University of Florida

I was trying to check people's office hours like a creeper--good news, though--I actually forgot that I was waiting to hear from graduate schools for a good hour or two today. It was amazing.

Frustration! I would look at the courses but I am too afraid to be let down...

Definitely not just you. I'm in a bind. I REALLY want to take the dedicated Lacan course at UF, but I'm also mentally signed up for the Disability in early modern lit course at Maryland. That would be a lot of $$ in airfare, I would think!

Lacan is awesome. I'm using him in my thesis. I am now able to quote him in random conversation lol.

Edited by lolopixie

Lacan is awesome. I'm using him in my thesis. I am now able to quote him in random conversation lol.

I'm using more Bakhtin and Foucault in my thesis than anything else (though if I don't get on that this week, I'm going to be in trouble). I haven't had too much exposure to Lacan beyond the basics (ie- The Mirror Stage). His work has been so closely tied to education and pedagogy that I really want to delve into it a bit more. That was one of the perks of UF. It was the only school I saw that offered full seminars on individual theorists.

So, as it's 8pm eastern time, should we assume the UF will not be notifying anyone today? I'm a bit panicked by it to be perfectly honest. My fear is that they made their offers last week, and only two of the admits happened to be on TGC. Would it be too neurotic to call and ask tomorrow? :)

I'm using more Bakhtin and Foucault in my thesis than anything else (though if I don't get on that this week, I'm going to be in trouble). I haven't had too much exposure to Lacan beyond the basics (ie- The Mirror Stage). His work has been so closely tied to education and pedagogy that I really want to delve into it a bit more. That was one of the perks of UF. It was the only school I saw that offered full seminars on individual theorists.

So, as it's 8pm eastern time, should we assume the UF will not be notifying anyone today? I'm a bit panicked by it to be perfectly honest. My fear is that they made their offers last week, and only two of the admits happened to be on TGC. Would it be too neurotic to call and ask tomorrow? :)

I'm working mainly with Fanon, but strong emphasis on Lacan's identity development (which includes mirror stage) and female development. I don't know how they are notifying though. I like Brown's approach of just let everyone know in the same day.

I'm working mainly with Fanon, but strong emphasis on Lacan's identity development (which includes mirror stage) and female development. I don't know how they are notifying though. I like Brown's approach of just let everyone know in the same day.

Is anyone else starting to panic on UF? They notified two people on Thursday and Friday, and then nothing since. Could they be done already?

Definitely not just you. I'm in a bind. I REALLY want to take the dedicated Lacan course at UF, but I'm also mentally signed up for the Disability in early modern lit course at Maryland. That would be a lot of $$ in airfare, I would think!

...what, all English majors don't have James Franco's 62-credit, multiple-school stamina or fat pocketbook to make that work? ;) Just kidding. I wish I could do what he (supposedly) did/is doing. I would be ALL OVER the place!

Hope you can work something out so that you can take both (or, you know, either would be nice, right?) :)

I've been lusting over the Rationality, Irrationality, and Modernity (Susan Hegeman's) course at UF for Fall 2011, which is entirely outside my specialization.

Is anyone else starting to panic on UF? They notified two people on Thursday and Friday, and then nothing since. Could they be done already?

That's what I was thinking but hoping against. I left my phone at home just to keep focused (see how well that's working?) on grading papers during office hours. If they're not done notifying, perhaps I'll come home to a pleasant voice mail... or maybe I should keep holding my breath?

Good luck to everyone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us all (yes, even if we're all competing for the same few seats!).

That's what I was thinking but hoping against. I left my phone at home just to keep focused (see how well that's working?) on grading papers during office hours. If they're not done notifying, perhaps I'll come home to a pleasant voice mail... or maybe I should keep holding my breath?

Good luck to everyone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us all (yes, even if we're all competing for the same few seats!).

Okay, two straight days of zero notifications. Who will bite the bullet, call their office and ask the scary question...

Okay, two straight days of zero notifications. Who will bite the bullet, call their office and ask the scary question...

But it's such a scary question! Lols. No, really, I think we should probably wait to at least the end of this week before we start hassling them.

But it's such a scary question! Lols. No, really, I think we should probably wait to at least the end of this week before we start hassling them.

Yes, I would wait until Friday to call. I'm a sissy and refuse; I've called far too many times over the past two years not to make a bad impression at this point. :P Sorry, Charlie!

Yes, I would wait until Friday to call. I'm a sissy and refuse; I've called far too many times over the past two years not to make a bad impression at this point. :P Sorry, Charlie!

I'm glad someone else still refers to themselves as a "sissy"--I just don't hear that enough.

Another PhD acceptance! When will there be any news for us MA applicants?

It wasn't me. It looks like the admits so far are comics, Victorian and one unknown. I'm early modern. I'm also currently a basket case. I was surprised to see that the stipend was only ~11k per year. I know some of you have lived in Gainesville before--Is that possible on 11k per year?

It wasn't me. It looks like the admits so far are comics, Victorian and one unknown. I'm early modern. I'm also currently a basket case. I was surprised to see that the stipend was only ~11k per year. I know some of you have lived in Gainesville before--Is that possible on 11k per year?

Wasn't me, either.

Gainesville is totally doable on 11k per year, but you'll probably want a part-time/weekend job if you don't have a garden, eat organic/"healthy," or prepare your own dinner every night. :\

*Edit: I don't speak from experience, but many of my friends are at UF.

Edited by unearthedlurker

I went to UF for a year of undergrad, and yes, Gainesville is doable on 11k. It would be a little restrictive, but I feel like that's kind of to be expected when you're just starting out in academia, haha.

So just to be clear: Most of you guys are waiting on PhD notifications, right? I keep wondering if the results on the board are putting PhD when they're really MA . . . I'm applying with just a bacherlor's.

I went to UF for a year of undergrad, and yes, Gainesville is doable on 11k. It would be a little restrictive, but I feel like that's kind of to be expected when you're just starting out in academia, haha.

So just to be clear: Most of you guys are waiting on PhD notifications, right? I keep wondering if the results on the board are putting PhD when they're really MA . . . I'm applying with just a bacherlor's.

I applied for the PhD. I'm getting my MA this in two months (assuming I ever tear myself away from this website and my inbox long enough to make any real progress on my thesis!)

I've been out of the grad school world for a good while* now; I'm making a pretty decent salary teaching at a respectable (but not top) research university. 11k wont be fun, but I can make it work :) (This is to answer that it is definitely doable, and that I'm PhD, not MA!)

*Edit: can't give away my age, haha.

Edited by unearthedlurker

My specialization is pretty left-field and really only coincides with one or two professors' research at UF (which is more than other institutions, sadly), so my time on the wait list last year and my having not been notified this year doesn't really surprise me.

My specialization is pretty left-field and really only coincides with one or two professors' research at UF (which is more than other institutions, sadly), so my time on the wait list last year and my having not been notified this year doesn't really surprise me.

There goes another one. I've pretty much lost all chance of being productive this evening. I'm now doomed to stare at my phone whilst praying to the gods of academia to make it ring.

--On a more amusing note, I did just find a way to use a quotation from Kindergarten Cop in my title and introduction to my current thesis chapter.

Edited by Tybalt

I've just had a scary thought.. Surely they're not going to trickle their admits in, one every Thursday..

Dear God, make me a bird, so I can fly far, far away from here. Or at least migrate south to Florida so that I can escape this bitter cold waiting game.

Where are the four admits? It's odd that nobody has claimed them yet. Two of the posts in the results board posted their sub-fields, but the other two didn't (and I'm curious/nosey). Anyone willing to claim the UF admits?

There goes another one. I've pretty much lost all chance of being productive this evening. I'm now doomed to stare at my phone whilst praying to the gods of academia to make it ring.

--On a more amusing note, I did just find a way to use a quotation from Kindergarten Cop in my title and introduction to my current thesis chapter.

I love that movie! What quote did you use?

And dear God, surely that can't just notify a few people each Thursday until the end of time--or April 15! That would just be cruel.