Starting Graduate Program without a Car

ZeeMore21

How many graduate students here will be starting their programs without a car? Since I wasn't too successful finding a job for the summer, my plans to purchase a used car is still up in the air right now, especially since I'm thinking about how to handle all the initial costs I will have to deal with when I move in August. I will be living in Nashville, which is not the most car-friendly of all places, but the upside is that I will be living very close to campus and there is an adequate public transportation system if I need it. I am not too sure about groceries and other places where I will need to purchase items, but I'm hoping they are not too far away. I'm also nervous about how to go about hanging out with fellow students in my program without a car.

But anyway, I was hoping that I would hear from others who will most likely not have their own transportation off the bat. How do you plan on commuting? Do you plan on purchasing a car when you get settled in? My plan is to maybe wait a couple months and see if I can get a used car, but I'm not sure if that will work out. There is a little bit of pressure on my end since my roommate doesn't have a license and isn't from the States so it will take her a while also if she ever plans on searching for a vehicle. I'm trying not to stress myself out over the transportation issue but the older I get (almost 24), the more responsibility I feel to purchase a car so I can be more dependent and be able to go wherever I want to, especially as a graduate student. But maybe I'm just being too hard on myself.

It would be nice to also hear from graduate students who do have experience going without a car. Thanks!

Edited by ZeeMore21

You should talk to other current students in your program. When I interviewed at Vandy, most of the students told me that a car was almost necessary to get around, and that's been my impression of Nashville as well.

You should talk to other current students in your program. When I interviewed at Vandy, most of the students told me that a car was almost necessary to get around, and that's been my impression of Nashville as well.

Hey Eigen, thanks. Are you at Vandy? I did visit Nashville for Open House this past March, so I am familiar with the layout and now that having a car would be important. I just really don't think I will be able to afford one right now. I would be a first-time buyer, so I'm still trying to figure out what a reasonable price for a used car would be and how to go about looking for one in Nashville, since I will be new to the area. I currently am in Philadelphia right now, so I'm even trying to consider whether I should purchase here or in Nashville in August. Stressful situation!

In TN? You could probably snag a reasonable used truck for around $1200-$3000, so you wouldn't really need much. Some basic knowledge of mechanical stuff wouldn't hurt, but it's not crucial. I'd look in some of the more rural areas around Nashville, and you'll probably find some cheap used trucks there. You can also check the Nashville craigslist postings, and see if anything pops out at you. Buying from an owner will probably get you a much better price than going through a dealership, but you have to trust your judgement with the car itself.

Small trucks (Ford Ranger or similar) or slightly larger trucks (Ford F-150) get pretty good gas mileage, and can usually run up to several hundred thousand miles on the odometer without too much trouble. They also tend to be pretty commonly available used, and on the cheaper end. Many don't have much in the way of amenities inside, but that's what keeps them cheap.

I'm not at Vandy- I ended up taking another offer. I did visit and look for apartments and such, though. I'd recommend trying to talk to someone that's there right now, and see how necessary they think a car is. They also might be able/willing to help you look for one when you get there.

I've visited Nashville several times over the years, I've always found it to be pretty car friendly.

I appreciate all of your advice Eigen! Very helpful.

In TN? You could probably snag a reasonable used truck for around $1200-$3000, so you wouldn't really need much. Some basic knowledge of mechanical stuff wouldn't hurt, but it's not crucial. I'd look in some of the more rural areas around Nashville, and you'll probably find some cheap used trucks there. You can also check the Nashville craigslist postings, and see if anything pops out at you. Buying from an owner will probably get you a much better price than going through a dealership, but you have to trust your judgement with the car itself.

Small trucks (Ford Ranger or similar) or slightly larger trucks (Ford F-150) get pretty good gas mileage, and can usually run up to several hundred thousand miles on the odometer without too much trouble. They also tend to be pretty commonly available used, and on the cheaper end. Many don't have much in the way of amenities inside, but that's what keeps them cheap.

I'm not at Vandy- I ended up taking another offer. I did visit and look for apartments and such, though. I'd recommend trying to talk to someone that's there right now, and see how necessary they think a car is. They also might be able/willing to help you look for one when you get there.

I've visited Nashville several times over the years, I've always found it to be pretty car friendly.

I'm actually in the opposite position of this thread: going from 2 car to 1 car. My wife and I are moving to a VERY bike friendly city, and our goal is to become a one car family. We'll be able to walk/bike everywhere as the city has amazing bike infrastructure. Selling her Altima, which will in turn help us pay for moving, rent, etc. Course, my wife has to learn to drive a standard, and hopefully the Mini won't need a new clutch soon! ;)

I'm gonna get flack for this, but if you absolutely need a car and don't have the funds, consider taking out some student loans. I had to do this in undergrad due to a horrible accident I was in (hydroplaned and totalled car). Not the best situation to be in, but use the loans if you need too.

I think the "wait and see" approach is the best thing to do. You might even want to post in the City Guide thread to see what others in the area say about the situation. If you do need one, check out Craigslist and Ebay. I've recommended this elsewhere and will say this again: only use those if you feel comfortable, and can look over a car enough to know it's physical condition. If you are not very car literate, make friends with a local mechanic to help you look over a car if you end up buying one. Actually, make friends with one anyways, as you'll need one at some point if you get a car. My mechanic just so happens to go to church with me, so I lucked out there.

Best of luck.. You're not the only one, and def utilize the local public transit. I don't live too far from Nville, and have heard the bus system isn't too shabby there.

Thanks for the advice hejduk! Really appreciate it. I will probably do the wait and see approach but getting a loan for a car is definitely off the table for me...either I can afford the car or I can't. I think in my case, I don't absolutely need a car...it would just be really nice to have one though. With that in mind, I don't think I will take a loan out for a car.

I'm actually in the opposite position of this thread: going from 2 car to 1 car. My wife and I are moving to a VERY bike friendly city, and our goal is to become a one car family. We'll be able to walk/bike everywhere as the city has amazing bike infrastructure. Selling her Altima, which will in turn help us pay for moving, rent, etc. Course, my wife has to learn to drive a standard, and hopefully the Mini won't need a new clutch soon! ;)

I'm gonna get flack for this, but if you absolutely need a car and don't have the funds, consider taking out some student loans. I had to do this in undergrad due to a horrible accident I was in (hydroplaned and totalled car). Not the best situation to be in, but use the loans if you need too.

I think the "wait and see" approach is the best thing to do. You might even want to post in the City Guide thread to see what others in the area say about the situation. If you do need one, check out Craigslist and Ebay. I've recommended this elsewhere and will say this again: only use those if you feel comfortable, and can look over a car enough to know it's physical condition. If you are not very car literate, make friends with a local mechanic to help you look over a car if you end up buying one. Actually, make friends with one anyways, as you'll need one at some point if you get a car. My mechanic just so happens to go to church with me, so I lucked out there.

Best of luck.. You're not the only one, and def utilize the local public transit. I don't live too far from Nville, and have heard the bus system isn't too shabby there.

Edited by ZeeMore21

The car I've had for the last 3 years was purchased for $2000. However my parents have paid for my insurance and my repairs, which I would estimate have been at least $1000 a year. Gas is expensive, insurance is expensive and repairs on an old car can also be quite expensive. It's not very easy to get around my city without a car (1-2 hour bus rides to most places I would need to go, 20 minute drive otherwise), but if you live in the right neighborhood it's definitely possible. I will be somewhat car-less for grad school, in that I won't have my car, but my significant other has a car which he uses for work.

I haven't had a car through undergrad and my Master's and will not be buying one during my PhD. I'm 39 and have two teenage daughters. We walk, take the bus, and, in the summer (we get snow in the winter), ride our bikes. Yes, there have been times I missed having a car, but I'm actually proud not to own one. Resist the culture of car-dependency and encourage more sustainable urban planning! (From today's NY Times, "Europe Stifles Drivers in Favor of Mass Transit and Walking" - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/science/earth/27traffic.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2)

Not owning a car is much cheaper (a car costs money even sitting in the driveway, let alone the rising cost of fuel, repairs and insurance; plus not having a car reduces those impulse outtings or trips to the store) and much better for the environment and for me - more exercise! Even with a mediocre public transit system where I live and two kids to transport and run errands for, I just can't justify the expense of a car. It may be less convenient and take a bit more planning at times, but for me it's worth the savings. I can put the money to better use elsewhere.

Having said that, I'm not at all familiar with Nashville, and only you can decide how much running around you will need to do and how much of it can be done on foot or bike or by bus. I agree with consulting current students in your program. If you are concerned about the bulk and weight of groceries, shop for bulky and heavy things only once every other week or once a month (stock up!) and splurge on a taxi to get home. Still cheaper than owning a car. Coordinate with your roommate and you can split the cost of the taxi.

That's definitely a plan on mine....I would get a bike even if I do get a car. I really would just want the car for big errands and going far distances.

Why not get a bike? I'm currently looking for a folding bike, and this thread in the Lobby was recently started:

That's definitely a plan on mine....I would get a bike even if I do get a car. I really would just want the car for big errands and going far distances.

I have a car. I drive it well under 3000 miles each year, and that's including a few trips out of town each year. What do I use mostly? My bike. You just become more like Europeans, making short trips to purchase the groceries or other items you need rather than stockpiling stuff in your house/pantry.

You might also want to look into ridesharing programs (which I feel like I've suggested to you before) since you could just use those when you need them to pick up large items or go out of town. Also, you can make friends with people in your program and go with them if they're going to the grocery store or Target (give them some gas money if you do this). Just because your roommate won't have a car doesn't mean that you should feel pressured to buy one. If your roomie wants a car, then that's his/her problem, not yours.

And, last but not least, I wouldn't rule out the student loan route. If you borrow a few thousand, you can do it with a subsidized loan and start paying it back while you're still in school if you want. Moreover, even if you do by a car, you might find yourself needing a loan to pay for repairs if something expensive breaks. There's also the expenses of insurance, taxes, and registration that you will want to consider if you decide, at some point, to purchase your own vehicle.

I'll be moving to a city with a pretty unimpressive bus system, but I'm not planning to buy a car- I can't imagine paying all the costs that entails as a grad student (and it's about time I reduced my carbon emissions, after all these flights to visit grad schools!). Hopefully I'll be able to do work as I commute on the bus, and for shopping, I was entertaining the possibility of buying a grocery cart, even though it will make me feel like an old lady. Ideally, I'll live within walking distance of a grocery store.

I wish I lived somewhere where I wouldn't need my car so much, I would love to lower my carbon footprint. I live somewhere that is extremely bike-unfriendly. The bus system here is awful! My husband was stranded somewhere one time and he was pretty far away from home. It was actually faster for him to walk home (took him about 2 hours) than to take the bus. There aren't very many buses running at one time and you will wait forever just to get on one. And you don't want to stay out too late because they all stop running at 7pm. Gas is expensive, but driving is the only realistic way for me to get to and from school. I try not to make unnecessary trips though. Gas prices will make you think twice about impulse trips to the store.

According to their website, Zipcar exists in Nashville. And it looks like they have a special deal for Vandy students - membership only costs $35/year. You get a bunch of miles free with your membership (gas and insurance included), and once you burn through the free miles you pay either an hourly or a daily rate, depending on how long you want the car (it looks like in Nashville it's $8-$9/hour or $66-$72/day, including gas and insurance). When you need to drive, you reserve a Zipcar on their website, and then you pick it up at the Zipcar pick-up spot (there appear to be four pick-up spots on the Vandy campus alone).

This seems like it would suit your needs well. I don't drive, "big errands and long distances" is the model that pretty much everyone I know who has a Zipcar membership is operating under.

According to their website, Zipcar exists in Nashville. And it looks like they have a special deal for Vandy students - membership only costs $35/year. You get a bunch of miles free with your membership (gas and insurance included), and once you burn through the free miles you pay either an hourly or a daily rate, depending on how long you want the car (it looks like in Nashville it's $8-$9/hour or $66-$72/day, including gas and insurance). When you need to drive, you reserve a Zipcar on their website, and then you pick it up at the Zipcar pick-up spot (there appear to be four pick-up spots on the Vandy campus alone).

This seems like it would suit your needs well. I don't drive, "big errands and long distances" is the model that pretty much everyone I know who has a Zipcar membership is operating under.

Agreed. I've visited campuses where a lot of the grad students frequently use Zipcar. Most use it to get groceries and just split the costs with friends (when multiple people go shopping). Considering the cost of gas these days, the prices are very reasonable.

Zipcar itself almost convinced me into not bringing my car to school, but being a SoCal native, it's almost unheard of--maybe one of these years...

I will also not be having a car to start grad school. My grad school is also in the south and I do hear that public transportation isn't great down there. However, it seemed like a decent amount of grad student did not have cars. My plan was finding a nice close place to campus (.2 miles away from the building where I'll have my classes/work in the lab and I think .4 miles from the grocery store). So like others said, I just plan to walk, bike to places. I'm hoping I can bum rides to walmart or somewhere from my roommates who I know at least one has a car. I've never had a car my entire life and I'm used to bumming rides off friends. I wish I could drive myself around though!

• 2 weeks later...

How many graduate students here will be starting their programs without a car? Since I wasn't too successful finding a job for the summer, my plans to purchase a used car is still up in the air right now, especially since I'm thinking about how to handle all the initial costs I will have to deal with when I move in August. I will be living in Nashville, which is not the most car-friendly of all places, but the upside is that I will be living very close to campus and there is an adequate public transportation system if I need it. I am not too sure about groceries and other places where I will need to purchase items, but I'm hoping they are not too far away. I'm also nervous about how to go about hanging out with fellow students in my program without a car.

But anyway, I was hoping that I would hear from others who will most likely not have their own transportation off the bat. How do you plan on commuting? Do you plan on purchasing a car when you get settled in? My plan is to maybe wait a couple months and see if I can get a used car, but I'm not sure if that will work out. There is a little bit of pressure on my end since my roommate doesn't have a license and isn't from the States so it will take her a while also if she ever plans on searching for a vehicle. I'm trying not to stress myself out over the transportation issue but the older I get (almost 24), the more responsibility I feel to purchase a car so I can be more dependent and be able to go wherever I want to, especially as a graduate student. But maybe I'm just being too hard on myself.

It would be nice to also hear from graduate students who do have experience going without a car. Thanks!

Well I decided to buy a brand new car after I graduated from my undergrad because I was rejected by most of my grad schools and didn't have hope for the last one. However, I was accepted and I'm definitely going. I'm going to school in a city that has a subway though so I'll be fine (I think). I asked my professors at my current school if it was required by them when they were in their grad program (clinicals and externships) and they said not until their 2nd year. I'm going to keep paying my auto loan and see if I do need my car later but I think because I'm in a metro area I'll be okay.

Zee, it totally depends on which school you are attending here in Nashville. If you live near Acklen / Hillsboro Village and attend Vandy, you can walk to the grocery store, laundromat and school. Belmont is very nearby so attending there doesn't require a car.

But if you are at TSU, Trevecca, or a state school you might want a car so you can get to more fun areas of town.

I am currently carless, a block from Vandy, and I have a toddler! We're hoping we can make it without a car but the back up plan is to buy a used pick up truck for my hubby.

Edited by VandyPeabody2012

Zee, it totally depends on which school you are attending here in Nashville. If you live near Acklen / Hillsboro Village and attend Vandy, you can walk to the grocery store, laundromat and school. Belmont is very nearby so attending there doesn't require a car.

But if you are at TSU, Trevecca, or a state school you might want a car so you can get to more fun areas of town.

I am currently carless, a block from Vandy, and I have a toddler! We're hoping we can make it without a car but the back up plan is to buy a used pick up truck for my hubby.

Thanks for all the advice. I will be attending Vanderbilt, actually. Since I am in English, I will mainly be working in Benson Hall I assume. I have been researching bus lines and I think there is a bus that stops not to far from my residence and does make a stop on the Vandy campus. Are you familiar with this bus line?

I commend you on doing the graduate school thing and raising a toddler on top of getting around Nashviile! That really is something to be proud of.

Edited by ZeeMore21

I was in your situation last year. I've been a big city girl all my life and I moved to a smaller, spread out city. I carpooled last year, and the bus system got me downtown for teaching, but I'm actually going to a dealership tomorrow and will hopefully have a car. It's going to be a big expense, but as I'm starting my project and we're all taking different classes, it's basically a necessity. I will also be using student loans to pull this off, but I'm rationalizing it by reminding myself how much I really need it to get to classes and my lab.

I did my first year of my PhD program without a car. It was a bit tough at times, but def not impossible (although, of course, this will depend on your city and your location within it). I did get a Zipcar membership, which was very helpful for occasional trips to the grocery store/ presenting at a conference 60 miles away / a few other errands that I couldn't have pulled off without a car. All in all, though, I think I used the Zipcar about 6-7 times per semester- everything else I managed to do by walking, public transport, and bumming rides from friends.

For the upcoming school year, my roommate and I decided to split the cost of an old station wagon that still runs well- a friend was moving across the country and sold it to us for $700. I'm interested to see how much we'll actually use it, since we both became accustomed to going carless last year. Plus, it's a stick and we're still learning to drive it! :-)