NSF DDIG

spinnergal

Got rejected for sociology. Any news from others? 

Anthro people, there is a different program officer and review cycle for sociology, isn't there? I don't think the fact that sociology results are out should cause panic amongst the anthros. It probably only means that our own results will be coming out any moment. This doesn't help the anxiety though...

Anyone re-applying? I got my reviews too. One rated excellent, one rated good, and one rated poor. 

For us anthros, I thought Mantz made is very clear that reapplication was not going to be possible for this cycle. Maybe it is different for sociology folks?

Yea sociology has different deadlines/schedules. It's a totally different dept and has nada to do with Anthro. The issue for everyone in Anthro is that until we get our results our grant app is active in the system and you can't have 2 active apps for the same grant.

Based on other people having been awarded fellowships that you know of? I don't know anyone who's heard anything, but I guess we could have all been rejected.

No, I have no knowledge of anyone else (I'm currently in the field). But I'm just hazarding a guess that they want to disburse the funds that they have by now.

I applied in sociology and got rejected earlier this week

By the way, when I say rejected, I mean REALLY rejected. As in they would rather sacrifice their first-born child than fund my dissertation. I have a feeling that they only sent obvious top-of-the-pile and bottom-of-the-pile notifications this quickly, and if you're in the middle of the pack you might have to wait longer. Good luck!

By the way, when I say rejected, I mean REALLY rejected. As in they would rather sacrifice their first-born child than fund my dissertation. I have a feeling that they only sent obvious top-of-the-pile and bottom-of-the-pile notifications this quickly, and if you're in the middle of the pack you might have to wait longer. Good luck!

Hi SocPol,

Did you get your panel reviews? I got rejected last week. I'm confused about the reviews since I got one "excellent" rating, saying that it's solid and should be funded, then I have a "poor" one, basically saying that it's crap. I also have a "good" rating, saying it's original and will contribute to literature, policy, etc. But I guess they went with the poor rating in their decision.

I'm thinking of reapplying.

just got funding recommendation for anthro. good luck to all those who are waiting! 

Congrats, bipedalcycle! Based on the past posts, I see that this is your second time applying. I'm thinking of re-applying to the Feb 15 deadline. I'm from sociology. Any advice?

just got funding recommendation for anthro. good luck to all those who are waiting! 

Still waiting to hear; I also applied for anthro...not sure if it's a good sign or bad that I haven't heard yet...

Congrats, bipedalcycle! Based on the past posts, I see that this is your second time applying. I'm thinking of re-applying to the Feb 15 deadline. I'm from sociology. Any advice?

Hi boomer: i'm not sure if I can offer any solid advice. The only thing I can say I did do was to take the comments from the reviewers very seriously. I did all I could to address and incorporate every single comment in my re-write. Perhaps that is what worked for me. 

Still waiting to hear; I also applied for anthro...not sure if it's a good sign or bad that I haven't heard yet...

I sent an email to DR. Mantz, and was told recommendations are announcements are quite delayed, due to the government shut down. He said we should have comments and reviews no later than early march. He also mentioned that the next target date for cultural anthro may be moved to july...so keep that in mind for resubmissions!

I sent an email to DR. Mantz, and was told recommendations are announcements are quite delayed, due to the government shut down. He said we should have comments and reviews no later than early march. He also mentioned that the next target date for cultural anthro may be moved to july...so keep that in mind for resubmissions!

March?! To be honest, I understand why there is a delay but this is ridiculous. An August submission being returned in early March is preposterous. 

March?! To be honest, I understand why there is a delay but this is ridiculous. An August submission being returned in early March is preposterous.

I agree. But we should know about his recommendations in the next few weeks. NSF has a ridiculously complicated procedure. Even if a propsal is recommended, it may not get funded in the end. But we should know something soon...

Hey all,

I wanted to update you on the on-going conversation I've been having via email with Mantz.  Apparently, if we are declined an award, we will likely find out later than those who are being recommended for an award...

So, if some people are receiving recommendations, it means that sad times for those of us who don't get any word...

Thanks for the info, Nrrrdgrrrl. This is depressing.  Haven't heard anything still.  Anyone else heard yes or no? I only know of one yes so far, on this forum.  It sucks obsessing about this but my dept is scheduling who teaches courses for this fall right now, and it would be nice to know if I'll be funded or need to teach.  I'm assuming I need to teach at this point. 

Thanks, will do.  Has he told you anything unofficially?

I've been emailing back and forth with him for the last week, and haven't gotten any news on my proposal, whether official or otherwise.  I'm hesitant to just come right out and ask about it though...