Radiation risk in California

tatli cocuk

Hi all,

As you may know, recently there was a nuclear reactor accident in Japan. While being very happy to be admitted to Stanford, I started to have some concerns about California after this event. Do you think this should be taken into account while deciding the graduate school? There are numerous schools in california, would we expect a decrease in the rate students accept offers from these schools?

Hi all,

As you may know, recently there was a nuclear reactor accident in Japan. While being very happy to be admitted to Stanford, I started to have some concerns about California after this event. Do you think this should be taken into account while deciding the graduate school? There are numerous schools in california, would we expect a decrease in the rate students accept offers from these schools?

I really don't think this needs to be a factor in your decision making at all. I live in Japan now and have been for the past 2.5 years. I'm about 150 miles southwest of the nuclear facilities in question. We all felt the quake, there was some panic-shopping, but otherwise, even at this close range, the area is fine. They are regularly checking radiation levels in the air and soil where I live, and those levels are at their natural amount. And again, this just 150 miles away. While it's true that some detectable amounts of radiation have shown up in California, please bear in mind that "detectable" doesn't necessarily equal "dangerous."

Stanford is a great school and you must be really happy to be admitted!! And as long as people even in Japan are healthy and unaffected by this, I don't think you need to worry. Congratulations on your acceptance! :)

At this point in time there is no reason to be concerned about large amounts of radiation drifting from Japan to California. While there have been more alarmist articles in the print media, most experts agree that California is simply to far away from Japan to suffer significant exposure to radiation. When you are applying for a job several years from now and have the prestige of Stanford on your resume, it will probably seem silly that you thought of choosing another school based on this singular disaster in Japan.

Edited by Red Bull

Um, living in California, I have to tell you how ridiculous this forum chain sounds to most sane people living here. If this is really a decision on why you wouldn't go to Stanford, please don't go....you will be on egg shells waiting for earthquakes the entire time you are in school. And I've lived here 10 years and only felt a few minor ones....buck up!

As someone who was born, raised and is still living in Cali, trust me. You'll be fine. You'll get more radiation exposure going to the beach for a few hours than you will from the nuclear issues in Japan. Don't let earthquakes freak you out either. There are very strict building codes.

As someone who was born, raised and is still living in Cali, trust me. You'll be fine. You'll get more radiation exposure going to the beach for a few hours than you will from the nuclear issues in Japan. Don't let earthquakes freak you out either. There are very strict building codes.

This was such a relief :)

As one of the 40 million people living in California, do not worry about coming here. If radiation were an issue, we would all be fleeing right now. Don't pass up an offer from one of the best schools in the world.

There are numerous schools in california, would we expect a decrease in the rate students accept offers from these schools?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh! :P

Edited by waddle

seriously? are you a moron? it's amazing stanford even let you in. newsflash: radiation was reported on the east coast days ago. looks like you're screwed, buddy

While it was a pretty stupid question, I find it more stupid that you seemingly joined just so you could make this your first post.

seriously? are you a moron? it's amazing stanford even let you in. newsflash: radiation was reported on the east coast days ago. looks like you're screwed, buddy

For the childish poster, it is also the risk for entire US since you will eat the vegatables of Cal and if you look at http://www.radiationnetwork.com/ you will see that it is not the risk of Cal. Moreover, your envy just demonstrates how you have not deserved Stanford and at this point you should just congratulate Stanford acceptees.