It's February

communications13

i too had a "yippee, it's february!" moment this morning...but then i realized in approx. a month, my fate will be sealed. yeep!

Oh my god, I should not have read this. You're totally right (at least I hope that at least 3 of my 5 schools will be having sent out acceptances/rejections by the end of the month). Now I'm even more nervous. Also because I haven't had any interviews - this drives me craaaaazy!

Just like they've come up with the April 15th rule, there should also be a rule that ALL universities will declare results within a 3 week band for a particular program area. This would make life so much easier. I was fine until I got an email about an interview and since then admissions anxiety has suddenly pervaded my life. To think that this could continue till March end is cruel. Then again, the pep talk I give myself is: forget it. Expect the worst. And dont care about it. If it happens, it happens. Let go. My internal deadline for deciding about my future is March 15th. Thats when I decide, to go for a particular program or none at all.

I think I may actually try to flat out ignore the results board until the end of February. I've been controlling my nerves pretty well, but my heart skipped a beat this morning when I saw an acceptance posted for my top choice school...and then realized it was for a totally different subfield/degree. I cannot become a crazy person. I have too much shit to do this month. :rolleyes:

Anyone with me?

I think I may actually try to flat out ignore the results board until the end of February. I've been controlling my nerves pretty well, but my heart skipped a beat this morning when I saw an acceptance posted for my top choice school...and then realized it was for a totally different subfield/degree. I cannot become a crazy person. I have too much shit to do this month. :rolleyes:

Anyone with me?

Ive been trying to do this for weeks already. Seriously, if you think about it, there's no reason to continually check that thing. If you're accepted or invited for an interview, you'll find out basically the same time everyone else does. And if you're rejected, well ... do you really need to obsessively check all the posts from the fortunate people who were given offers? I prefer to keep that last glimmer of hope until April 15, tyvm.

I'll be finding out sometime in the next week if I'm accepted to one of my top choice programs and if I get an interview for another one of my top choice programs. This week is gonna go by sooo slow....

@Tiglath-Pileser III : what dyo mean by a consolation prize? did they accept you or not?

A consolation prize is not an acceptance into the PhD program, but some lesser offer. In my case, it was an offer into a 1-yr MA program. So, at the end of last year, I did not have admittance into a PhD program, but I did have somewhere to go. In retrospect, I probably should have taken a year off instead. But, hindsight is 20-20.

Its February. AHHHHH!!!

I was okay waiting through January because I didn't think I'd hear anything till February or March. I did hear from one school and already got an acceptance. Which should have taken some of the stress off, but it didn't. Now that I haven't heard anything or gotten an interview with any other programs, I feel like I'm going to get rejection letters from the rest.

Does anyone know if most school send out rejection letters at the same time as acceptance letters or do they usually send the rejections when they know they aren't giving you an interview? I'm sure all programs are different but is there a norm for the process?

I was okay waiting through January because I didn't think I'd hear anything till February or March. I did hear from one school and already got an acceptance. Which should have taken some of the stress off, but it didn't. Now that I haven't heard anything or gotten an interview with any other programs, I feel like I'm going to get rejection letters from the rest.

Does anyone know if most school send out rejection letters at the same time as acceptance letters or do they usually send the rejections when they know they aren't giving you an interview? I'm sure all programs are different but is there a norm for the process?

While I hate you for having an acceptance in hand... just kidding biggrin.gif... your question is a good one. There seems to be two rounds of rejections. The early rejections often come before the acceptances and are done to cull out the candidates that really don't have a chance of getting into the program. This is often done by administrators to narrow the candidate pool to a reasonable size for the admissions committee. These early rejections often go out a month or two before the bulk of decisions are made. Interview invites often go out during these first round of rejections. It's hard to say anything definitive about the interview process because departmental policies vary so widely here. It's usually really a bad sign to be included in this first round of rejections. Often the second round of rejections goes out after all the acceptance offers are made, although a few applications may be wait-listed quietly pending offers being accepted/rejected.

As in all things, it will depend upon departmental policies and procedures. Some schools will not have a early round of rejections. Some schools do not have wait-lists. Some will not even send you a rejection figuring that April 15th has passed you by so you should just know you did not get in.

Maybe a silly question but what is that rule? I guess when you have to accept the uni right?

Right, acceptances in force on April 15 are considered binding. So you have until April 15 to make a decision and if you have made a commitment by/on April 15, then they're stuck with you and you with them. If you want to back out after April 15 and go to another school, the uni would have to release you from your commitment first. Here's the resolution: http://www.cgsnet.org/?tabid=201

Edited by newms

Some will not even send you a rejection figuring that April 15th has passed you by so you should just know you did not get in.

Its amazing that we put ourselves through a process that not only can reject us, but completely dismiss us. And we keep applying in droves.

Also its fine, you can hate me. I've been hated for much worse things :rolleyes:.

I was excited, but I think the snow in New England screwed up decisions for a couple weeks. I was hoping this week and next would be high-time to hear back. I've heard from 1.5 schools (yes 1.5).

The results sections is great, but last year people discovered that a lot of non-posting members were a little quick on the trigger in posting results, or out right lied about results. I'm not getting to freaked about what I see there unless several people post results from the same school. There should be enough people following this site for that to be a legit marker of validity.

Why would anyone lie about their results on a anonymous results page ?

It's a completely serious question.

MAPSS?

A consolation prize is not an acceptance into the PhD program, but some lesser offer. In my case, it was an offer into a 1-yr MA program. So, at the end of last year, I did not have admittance into a PhD program, but I did have somewhere to go. In retrospect, I probably should have taken a year off instead. But, hindsight is 20-20.

Why would anyone lie about their results on a anonymous results page ?

It's a completely serious question.

I wonder if it's the same reason people have put Jedi School, Drag U, and some universe of life nonsense. It really, REALLY irks me.

I wonder if it's the same reason people have put Jedi School, Drag U, and some universe of life nonsense. It really, REALLY irks me.

Yeah really, with this level of maturity, these folks are planning to start grad school?? Or maybe they've just gone nuts because of the waiting ;)

February.

Day 4.

12:49AM

Thinking up ways to strap myself to chair to prevent obsessive mailbox checking.

Can you strap me first before you strap yourself? Refreshing my mailbox with intervals the size of the Planck constant... sigh!

The only way I can stop the email and Gradcafe obsession is by literally forcing myself to go somewhere. E.g. yesterday I forced myself to go grocery shopping. At least it killed a couple of hours. And the bad weather in the north is really annoying me because I feel like it's slowing down the process and delaying notifications from schools in that region.