Do professors care if you wear sweatpants all the time?

InquilineKea

My two cents on leggings:

If they're worn under a skirt or a dress, they look fashionable and nice. If they're worn simply as pants, they look tacky.

As a straight dude, I am not against tackily-worn leggings if they're anything like the example from your post. And this is coming from a sharp dresser, too. :lol:

I've never had a professor that didn't understand sincere medical issues. If you really run into trouble with your photosensitivity, I'm sure you can get a letter from your school's disability office.

• 4 weeks later...

I never leave my apartment without putting on a tuxedo and a top hat. Even if I'm just going to the grocery store to pick up some lean cuisines, I gotta look good.

Some people think I take myself too seriously, but whateves, haters gonna hate.

LMAO. Summers I rock sweatpants and crappy t-shirts. I mean these aren't fashion runways; so long as you aren't smelling odious and with crazy stains loungewear is fine.

How you dress depends on a large number of factors, only some of which are mentioned here. For me, dress also has to do with class access, gender identity and presentation, and ability. As a person who has grown up without money, I understand that reliable, well made clothes that look presentable can be fairly difficult to come by, especially if expendable cash is unheard of. Of course it's important to dress to the standards of your program, but not everyone will dress how you expect them to all the time. I agree with one of the posters somewhere on the first few pages: make sure you have a variety of pieces that work for a variety of situations.

As for leggings/pants, I wear leggings all the time. I've been a hobby sewist most of my life (related to the poor folk thing, probably), so I sew my own leggings. I don't, however, wear them as pants. I wear a lot of pieces with movement because I don't like feeling constrained in my clothes (leggings and knit tube skirts [looking at my outfit right now, I'm wearing entirely knit fabrics. I feel like an American Apparel advertisement], or woven skirts with a high waist paired with a cardigan looks well put together but provides a lot of room). Of course, I'm also allergic to caffeine, so I don't have the coffee addiction of most students and therefore do stretches a few times per day to energize.

I think the acceptability of sweat pants depends entirely on the level of the class (ie, 100+ lectures are beyond anybody caring about sweat pants), weather (if you're dealing with winter, some folk have trouble adjusting appropriately), and circumstance. That said, I personally find sweat pants to be ... tacky. I mean, I'm the first to admit that sometimes you just feel so crappy that sweats are you're only way to cope, but for the most part if you're feeling that bad you should just stay home and sleep. Doesn't always work out well though, so allowances must be made.

A dark pair of jeans is just as simple, and nearly as comfortable. Plus, way less tacky. But if sweats must be worn, please, for the love of the gods, make sure they do NOT have nonsense scrawled on the ass! Save that for the gym and/or laundry day. Seriously.

My only issue with leggings is that, far too often, they're ... not entirely opaque. And often entirely too tight. I get that the tight part is kind of how they're supposed to be, but unless one is pretty damn skinny, it just doesn't look good. Leggings under a dress or skirt though, that I have no problem with. Unless they're mostly see through and the dress/skirt is dangerously too short.

My only other "thing" worth mentioning, is visible undergarments. Whether we're talking about the men's trend of baggy pants & exposed boxers, the women's trend (hopefully accidental, but sadly I doubt it) of visible thong, or bras that are entirely too visible (shirt too thin, shirt cut too damn small, etc.) ... they're called UNDERwear for a reason. They're meant to be worn UNDER your clothing. As in NOT part of the visible outfit. I'll give a pass on the occasional bra strap, because holy damn those things are sneaky bitches, but that's it.

Wow. I feel so ... old. And crotchety. Meh. So I guess the takeaway from this is that even if your professors don't care about what you wear, somebody, somewhere, damn well does.

• 2 weeks later...

I've worn sunglasses inside/at night before because they were prescription and one of the lenses fell out of my regular glasses and I lost the little screw that holds the lens in the frame and I hadn't been able to buy a repair kit... I gave that explanation so many times for those few days. Switched to plastic frames after that debacle.

I like wearing nice-ish clothes and a little makeup. It makes me feel better about myself (I have problems with chronic depression), and thus I perform better. By nice-ish I mean dark jeans without holes or frayed bottoms, a top that fits well and doesn't have random stuff on it, and a sweater. Sometimes a skirt. Usually a pair of nice sneakers (not athletic shoes) or ballet flats.

I do think comfort should be the first consideration when you're going to spend all day on campus. But comfort can also look nice, and when I'm feeling grumpy in the morning and reaching for an oversized faded t-shirt, I try to remind myself that wearing that around all day will actually make me feel worse.

I mean, it also depends on what your field is. In computer science, casual is totally the accepted norm (even in conferences! O_o).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh wow. I would never go out in sweatpants. Maybe to the gym.

I'm a very casual person, but my casualness limits itself to a shirt and jeans (the button kind, none of that elastic waistband stuff). Occasionally I do like to dress up, put on a little make up for fun, wear some jewelry, even if it's just to school.

However, for conferences, presentations, etc. I always wear proper formal attire.

I've had a professor who complained to the class about dress standards--it was trendy on campus at the time to go to class not just in sweats, but in flannel PJ pants, flip flops/Uggs and a tank top/sweatshirt so you really looked like you just rolled out of bed.

The only reason I can think of for showing up in such casual gear is if you had an exercise class right beforehand (which I've had before, and therefore wore sweats to the next class because I didn't have time to change and get all the way across campus).