University of Florida

Correspondence between my house and UF is usually pretty speedy---I still haven't received notice either way. I never even received a waitlist notification, and they sent one out last year mid-March. This leaves me wondering if mail has been delayed due to good ol' Florida storms.

...which were, coincidentally and perhaps tangentially, particularly bad today/this morning --or at least they were a stone's throw away in Jacksonville, FL!

Edited by dgobox

Congrats, anon-on-the-results-page! :)

Has anyone else heard anything? I'm biting my nails at this point. Suspense is killing me. (How many more trite phrases can I include?)

I'm the anonymous admit--thanks for the congrats :)

I'm likely going to decline the offer; I want to consider it a little before I decide, but I'll try to do so as soon as possible for the sake of others on the wait list. I was also offered the Kirkland fellowship, so I hope that it will go to someone on here. Best of luck to all!

I'm the anonymous admit--thanks for the congrats :)

I'm likely going to decline the offer; I want to consider it a little before I decide, but I'll try to do so as soon as possible for the sake of others on the wait list. I was also offered the Kirkland fellowship, so I hope that it will go to someone on here. Best of luck to all!

What sub field/track are you?

Yeah. I count around 3 or 4 people who are on this board and have been rejected off the list. Wegner emailed me, too, but he said that I should have an answer very soon. I thought it would be before Friday but I guess it will be during the final week. I think Tybalt is still on their list as well.

Yeah. I count around 3 or 4 people who are on this board and have been rejected off the list. Wegner emailed me, too, but he said that I should have an answer very soon. I thought it would be before Friday but I guess it will be during the final week. I think Tybalt is still on their list as well.

Yup, as far as I know, I'm still on the wait list for Florida. They seemed to put a lot of stock in their track system. I wonder if the rejections were waitlisters for the same tracks that 1st round folks have already accepted.

Yeah, that's what I would assume, especially given our earlier discussion of their likely strategy w/r/t the structure of the waitlist, subfields/tracks, and available spots. I do think that if, e.g., a postcolonial candidate turns down their offer, that spot is likely offered to a waitlister who is either of the same track or a very similar/proximal sort of one.

Edit: And you (viz, Tybalt) and I are definitely not in what I would consider to be proximal tracks. So, luckily, I don't think we're waiting for the same spot.

Edited by dgobox

This is the third year I haven't heard anything until the final week. And even then, after that April 15th deadline, they don't really give you any resolution---there's always that hope that someone will back out over the summer and they'll call upon those who have expressed interest until the very final hours.

All of this to say: I feel your pain, fellow waitlisters. I feel it deeply.

Just sent an email declining my Florida offer. Sorry it was so last minute! I was told that there were two places left, and I had a film and media studies emphasis. I really hope this helps out waitlisters--I feel your pain.

Cool -- thanks for the update.

Thanks for the condolence.

You could email him. I literally just corresponded with him a few minutes ago, so you might get an expedient reply.

Maybe, maybe not. I sent an inquiry about my chances about 4 days ago and haven't heard back.

I go to UF now as an undergrad. They don't care about anyone. I got into a doctoral program in Plant Pathology at UF and turned it down after they refused to send me an official letter of admission. Going to Cornell in the Fall and can't wait to leave Gainesville. Worst city ever!!! Though, Ithaca isn't too far from the cattle heard lol.

Very polite rejection from Dr. Wegner. Also the last school on my list. Included are his exact comments regarding the final class size:

"We were allowed only 8 new PhD students this year-a reduction from last year's group and a substantial cut from years past-and 8 of those we accepted in the small first group accepted our offer, the last acceptance coming in last Thursday."

So.. do you want fries with that?