University of Florida

If past results are any indication, University of Florida will be making offers of admission really, really soon. Anybody else out there waiting (anxiously) for news from UF? In what UF English "track" are you interested?

Edited by ssundva

Yep, I'm waiting nervously. My track would be postcolonial lit.

I'm waiting on Florida as well. Early-Modern. I really like the look of the program, but I'm not sure what to think about the weather. I'm a northeast kinda guy, and I think I would melt quicker than Falstaff in a buck-basket in Gainesville.

They just sent me a notification saying that my file is complete, that decisions will be made within three weeks, and that they'll be sent by mail.

Since they give acceptances by phone, that totally ruined my morning, even though she probably wasn't writing with my application specifically in mind.

I'd think they'd start admittances this week . . . ?

They just sent me a notification saying that my file is complete, that decisions will be made within three weeks, and that they'll be sent by mail.

Since they give acceptances by phone, that totally ruined my morning, even though she probably wasn't writing with my application specifically in mind.

I'd think they'd start admittances this week . . . ?

Did you apply to the MA or the PhD? I haven't received any e-mails from UF...

I think the email was a response to a phone call I made, although I made the phone call almost a week ago, so it's hard to say.

Everything feels pretty disorganized. For instance, apparently my file is "complete", yet the online checklist still says they're missing all of my transcripts.

I'm just leaving it up to Fate now, because I can't worry about it any more without sacrificing the rest of my sanity. I wouldn't worry if I were you; if you sent all of your documents, chances are that they have them and just haven't bothered to make that clear through their online system. Several of my schools have done this. I don't know why they even create the checklists when they don't utilize them.

I think you'll be fine. Just try to relax. :) If Kathy Williams says that your file is complete, then your file is probably complete. As for when they'll send out acceptances, I think the three week estimate in your email is pretty accurate. I applied last year and didn't find out until the last week of March that I was wait-listed. I'm pretty sure they told me when I called that they had just finished reviewing applications the week before.

I just have to say that your results post about receiving an update email really freaked me out! I knew I hadn't gotten an email, lol.

Oh, and my track is Film Studies. I'm glad to see that there aren't very many Film Studies people on this thread. I got the impression last year that an overabundance of film applicants thwarted my chances.

Good luck to everyone!

I can't even remember if I had to specify if I was applying to the MA or PhD program! Does anyone remember that? I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER, IT'S TOO TRAUMATIC!

I didn't get an email and it makes me nervous, especially now since I'm wondering if my MA-less application has wound up in the humid, steamy bowels of PhD application hell down in Gainesville.

I feel like I should call. Is there anything anyone wants to know that's not too weird to ask?

I can't even remember if I had to specify if I was applying to the MA or PhD program! Does anyone remember that? I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER, IT'S TOO TRAUMATIC!

I didn't get an email and it makes me nervous, especially now since I'm wondering if my MA-less application has wound up in the humid, steamy bowels of PhD application hell down in Gainesville.

I feel like I should call. Is there anything anyone wants to know that's not too weird to ask?

Step away from the phone. Please take a sip of wine or something to calm yourself down. You had to indicate on your application for Florida if you were going to be MA or PhD track - you put it on there - you will be fine. Everything is in - they would have notified you otherwise. You didn't receive an email because no one did - unless they had already directly contacted the department in regards to something. Breathe in, breathe out. You're going to make it through the waiting game :)

Step away from the phone. Please take a sip of wine or something to calm yourself down. You had to indicate on your application for Florida if you were going to be MA or PhD track - you put it on there - you will be fine. Everything is in - they would have notified you otherwise. You didn't receive an email because no one did - unless they had already directly contacted the department in regards to something. Breathe in, breathe out. You're going to make it through the waiting game :)

I actually don't remember what I checked because I think I read everything wrong, which is pretty typical for me in stressful situations (and I honestly don't remember having to specify it anyway, but it WAS pretty traumatic, haha.) They can probably tell what my intentions were anyway. I've gotten to where I know I likely won't be accepted to any English programs, and I think I'm going to be okay with that at this point in my life.

Who knows anymore! (Don't worry--I didn't call :) I never seem to find time to be able to do so!)

Oh, and my track is Film Studies. I'm glad to see that there aren't very many Film Studies people on this thread. I got the impression last year that an overabundance of film applicants thwarted my chances.

I also applied to the Film/Media studies track, but my focus is on new media technologies. Maybe we'll see each other there. Good luck!

I actually don't remember what I checked because I think I read everything wrong, which is pretty typical for me in stressful situations (and I honestly don't remember having to specify it anyway, but it WAS pretty traumatic, haha.) They can probably tell what my intentions were anyway. I've gotten to where I know I likely won't be accepted to any English programs, and I think I'm going to be okay with that at this point in my life.

Who knows anymore! (Don't worry--I didn't call :) I never seem to find time to be able to do so!)

I made a similar mistake on one of my applications--applying to a PhD track when the school would want me to apply to the MA track. I got an email alerting me to this and then was considered for an MA. Calm down. It's going to be okay.

The Florida app was pretty traumatic. I got so upset with the website! It wasn't the actual app so much as actually being able to move around the website. First order of business once I am accepted, speak with IT about making the website more user friendly!!

I also applied to the Film/Media studies track, but my focus is on new media technologies. Maybe we'll see each other there. Good luck!

And my focus is womens/world cinema. Good to know we're not cockblocking each other. Hope to see you there!

I can't believe there's NOTHING from them yet! Do you think it will be three weeks even until the admits? I was expecting admits to begin days ago.

If this weeks ends with no news, I am going to be so tightly wound by Monday!

No news, no news. I keep forgetting ad-comms have real people on them with real lives and real stupid crap they have to deal with on a daily basis. I feel better when I keep in mind that I didn't just apply to one big spooky computer who decides my life for me--that there are real people reading my application!

I spoke to the program coordinator last week and they began to review MA applications this week (14/2) and had already been reviewing the PhDs. She said to expect notifications in the beginning to mid March. I made the same error of applying to the PhD program with only a BA. She, the program coordinator, put me with the MA applications because she said that I was unable to apply to the PhD program without an MA. She also said that was an easier route.

Also, I somehow selected FALL 2010 (how is that even possible) and my undergraduate institution was incorrect. I had to get the English Dept. to interoffice mail my transcript to the graduate admissions office to fix the ordeal. Needless to say I had a heart attack over the situation.

I actually just spoke with Kathy to make sure I was being considered for a masters and not a ph.d. (I only have a bachelors degree and i, too, made the mistake of applying for the ph.d.). Kathy said that masters degree applicants should expect to hear back in two weeks. I am not sure about Ph.D. applicants. ugh. TWO. MORE. WEEKS. can i take it? guess I have to.

I actually just spoke with Kathy to make sure I was being considered for a masters and not a ph.d. (I only have a bachelors degree and i, too, made the mistake of applying for the ph.d.). Kathy said that masters degree applicants should expect to hear back in two weeks. I am not sure about Ph.D. applicants. ugh. TWO. MORE. WEEKS. can i take it? guess I have to.

I'm glad I am not the only person who seemed confused by applying to the PhD program. Do you think I should call, or did you just sort of feel like they figured it out and tossed anyone with just a BA into the MA pile?

I'm glad I am not the only person who seemed confused by applying to the PhD program. Do you think I should call, or did you just sort of feel like they figured it out and tossed anyone with just a BA into the MA pile?

I called just because I was really worried about it. It seemed that they automatically placed me in the master's application pool as soon as I applied, but if you are really worried about it there's no harm in shooting her an email. She is really nice.