SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I just got my acceptance!!!! I am SOOOOO exciteeeedddd I can't even write!!!! I received an email, opened the letter, it said "I am pleased to offer you admission to the Master of Public Administration in Development Practice..." and I haven't been able to read the rest of the letter, but will let you know of funding if it says so.

Wow this is incredibly frustrating and nerve-wrecking... everyone seems to be getting their decisions from SIPA already! gahhh!

Any chance that they will still send out emails regarding decisions even if its past 5 pm EST today ? (I'm on the west coast)

Wow this is incredibly frustrating and nerve-wrecking... everyone seems to be getting their decisions from SIPA already! gahhh!

Any chance that they will still send out emails regarding decisions even if its past 5 pm EST today ? (I'm on the west coast)

Last year the first batch of results went out at 6:00pm, and this year the first batch of results went out between 1:00am-8:00am Wednesday morning. So the time that you get your result is totally up in the air lol

Just got accepted for the MPA-DP...excited for the acceptance cause I love the program. But it's far too expensive unfortunately :(

Last year the first batch of results went out at 6:00pm, and this year the first batch of results went out between 1:00am-8:00am Wednesday morning. So the time that you get your result is totally up in the air lol

thanks hudwa! not sure if this is good or bad news- this may officially not allow me to enjoy my Friday or possibly the entire weekend, sigh...

Rejected for MPA/DP. Frankly shocked - I was accepted to SAIS' IDEV and waitlisted for GU's Global Human Development program, and I have solid GREs/GPA. SAIS has always been my number one, but I'm very, very confused.

I've obsessed over this kind of thing for a while, and from talking to many people and reading through this forum:

there seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some schools make the decisions that they do! And this unpredictable element just adds to the crazy suspense in waiting for a decision because apparently you can't judge your chances for a program based on decision results from other programs... :wacko:

I've obsessed over this kind of thing for a while, and from talking to many people and reading through this forum:

there seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some schools make the decisions that they do! And this unpredictable element just adds to the crazy suspense in waiting for a decision because apparently you can't judge your chances for a program based on decision results from other programs... :wacko:

So true. I was rejected from Columbia's DP, but was accepted to SAIS with 20k for my first year, and an additional 20k my second if I maintain a 3.25. The dings from WWS and HKS were kind of expected (it really is a true lottery with those, even if my numbers were in range who knows what they want!), but I was so surprised to get literally double the cash from SAIS than GW or AU (my other two admits) and a straight rejection from Columbia. The world works in mysterious ways I guess!

Just got accepted for the MPA-DP...excited for the acceptance cause I love the program. But it's far too expensive unfortunately :(

AGREED. I received a generic email from their financial aid department this morning with some general suggestions and information. I added up the tuition and fees ONLY and it comes out to $47,936 for the first year. Tuition for their MBA is around 56k, so their numbers are pretty ridiculous. Regardless, their program sounds awesome, but this first generation college kid cannot swallow that kind of debt.

Hi Guys! Been following the forum for few days, refreshing my email like crazy....and login in to SIPA to check for decision....I was rejected for MPA-DP, got the email at about 3pm today....Congrats to all the ones that got in!!!

If anyone can please provide some input on what you think helped you to get in into MPA-DP or any other great program?....I am very upset, but I will try again, so any help is good and will only motivate me more to improve and try again. I appreciate it!

I have high GPA (3.9), very low GRE, 5+ public sector experience as analyst, foreign language, I did go to community college before transferring to 4-year college, and i know top-programs view it as a weakness.....

I'm now having trouble to justify whether I should pick SIPA or SAIS.. SAIS give me financial aid of 15k.. while SIPA nothing!

does anyone heard about the International Fellow Program??? IFP will be a deal breaker or maker for me.. I really cannot choose right now..

Edited by erry3779

I'm now having trouble to justify whether I should pick SIPA or SAIS.. SAIS give me financial aid of 15k.. while SIPA nothing!

does anyone heard about the International Fellow Program??? IFP will be a deal breaker or maker for me.. I really cannot choose right now..

Hey Erry, salam kenal!

Same deal for me, awesome acceptance from SIPA but no funding whatsoever...tuition fee is pretty steep as well. I'm still waiting to hear on aid decisions from GPPI and Wagner and any sort of aid will definitely play a substantial role in helping me choose! SAIS is very strong in IA, so the 15k definitely sweetens the deal for you no?

Hey...My SIPA letter said that you wouldnt be getting aid in year 1. Does this not include the International Fellow Program...Or is there a separate list for that? Clarification pls...

Regards

Edited by IdnujnanCihtrak

Hi Guys / Gals...

Same dilemma here....SIPA (MDP) and SAIS (not IDEV) without funding and awaiting Maxwell EMPA results....I am from India...Long long way from NYC or DC....Websites and what's there on the net - u always get contradictory thoughts....

I am looking at a Development / Consulting in Sustainability kind of career...and am fascinated by the MDP program (esp the field work)...But SAIS is in DC and I have worked extensively on World Bank projects in my past...So have a few ppl I know...May be, I will be able to get an internship with them....In fact one of them was my referee for these applications...

Please help me with some clues on this... Would really appreciate any and all help!!!

And once I get MAxwell results and "IF" I make it through - can u help me evaluate the three....

Appreciate it 'in advance'...

Regards

I'm still waiting. I'm just going to believe that batch 1 and two have been sent out and there's a huge aid package coming our way ;-). Of course, I might just get rejected... It really is a crapshoot.