University of Florida

The state of Florida, much like many states, is facing *extreme* budget cuts in education (for one). Sounds about right to me. I heard through the grapevine that Gov. Rick Scott has asked programs to cut their cohorts in half, if not more.

So their usual figure was 12? I suppose I had some sort of alien notion that they took even more than that. I don't know why I would have thought that.

I am a Florida resident but I haven't heard the grapevine information that you have, although I did see similar conjecture on the survey.

I have heard the same exact claim about PA, though (50% reduction).

So their usual figure was 12? I suppose I had some sort of alien notion that they took even more than that. I don't know why I would have thought that.

I am a Florida resident but I haven't heard the grapevine information that you have, although I did see similar conjecture on the survey.

I have heard the same exact claim about PA, though (50% reduction).

Have they sent out ANY rejections? At first, I was assuming if I hadn't heard that meant secret waitlist but I e-mailed and got information to the negative. 1. either that's not the case or 2. they have trimmed their waitlist now.

Have they sent out ANY rejections? At first, I was assuming if I hadn't heard that meant secret waitlist but I e-mailed and got information to the negative. 1. either that's not the case or 2. they have trimmed their waitlist now.

Hmm. I don't have connections in the department, so I can't be entirely certain; I simply heard through admissions committee members at two nearby Central Florida universities of this Rick Scott news and what it means for state schools.

Personally, I'm going to stick with believing the cohort size is an exceptionally small group. Better for the ego that way! :)

Wanted to let the U of Florida wait-listers know that I will be calling Prof Wegner tomorrow to let him know that I will not be accepting my offer.

I was accepted into the "postcolonial track".

I really hope this helps someone on here get in!

Did he say anything 'interesting' when you spoke with him? Or was it a rather brief affair?

Hey, I normally don't post at all, but I have some information y'all might be interested in. I currently attend UF as an undergrad, and applied there for graduate admission this fall. Like everyone else, I went absolutely stir-crazy waiting for a response. Last week, I just decided to drop in on Dr. Murchek (undergraduate advisor). He directed me to Dr. Wegner's secretary, Kathy, who said the following things:

*There were only six slots for this fall. I'm not surprised by this at all. The English Department's budget is comically low, as UF seems determined to slowly choke the life out of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

* She was writing up the letters as she was speaking to me, so I'm assuming everyone will be receiving them soon-ish.

For the record, I was rejected. I'm not too horribly upset, since we recently lost my favorite professor and advisor. The rest of the faculty is absolutely wonderful, I cannot stress that enough, but the department is in a definite decline. Faculty are retiring/leaving, and not being replaced. Our only professor of 18th century literature is being forced into early retirement. Everyone is overworked and underappreciated by the administration. The UF Powers That Be decided recently that they didn't like the chair of our department, Dr. Gilbert. They gave the orders for a new one to be selected immediately, without a single explanation of why we needed a new one. The faculty is absolutely baffled, and no one wants to step up to the plate (understandably.)

I'm not trying to scare anyone off or paint an entirely negative picture. If I was accepted here, I would still probably go. I love my professors to death, but the decline of the department over these last four years has been disheartening. I don't know, maybe things will be turning around shortly -- I sincerely hope they do. It's just that things aren't pretty right now.

Anyway, just thought I'd give my two cents on the situation, since the department tends not to be too upfront about all of this. Good luck!

Hey, I normally don't post at all, but I have some information y'all might be interested in. I currently attend UF as an undergrad, and applied there for graduate admission this fall. Like everyone else, I went absolutely stir-crazy waiting for a response. Last week, I just decided to drop in on Dr. Murchek (undergraduate advisor). He directed me to Dr. Wegner's secretary, Kathy, who said the following things:

*There were only six slots for this fall. I'm not surprised by this at all. The English Department's budget is comically low, as UF seems determined to slowly choke the life out of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

* She was writing up the letters as she was speaking to me, so I'm assuming everyone will be receiving them soon-ish.

For the record, I was rejected. I'm not too horribly upset, since we recently lost my favorite professor and advisor. The rest of the faculty is absolutely wonderful, I cannot stress that enough, but the department is in a definite decline. Faculty are retiring/leaving, and not being replaced. Our only professor of 18th century literature is being forced into early retirement. Everyone is overworked and underappreciated by the administration. The UF Powers That Be decided recently that they didn't like the chair of our department, Dr. Gilbert. They gave the orders for a new one to be selected immediately, without a single explanation of why we needed a new one. The faculty is absolutely baffled, and no one wants to step up to the plate (understandably.)

I'm not trying to scare anyone off or paint an entirely negative picture. If I was accepted here, I would still probably go. I love my professors to death, but the decline of the department over these last four years has been disheartening. I don't know, maybe things will be turning around shortly -- I sincerely hope they do. It's just that things aren't pretty right now.

Anyway, just thought I'd give my two cents on the situation, since the department tends not to be too upfront about all of this. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing, Catalysta. Your insight is invaluable to those of us considering reapplying (and for those who haven't heard a peep).

Thank you for sharing, Catalysta. Your insight is invaluable to those of us considering reapplying (and for those who haven't heard a peep).

No problem :) While I feel like a major dweeb for posting a text wall of department drama, I know that I would like this sort of information on prospective schools.

All my angst aside, I have really enjoyed my time here at UF. Gainesville seems tiny at first, but its quirks grow on you. So much that I'm staying here while I wait for the next application cycle to come around!

I spent a year as an undergraduate at UF, and transferred to another school when I decided that I wanted to study English. The whole Lib Arts college was in major debt, and I figured I'd have a better chance of a more stable education elsewhere.

Not surprising that there were only six spots! But I'm still hoping for an admit off of the wait-list since all of my current offers are only partially funded.

I think it's still reasonable to hold out for a response in the affirmative. Surely there are still some admits who have not accepted their offers. I would like to think that if all six admits had taken offers then the waitlisters would be informed that the list had been dissolved. Until that happens, we should all hope for the best as we advance toward 4/15,

I think it's still reasonable to hold out for a response in the affirmative. Surely there are still some admits who have not accepted their offers. I would like to think that if all six admits had taken offers then the waitlisters would be informed that the list had been dissolved. Until that happens, we should all hope for the best as we advance toward 4/15,

I agree with that line of logic. We should remain optimistic over the course of the next few weeks, or at least until we get an official rejection. Good luck to all!

I was accepted to the UF MA program and spoke with Dr. Wegner. Apparently 10 were accepted for 7 spots. Also, the waitlist is not really ranked. Rather, it is organized by speciality in order to yield a group of students with diverse interests. Hope that helps!

I was accepted to the UF MA program and spoke with Dr. Wegner. Apparently 10 were accepted for 7 spots. Also, the waitlist is not really ranked. Rather, it is organized by speciality in order to yield a group of students with diverse interests. Hope that helps!

Thanks! Hopefully (presumably) this logic translates to the PhD program as well. That makes more sense and honestly gives more people a shot (as any of the next round of waitlisters could get in, depending on who declines, rather than one predetermined person).

So if 10 were accepted for 7 spots, are we to take it that there is a quasi-waitlist above the waitlist that is advertised as such? It sounds to me like there must be 3 students who were accepted but don't have spots...and those students must be ahead of the normal waitlisters. Right?

Further, do you have any idea why 10 would have been accepted for only 7 spots? Did Prof. W say? Maybe that is standard operating procedure and I was just previously unaware? I suppose that they could gamble upon the chance that at least three would take another offer or etc.

Edited by dgobox

I can't speak to UF, but I do know Duke for one does this also. If all of their first-round offers accept, they'll fund them with what is usually a standard package, though probably admit fewer the next year to make up for the unexpectedly large class. The idea is to get your top, top picks to really consider you. Odds are that 30% will decline for other schools, leaving you with your desired class of 7 people. If more than 3 of the first-round offers decline, than you start pulling from the waitlist. Make sense?

I can't speak to UF, but I do know Duke for one does this also. If all of their first-round offers accept, they'll fund them with what is usually a standard package, though probably admit fewer the next year to make up for the unexpectedly large class. The idea is to get your top, top picks to really consider you. Odds are that 30% will decline for other schools, leaving you with your desired class of 7 people. If more than 3 of the first-round offers decline, than you start pulling from the waitlist. Make sense?

Yes, yes that does. Thanks for weighing in on my hypothesis. I appreciate the perspective.

Most schools do this-- over offer because they historically always have folks turn them down. It's a really common practice. I think programs have recently started cutting down on this because with the increased applications, decreased spots, and therefore increased competition it's much more of a gamble to over-offer than it previously panned out to be. Purdue used to offer more slots than they have, but this year they are not.

Oh, no! I had meant to post this yesterday, but I had to leave to teach class. It was sitting, unposted, as soon as I clicked on my monitor this afternoon:

Today I just heard from a source (not a professor in the department, but a student who works closely with a few adcom members) that the PhD cohort is finalized. Because decision day still looms ahead, this can change at any time if anyone reneges; however, with only six slots, chances are that these people probably know they're desperately desired, like the funding package and research opportunities, and will stay with the program. Blasted. (Congrats! to those of you WGIers...)

I think my source is pretty reliable, so I'm heartbroken. BUT I do have hope for next year!

Coming back to 4/05/11: looks like they're sending out rejections per the results page.

Are they postal mailing rejections AND acceptances? That seems weird.

Where did you hear/read that? I think acceptances get informed via telephone. But I could definitely be mistaken there.

I think the results page indicates that a couple more people have been recently rejected via email.

And good luck at Austin!

Where did you hear/read that? I think acceptances get informed via telephone. But I could definitely be mistaken there.

I think the results page indicates that a couple more people have been recently rejected via email.

And good luck at Austin!

I just saw that there was a postal acceptance, but looking again I think they may have mis-clicked the drop-down menu? Hard to tell!

Thanks, and good luck to you too!

Correspondence between my house and UF is usually pretty speedy---I still haven't received notice either way. I never even received a waitlist notification, and they sent one out last year mid-March. This leaves me wondering if mail has been delayed due to good ol' Florida storms.