U of Wisconsin Madison

I noticed on the results board that someone posted acceptance to U of Wisconsin at Madison for the PhD track. Anyone care to claim, and also, if you don't mind to post your stats? BTW, congrats!

I don't see a UW Madison acceptance...

As someone pointed out to me in another thread, the Comp program is entirely separate from the Lit one. Perhaps you're waiting to hear from the comp program, but I'm holding my breath for the lit one. I was told we'd hear before the 14th and UW is my top choice. I've been going crazy wondering all weekend...

I've been trying not to get my hopes up for schools like UW, Michigan, UT, etc. These programs seem to get even more apps than Ivies, 400+, and then accept 10 people or so. So I'm trying to have low expectations :).

As someone pointed out to me in another thread, the Comp program is entirely separate from the Lit one. Perhaps you're waiting to hear from the comp program, but I'm holding my breath for the lit one. I was told we'd hear before the 14th and UW is my top choice. I've been going crazy wondering all weekend...

I've been trying not to get my hopes up for schools like UW, Michigan, UT, etc. These programs seem to get even more apps than Ivies, 400+, and then accept 10 people or so. So I'm trying to have low expectations :).

Me too, Woolfie. I'm just glad that I applied to a few programs that get only ~100 applications; otherwise, I'd be losing my mind right about now.

I've been doing a lot of hovering by the mailbox for Madison. Good gracious I hope they make an early year of it and inform us soon! My Madison friends have been sending me pictures of the Snowpocalypse to try and keep me from getting too anxious, but the shock factor will only work for so long! :)

I'm waiting for lit too. It seems like everyone applying for lit programs included UW in their list of schools. The good news, in my mind, is that at least they told us when to expect an answer. This way, it might be more nerve-wracking next week, but we don't have to wait indefinitely. (I saw that Purdue waits until, like, April for lots of people - argh!)

I'm waiting for lit too. It seems like everyone applying for lit programs included UW in their list of schools. The good news, in my mind, is that at least they told us when to expect an answer. This way, it might be more nerve-wracking next week, but we don't have to wait indefinitely. (I saw that Purdue waits until, like, April for lots of people - argh!)

Yes, I'm expecting to see a few UW acceptances on the results page in the coming week and then have my heart sink with disappointment. Expected disappointment though.

I'm wondering, since they have so many applicants, what are some of the specialties of people applying to UW's lit program? Do many of you have MAs or straight out of undergrad? Me, I only have a BA and I put early American/narrative theory as my specialties for my UW app.

Yes, I'm expecting to see a few UW acceptances on the results page in the coming week and then have my heart sink with disappointment. Expected disappointment though.

I'm wondering, since they have so many applicants, what are some of the specialties of people applying to UW's lit program? Do many of you have MAs or straight out of undergrad? Me, I only have a BA and I put early American/narrative theory as my specialties for my UW app.

I have just a BA as well and want to specialize in Victorian and Gender Studies. Their professors' publications seem really fascinating!

I'm 20th century American, looking to work in particular with Thomas Schaub on Cold War studies there.

Edit: And I have only a BA.

I want to work in Victorian and postmodern novel/narrative theory & economic criticism. I have an MFA, but suspect I'd enter at the MA stage.

Edited by DisneyLeith

Right there with you, dudes/dudettes (and feeling punchy, apparently). I can't check my application status online either as I cannot, for the life of me, remember the login info--you have to call the help desk to reset the whole thing which just isn't possible for me here in India. *Sigh*

I have an MFA, so I assume if accepted, I'm starting off at the MA level. My interests lie in transatlantic representations of the intersection of science/technology and gender identity during the late 19th C. early 20th C. (which is such a mouthful).

The 14th? Where did you hear that? Yikes!

I'm also really excited about Madison.

(20th c. American Poetry)

The 14th? Where did you hear that? Yikes!

I'm also really excited about Madison.

(20th c. American Poetry)

The department sent out an email about two weeks ago and said if we haven't heard from them by the 14th or if our online status hasn't changed by the 14th we should contact the department directly. The annoying part of the email was that the first three sentences or so almost made it sound like you were about to get rejected.... but then suddenly it was just a "don't call us, we'll call you" type thing.

I've applied to the PhD in Composition & Rhetoric, so I'm waiting to hear about that. And I have an MA in Gender & Cultural Studies.

Edited by snappysorbet

The department sent out an email about two weeks ago and said if we haven't heard from them by the 14th or if our online status hasn't changed by the 14th we should contact the department directly. The annoying part of the email was that the first three sentences or so almost made it sound like you were about to get rejected.... but then suddenly it was just a "don't call us, we'll call you" type thing.

I've applied to the PhD in Composition & Rhetoric, so I'm waiting to hear about that. And I have an MA in Gender & Cultural Studies.

Oh, I've applied for Lit and never got that email, so I guess Lit may be on a different time line. (if anyone applied to Lit and received an email like the one described, please feel free to prove me wrong.) Thanks!

Oh, I've applied for Lit and never got that email, so I guess Lit may be on a different time line. (if anyone applied to Lit and received an email like the one described, please feel free to prove me wrong.) Thanks!

I applied to Lit and got that same email, but I think there are other Lit people who didn't. I have a feeling that who got/didn't get the email doesn't mean anything :)

I applied to the lit program and received the same email. Decisions will be made by the 14th.

This is the email:

Dear _______________

Thank you for your application to the graduate programs in English at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. We received a great number of applications to our various areas of study this year, and all are currently under the various admissions committees' careful review. You are no doubt anxious to have some word about your application status. We hope to convey this information to you and the other applicants in the very near future. In the meantime, we do ask for your patience. You will be hearing from us. If you have not heard by February 14 and/or you do not see your status changed on the My UW Portal (you should have received information about this portal in an email from the Graduate School shortly after you submitted your electronic application), please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Robyn Shanahan

Graduate Coordinator

Department of English

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Edited by BillyPilgrim

Yep, I'm a Lit. applicant, and I got this email as well.

I applied to the lit program and received the same email. Decisions will be made by the 14th.

This is the email:

Dear _______________

Thank you for your application to the graduate programs in English at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. We received a great number of applications to our various areas of study this year, and all are currently under the various admissions committees' careful review. You are no doubt anxious to have some word about your application status. We hope to convey this information to you and the other applicants in the very near future. In the meantime, we do ask for your patience. You will be hearing from us. If you have not heard by February 14 and/or you do not see your status changed on the My UW Portal (you should have received information about this portal in an email from the Graduate School shortly after you submitted your electronic application), please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Robyn Shanahan

Graduate Coordinator

Department of English

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Huh, I'm a lit applicant and I never got that one...I did get one on Dec 29 that ended with "We look forward to being in contact with you. The admissions committees are on break at this time so be aware that the review process will not begin until after January 10. Most admission decisions will be relayed sometime in February," but nothing after.

I have an MA and my focus is intersections between medieval Arthurian and British Modernism...UW has amazing resources for medievalists!

Huh, I'm a lit applicant and I never got that one...I did get one on Dec 29 that ended with "We look forward to being in contact with you. The admissions committees are on break at this time so be aware that the review process will not begin until after January 10. Most admission decisions will be relayed sometime in February," but nothing after.

I have an MA and my focus is intersections between medieval Arthurian and British Modernism...UW has amazing resources for medievalists!

I just thoroughly searched my email, and I have not received it either. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that they don't have our names on an email list or are not considering our applications for the correct program.

I think this waiting period has made me more paranoid than I had ever imagined possible. Thank god it will be over soon(ish).

I just thoroughly searched my email, and I have not received it either. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that they don't have our names on an email list or are not considering our applications for the correct program.

I think this waiting period has made me more paranoid than I had ever imagined possible. Thank god it will be over soon(ish).

I know, I just did a thorough search of my spam folder and I feel like the craziest of crazies right now. I'm glad this can only go on for so much longer :(

Wow, it seems like a lot of people are applying with MAs already in hand. Is Madison one of those programs that lets you in at advanced standing? I know some programs don't do that. If so, do you think those without MAs are competing for the same spots?