thrown out on the draw). My undergraduate thesis advisor is also the MFA director at my University, and he says that it does not matter what my major is, so long as I write a kickass story for my sample. I'm not saying I don't believe him... okay, I am kind of worried that he is just trying to be nice haha. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about transcript evaluation and if little to no on paper liberal arts experience will harm my application. Thank you! I haven’t heard back from most schools, but I made it near the top the waitlist for OSU and I was a business major ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it probably helps that I’ve spent the last year submitting to tons of indie mags and have those on my CV, but I think it really mostly just comes down to the sample! Emblazonries 1
Emblazonries Posted February 13 Posted February 13 3 minutes ago, Walter Hartwell White said: I have no idea since this is my first cycle and everything and I’m following a pretty typical path (2 BAs in English & English: Professional Writing, worked at the writing center, did the college lit mag, did some articles, did academic English conferences, all what English majors are meant to do usually) so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But, it is possible to do a career change like this and still get in. Just like it’s possible for it to not happen if they feel like you don’t have enough former English education. one of my professors (not the same as the talent comment one) had a business degree in undergrad and then got an mfa. But he go an English MA first. If you don’t get in now, that’s something you could consider doing so you can gain those higher level English skills and have recommendations from an English department if you don’t have them naturally yet or even if you do. it might be something that hurts you at UTK since they have that specific requirement, but maybe they’ll find the career change a strength / interesting and want to take you on. Some schools really don’t care about your major at all. Ah I see. Very frustrating since the writing center at my school only takes English majors, but you are right—I totally should have been applying to lit mags! Thank you for the advice about the MA too, next year I might look into that ahhhh SocialKonstruct 1
SocialKonstruct Posted February 13 Posted February 13 28 minutes ago, Emblazonries said: Hello all! Chronic lurker, first time posting. Everyone is so kind and supportive here it feels like a dream. I was just wondering how often MFA applicants receive their Bachelor's in non-liberal arts subjects. I have finished my applications for the 2026 cycle (yay!) and am beginning the waiting process where I stew in my own anxiety and question EVERYTHING so bear with me haha. I am a Biology adjacent major, chemistry + history minors on the premedical track at my university, and have taken a grand total of 0 English classes. I have manage to squeeze in some Creative Writing courses, but the credits are minimal compared to the heavy STEM focus of my transcripts. I have been feeling a bit of insecurity/anxiety regarding the imbalance, especially after making it to Round 2 of Tennessee Knoxville where applicants are required to have completed 18+ credit hours in upper division English (I submit the full application anyways, fully knowing I could be thrown out on the draw). My undergraduate thesis advisor is also the MFA director at my University, and he says that it does not matter what my major is, so long as I write a kickass story for my sample. I'm not saying I don't believe him... okay, I am kind of worried that he is just trying to be nice haha. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about transcript evaluation and if little to no on paper liberal arts experience will harm my application. Thank you! I probably am the wrong person to ask since I have um... 4 degrees already so far. A BA in English Literature/Creative Writing, then a MPH in Environmental Health Sciences... lately a BFA in Photography and Digital Imaging and just last year a MFA in Graduate Fine Art/studio art. Emblazonries 1
Walter Hartwell White Posted February 13 Posted February 13 2 minutes ago, Emblazonries said: Ah I see. Very frustrating since the writing center at my school only takes English majors, but you are right—I totally should have been applying to lit mags! Thank you for the advice about the MA too, next year I might look into that ahhhh Really? That’s interesting. Mine wanted other majors to show that 1. Anyone can write and be good at it so kinda encouraging and 2. Have a different perspective on writing. Like it’s good to have other subjects help tutor writing because expectations are way different. However it still mostly had majority English majors or Professional Writing working there just because who wanted to apply likely did these. But yeah, I don’t know they probably get thousands of applications who did exactly what I did to a tee, but not as many who do what you did. They might find that refreshing to see what you can bring that’s unique. I could have applied to more external lit mags but I do take pride in my university publications for sure. I was also editor-in-chief for 2 years. But I’m sure several here did something like that if their college had a lit mag so is it as unique as your science stuff? Not really. SocialKonstruct 1
Emblazonries Posted February 13 Posted February 13 11 minutes ago, XXY said: Big caveat that I can't pretend to be able to contribute any kind of expertise here, but my gut sense is that you should take what your advisor said to heart! Personally, if I were an admissions reader, I'd be open to viewing your academic background as a refreshing source of diversity (e.g., it might shape your stories' subject matter in an interesting way). If this does prove to be an issue, maybe you can join a writing group or extension course to get some workshop experience under your belt? In any case, there's nothing you can really do about this now, so I hope you don't worry too much about it! Easier said than done, I know. That's a good way of putting it. I am hoping to bring some of my medical background into my pieces so hopefully the alternate perspective is received well. Fingers crossed. I've always wanted to join a writing group as well and should definitely look into that for the summer! SocialKonstruct 1
SocialKonstruct Posted February 13 Posted February 13 1 hour ago, Emblazonries said: That's a good way of putting it. I am hoping to bring some of my medical background into my pieces so hopefully the alternate perspective is received well. Fingers crossed. I've always wanted to join a writing group as well and should definitely look into that for the summer! Indeed let's look at solid writers who didn't have an English literature degrees but are still kickass writers... 1) Lewis Thomas 2) William Faulkner (didn't even bother with college) 3) Claude Simon (studied painting not literature) 4) William Gaddis 5) Don Delillo (communication arts major) 6) Cormac McCarthy (he actually hated other writers) 7) Harper Lee 😎 Thomas Pynchon (engineering and physics) 9) Ray Bradbury (another who needs college) 10) George Orwell and so on... English lit degrees are fun but in no way are needed to be a fabulous writer/author Jim VK and lisichka 2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now