Questions to Ask after Admission

Viking

Great thread idea.

Assuming you are speaking with your adviser, I would ask: how often do your grant requests include funding for grad students to accompany you in the field?

I was under the impression there isn't much travel (aside from conferences) in political science. Is there a significant amount of research-related travel? Is it limited to comparative folks?

Edited by Viking

Dunno for sure. I can only speak to comparative, and then only a little.

In that case, though, you do see students discussing field research in their bios at some schools (Berkeley is one example) and I have heard that some profs have reputations for writing grad students into funding requests (Reno at N'western is one example).

The reality of that funding is hard to know from the outside, but I'd think that faculty and schools that profess a greater level of support for research in that fashion would be better than those that don't (all else being equal).

Another couple of questions I'd think about asking are:

-how well connected is the school/you and your students to private or government institutions that hire students for projects during school

-do you offer grant writing support for students interested in petitioning organizations individually

I think it may be useful to ask about : placement records, completition rates and time to graduate, training (methods- qualitative, quantitative take your pick ) , requirements, substansive classes, incoming class size and funding, summer funding, dissertation completion funding, whether the people who you want to work with are available and will be available for 5 more years(with possible options to fall back on if a person drops out for some unforseeable reason), interdepartmental connections -if you need training in econ, sociology, geography etc... Just my 2 cents.

sorry I realize that you may all think about asking these questions.. well.. just in case.

Edited by kalapocska

For me, summer funding is one of the most important questions. Also important for me are: whether insurance covers spouse and kids, whether it has dental, whether they have a day care subsidy and whether teaching load is flexible and mandatory.

• 2 weeks later...

Three very important questions to ask:

1) Summer funding?

2) Summer funding?

3) Hey, do you offer summer funding?

In what form does one normally receive summer funding? Do you mean funding for research? Opportunities to RA/TA over the summer?

I have these grand visions in which I spend summers conducting fieldwork abroad and writing/polishing a paper. In reality, I'm probably going to be collecting data for a prof, right?

Also, thanks for hanging around here now that you're in a program.

Edited by Tufnel

In what form does one normally receive summer funding? Do you mean funding for research? Opportunities to RA/TA over the summer?

I have these grand visions in which I spend summers conducting fieldwork abroad and writing/polishing a paper. In reality, I'm probably going to be collecting data for a prof, right?

Also, thanks for hanging around here now that you're in a program.

Any number of ways. You might RA, which presupposes a prof (1) wanting to hire you and (2) having money in the ol' budget for an RA, or (2a) the university having money for profs to supplement research accounts to hire RAs. It might mean lots of teaching availability in the summer for grad students. It might mean funds for your lovely summers abroad getting datums. It really does vary by department and university, which is why it's a handy question to ask! Having been in two programs, I can tell you that one of the most obvious differences is summer funding. At my first, none was available (other than for ICPSR, but nothing to live on) until you could teach your own classes in the summer---which was then contingent on getting enough to enroll, of course. At my second (and current), there are dedicated streams for this kind of thing for RAing or working on the dreaded second-year paper. The variance is massive.

I'd always planned to go back into consulting during the summers, failing any sort of direct funding for thesis research.

That thinking was totally driven by finances. Is there any particular reason I'd prefer to teach or RA?

RAing provides a lot of opportunity to get a sense of what real research looks like. Many classes---be they substantive or technical---offer an idea of what scholarship looks like, but sometimes they don't give a sense of what the process feels like. I have gotten a lot out of RAing. Further, many people use RA assignments as a starting point for collaboration with faculty. So, sure, there are some advantages.

One good question is to ask about the nuts and bolts of TAing. At many places, the obligation has been factored into your stipend, but at others, teaching is added on to your stipend. So, depending on what kind of a class you teach (and how many hours it meets), you can get an extra $2,500 to $5,000 per semester.

NYU has recently moved from the former system to the latter, but I'm not sure how representative they are, and my impression is that they did this in response to efforts to unionize grad students, which is to say not out of the kindness of their hearts.

• 6 years later...

Here's the list I'm working on.  It's mostly on the logistical side.

Do most professors let you write notes with a laptop, or do I need to figure out an alternative note-taking apparatus?
What kind of research will I be able to do my first year?
Do I start with an assigned POI? How is that determined?
I’m working on a book review.  Should I list my current institution, or where I’ll be when the review is published?
What reference tool do people use the most?  Endnote?  Mendeley?  Notecards?  Is there one the university provides for free?
Are there funds for going to conferences?  For non-presenters?
Can I get a sample schedule or at least start talking about what classes would be when and a time line?
When they say a major area and a minor area, do they mean within the department, or in the rest of  the school?
Do people who are teaching get a university laptop?
Summer funding?

I would encourage new students (as a current grad student) to ask questions about funding, it's very important. Some of my suggested questions (on funding and other issues):

- Ask if you can get a fellowship your first year. This is important because it is an adjustment time and you want to do well in your first year.

- If you are a comparativist, ask if you can get a two-year fellowship: one for your first year, another for your ABD time so you can do fieldwork for a year.

- Overall, ask for reduction in teaching load. If your funding offer says you need to work 5 years, ask if you can get a fellowship (which means money for no work).

- Conference funding: many departments have a $300-500 cap. This is not enough. Ask if you can get, as part of your package, a guarantee for $1000 conference funding annually. This is difficult to get but doesn't hurt to ask. 

- If you are a comparativist and are going to a university that does not have a center that works on your region of interest, tell your DGS you need some fieldwork support (summer funding). For example, you study Africa, and your university has excellent support for those studying Latin American and Europe. Say you need to have funding to do your fieldwork, given that your fellow grads have that funding in area-centers and you do not.

- Don't ask about note-taking with a laptop etc. This is not appropriate: you are expected to be in the seminar even if you use a laptop. Everyone in my program uses their laptop during the seminar but they are fully engaged in discussion. You cannot let them think you're still thinking like an undergrad. Don't dream of a laptop for your TA position... it's unheard of.

- Office space: you just cannot negotiate this, but it's important. All else being equal (similar ranking/funding/placement record), between two departments, I'd choose the one with more generous office space. 

-  Try to negotiate a relocation fund as part of your package: I know people who got as much as $8,000-$10,000 from a public university for a move from the coast to the Midwest.

- Ask if they can sponsor your membership in APSA (or ISA or w/e you want) annually.

- Job market support: practice job talks, mock interviews, etc?

- Summer funding, summer funding, summer funding...

55 minutes ago, PoliSci-freak said:

I would encourage new students (as a current grad student) to ask questions about funding, it's very important. Some of my suggested questions (on funding and other issues):

- Ask if you can get a fellowship your first year. This is important because it is an adjustment time and you want to do well in your first year.

- If you are a comparativist, ask if you can get a two-year fellowship: one for your first year, another for your ABD time so you can do fieldwork for a year.

- Overall, ask for reduction in teaching load. If your funding offer says you need to work 5 years, ask if you can get a fellowship (which means money for no work).

- Conference funding: many departments have a $300-500 cap. This is not enough. Ask if you can get, as part of your package, a guarantee for $1000 conference funding annually. This is difficult to get but doesn't hurt to ask. 

- If you are a comparativist and are going to a university that does not have a center that works on your region of interest, tell your DGS you need some fieldwork support (summer funding). For example, you study Africa, and your university has excellent support for those studying Latin American and Europe. Say you need to have funding to do your fieldwork, given that your fellow grads have that funding in area-centers and you do not.

- Don't ask about note-taking with a laptop etc. This is not appropriate: you are expected to be in the seminar even if you use a laptop. Everyone in my program uses their laptop during the seminar but they are fully engaged in discussion. You cannot let them think you're still thinking like an undergrad. Don't dream of a laptop for your TA position... it's unheard of.

- Office space: you just cannot negotiate this, but it's important. All else being equal (similar ranking/funding/placement record), between two departments, I'd choose the one with more generous office space. 

-  Try to negotiate a relocation fund as part of your package: I know people who got as much as $8,000-$10,000 from a public university for a move from the coast to the Midwest.

- Ask if they can sponsor your membership in APSA (or ISA or w/e you want) annually.

- Job market support: practice job talks, mock interviews, etc?

- Summer funding, summer funding, summer funding...

Wow! This response is amazing ?Thanks ??

1 hour ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Thank you--this is really useful, but as a follow up, would it be appropriate to ask professors about funding and logistical issues like that or would that be better directed towards people like the Graduate Program Coordinator? (After taking some time to see if I can answer them myself.)

I think I feel so wary about asking professors questions because it feels like I could find out a lot of information about funding/TA obligations/placements myself with just a bit of extra effort and don't want to be perceived as wasting the professor's time...

10 hours ago, izmir said:

Wow! This response is amazing ?Thanks ??

You're welcome!

10 hours ago, cedfik said:

Thank you--this is really useful, but as a follow up, would it be appropriate to ask professors about funding and logistical issues like that or would that be better directed towards people like the Graduate Program Coordinator? (After taking some time to see if I can answer them myself.)

I think I feel so wary about asking professors questions because it feels like I could find out a lot of information about funding/TA obligations/placements myself with just a bit of extra effort and don't want to be perceived as wasting the professor's time...

You want to keep the funding questions to the Director of Graduate Studies. There is a difference between the Director of Grad Studies (which is a faculty member) and the Coordinator (which is a staff member). Those names may vary across departments, but the idea remains the same. The coordinator (staff) takes care of your paper work etc. The DGS (faculty) is the one who decides your funding package. You want to ask the DGS about extra funding. Individual profs cannot change your package, BUT if your POI is a big deal in their department, they can in fact do so indirectly, by telling DGS 'I'm very interested in this student, can we get them some extra money'? You want to keep your questions about funding to profs at a minimum, only after an extensive conversation, in person (not in groups), ask about options for potentially increasing your funding. Then with DGS, be more direct and say you are hoping to get a two-year fellowship etc. Again do this with DGS in an in-person meeting or over email before/after the visit (don't email about this DURING the visit). They want this to be a personal conversation because if you do it over dinner for example with other students around, you are encouraging other students to ask (which is great) but the DGS won't like that.

Also, you cannot get all the info you need about funding online. Students come in with very different package and it is rarely because one students deserves better: usually because one students was more confident to ask. Just ask about it. Then insist (politely). Say it will be difficult for me to move (with my partner/kids or giving up my current job etc) without some extra support. Show them other offers you've gotten (if they are more money/fellowship, even if it's a less ranked department, they want you and would rather you go there than to that less ranked department because of $3,500 a year, for example.

8 hours ago, CandyCanes said:

Is it rude to ask about how their department compares to peer departments? (Like, does it make you look like you're obsessed with prestige or ungrateful for their offer or something?)

Totally legitimate if framed right. Ask about placement record, say 'have your students placed well'? etc. Those are questions you can answer yourself of course, but you need to ask about placement. Maybe ask about an aspect not available online: how do they prepare their students for job talks etc? Also, if you are going there because you are interested in feminist theory and they only have one faculty working on that, ask what is your vision for department growth, any new hirings soon, what about this area?

Great topic - I also have about a million questions about this. For example, I have a phone call with a POI tomorrow to discuss our "mutual research interests." What should I expect from this conversation? Should I be ready to discuss research project ideas or will that seem arrogant? Would it be appropriate to ask the POI about their philosophy for advising students and what kind of RA work students have done in the past for them?

Another separate issue with a different POI at a different institution: I got a terrible funding offer from this school. Unlivable, really. The feeling I get is that most of the adcomm weren't fans of me - the program is ranked in the 5-15 range, has a history of good offers and an excellent reputation, and is "fully funded", which is why I'm assuming this. The POI (who was on adcomm) is clearly advocating for me, because the school revised the funding offer slightly without any prompting from me and CCed the POI on the email. The new offer is still unlivable. At this point, I have better funding offers from schools with better placement records, thankfully.

Still, the POI contacted me offering a phone call. They are respected in the field, and I don't know how to respond. It feels like this person is going to bat for me, but no one else is. I would like to tell them over email that I'd be happy to discuss our research interests, but that at this point I will likely not attend the program due to its funding offer. Is this a polite and acceptable response, or would that burn a bridge with someone high up in my field? Should I just go through with the call and ask questions about the program like a regular POI call?

@megabee Are you going to decline their offer because of their poor funding package or because you are set on accepting offers from other schools? If it's the latter case, I think it's polite to say that you're enthusiastic about their program and appreciate the department's interest in you but you received alternative offers from X and Y and have to respectfully decline. You may also want to officially decline their offer and mention in the email that you hope this early notice allows them to extend an offer to an additional deserving candidate, which I'm sure they would appreciate.

If you want to attend that school, provided funding is not an issue, you might as well just go to town to bargain with them (with DGS and program admin of course, not your POI). An extra effort will probably make a big difference for your living experience for the next five years. In this case, I think you should make it clear to your POI what's holding you back on their offer.

2 hours ago, megabee said:

Great topic - I also have about a million questions about this. For example, I have a phone call with a POI tomorrow to discuss our "mutual research interests." What should I expect from this conversation? Should I be ready to discuss research project ideas or will that seem arrogant? Would it be appropriate to ask the POI about their philosophy for advising students and what kind of RA work students have done in the past for them?

Another separate issue with a different POI at a different institution: I got a terrible funding offer from this school. Unlivable, really. The feeling I get is that most of the adcomm weren't fans of me - the program is ranked in the 5-15 range, has a history of good offers and an excellent reputation, and is "fully funded", which is why I'm assuming this. The POI (who was on adcomm) is clearly advocating for me, because the school revised the funding offer slightly without any prompting from me and CCed the POI on the email. The new offer is still unlivable. At this point, I have better funding offers from schools with better placement records, thankfully.

Still, the POI contacted me offering a phone call. They are respected in the field, and I don't know how to respond. It feels like this person is going to bat for me, but no one else is. I would like to tell them over email that I'd be happy to discuss our research interests, but that at this point I will likely not attend the program due to its funding offer. Is this a polite and acceptable response, or would that burn a bridge with someone high up in my field? Should I just go through with the call and ask questions about the program like a regular POI call?

Agreed with the post above. If this was a few days away, I'd say email and say something along the lines of 'I don't want to waste your time, is it going to be possible to increase my funding? If that is non-negotiable, I would like to decline the offer before our conversation.'  If it's tomorrow, take it. In the conversation, s/he will ask you if you have any questions: ask what could be done to make your funding situation better, say you have other offers.

Afterwards, send an email to the DGS and tell them how well the conversation went, and say what kinds of offers you have and ask for more. If you get a clear and blunt no then thank them and decline the offer.

You never know what this conversation has in store, and as the person above said a little effort can make a big difference in your professional career. Don't be shy to ask is what I learnt in this entire process: ask for more, get more. The only reason they won't give you is either because they actually don't have any more money, or because they don't care if you go elsewhere/have enough students good students that have accepted that they're already satisfied with their class.

38 minutes ago, BobBobBob said:

Are you going to decline their offer because of their poor funding package or because you are set on accepting offers from other schools? If it's the latter case, I think it's polite to say that you're enthusiastic about their program and appreciate the department's interest in you but you received alternative offers from X and Y and have to respectfully decline. You may also want to officially decline their offer and mention in the email that you hope this early notice allows them to extend an offer to an additional deserving candidate, which I'm sure they would appreciate.

If you want to attend that school, provided funding is not an issue, you might as well just go to town to bargain with them (with DGS and program admin of course, not your POI). An extra effort will probably make a big difference for your living experience for the next five years. In this case, I think you should make it clear to your POI what's holding you back on their offer.

Thank you for your advice. Related follow up question: Is it expected to name drop other programs ("alternative offers from X and Y") when declining an offer? My immediate instinct if I was writing that email would be to say 'another institution' rather than tell them explicitly which one.