Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

In any case, Safferz, this just to be your best Valentine's Day gift in your life so forth, right? :) And for anyone else who has received offers from Harvard today.

Indeed! I should go buy myself chocolate (not that I ever need an occasion for that...)

I'm pretty in awe of your decisiveness, I have to say.

All fantastic schools and departments, but I have a good idea of what they're strong and weak at for Africa/African studies, so it hasn't been too difficult for me to know where I'd prefer to go. Turning down UPenn was the hardest though because of their strength and tradition of the Horn -- I really admire the work of two historians there and I know I'd grow immensely under their direction given my research interests, but that doesn't mean I can't get to know them as colleagues in this tiny field of ours or even take a class at UPenn in the future. And one of them sent me a really kind and thoughtful note after I explained why I was turning down their offer, with lots of advice and to say he was hoping Harvard would come through for me :)

That's an interesting twist on the idea of "fit." It can be as much about what they lack as it is what their strengths are. What a wacky process. Congrats Safferz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention that 'fit' can also be thematic, and not necessarily corresponding to time period or region, which was the case for some of the schools I got into. So you really just have to put together the best application you can, with the view of what you and a department/subfield have to offer, and just hope that their needs this cycle happen to be what you bring to the table!

So I'm totally taking the day off and going back to bed now. Best of luck everyone, I'm rooting for all of you!!

Woah. I just woke up to an email from Harvard. I made it!!!!!! This is unbelievable. I don't know what to do with myself.

But, for all those still waiting for acceptances/rejections, I honestly expected every single school to reject me. I may quite literally come from the crappiest college in NYC (open admissions) yet somehow I made it into Harvard with nothing more than a BA in History and some heart. That's not to gloat but to give you hope that anything is possible. Anything.

Woah. I just woke up to an email from Harvard. I made it!!!!!! This is unbelievable. I don't know what to do with myself.

But, for all those still waiting for acceptances/rejections, I honestly expected every single school to reject me. I may quite literally come from the crappiest college in NYC (open admissions) yet somehow I made it into Harvard with nothing more than a BA in History and some heart. That's not to gloat but to give you hope that anything is possible. Anything.

CONGRATS!!! If you don't mind sharing, what's your subfield?

That is amazing news. I hope you go celebrate today!

Congratulations!

Congratulations! This warms my heart. It also gives me hope. It just goes to show that adcoms care about what you do when you're 18+, not how well you did when you were in high school! Congratulations.

Two thumbs up -- this is wonderful news. Congratulations to you!

waking up at noon + harvard acceptance = awesome valentine's day already? congrats!

bounban, what time period do you study?

Actually I am interested in the late history of Iraq and will study Iraqi Turkmens in 19th & 20th century. I am still unsure about whether I should get my PhD in history or anthropology. Since I have a sociology background, I decided to apply to MA degrees focusing on Middle East and improve my Arabic and knowledge before having PhD. What about you?

Actually I am interested in the late history of Iraq and will study Iraqi Turkmens in 19th & 20th century. I am still unsure about whether I should get my PhD in history or anthropology. Since I have a sociology background, I decided to apply to MA degrees focusing on Middle East and improve my Arabic and knowledge before having PhD. What about you?

I'm not formally in a 'Middle East Field'--I study the Cold War in the Middle East so my focus is more international/global/US diplomatic, but I try to have one foot in the regional field. Now I have three years of Arabic and will have 4 after this summer at Middlebury. Best of luck, if you have any questions about a MA in Middle Eastern Studies PM me.

Congrats irvinchiva!! And thanks everyone! My attempt at an early afternoon nap was full of fail, I'm just too excited :D

Its about time...after that Cal rejection, I was beginning to wonder if you had passed your prime...

Bah! After I got the Berkeley rejection to add to Northwestern, my brother said it must be because your application repels non-Ivies :lol:

I'm not formally in a 'Middle East Field'--I study the Cold War in the Middle East so my focus is more international/global/US diplomatic, but I try to have one foot in the regional field. Now I have three years of Arabic and will have 4 after this summer at Middlebury. Best of luck, if you have any questions about a MA in Middle Eastern Studies PM me.

Thanks a lot cooperstreet, good luck to you too!

There is no way to describe the intense anxiety, fear, nervousness, and impatience that I am mired down in. I hate junk mail - so much. I kinda want to go pay little kids in the village to call departments and see where they are in the process.

I feel the same way. At this point I would just like to hear from at least one school, to know that they even got my apps.