Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Crazed, I agree with Meg22. I probably wouldn't correct the error.

No, I did not get invited to the NYU propsie weekend. :( However, I have heard that sometimes that doesn't matter... I just want this cycle to be over so I can make plans!

Stay in the present, Sandy, stay in the present. Enjoy your freedom before September... savor every innocent moment that you have.... :)

Oh TMP I am trying! I am having such a hard time teaching and staying focused. I was lecturing on the Romans today (usually fun and interesting) and all I could think was that I won't be doing this next year, I'll actually be working on my work!

I probably wouldn't email her back with the correction. It is very possible that she mistyped 3 instead of 5 and that the directive from the department had the correct number. The graduate studies director won't go back to the department with the new info.

I'm not sure I agree with this -- there's no harm in making the correction, assuming it's done tactfully and without the expectation that they'll reconsider. Five courses is significant, at my school four history courses gets you a minor and seven is the major! I don't think it's a coincidence or typo that she said three either, knowing that two of your courses were grad seminars and could have been overlooked as a result.

I'm not sure I agree with this -- there's no harm in making the correction, assuming it's done tactfully and without the expectation that they'll reconsider. Five courses is significant, at my school four history courses gets you a minor and seven is the major! I don't think it's a coincidence or typo that she said three either, knowing that two of your courses were grad seminars and could have been overlooked as a result.

I agree with Safferz. You may never know what difference this correction could make to your chance of being admitted.

Well, it's potentially funded..... And I know that I can undergo this process again, no matter how much the notion makes me sick at the moment. I very well may do it.

I have a protocol question: In the email from the DGS she said that they were very impressed/enthusiastic about my app but because I only had 3[sic] History courses they wanted to admit me for the MA. The error is that I have 5 history courses, 2 of which are grad seminars. I'm scared that they were only looking at my undergrad transcript and that they didn't see my 2 grad seminars. She even said that (paraphrase) they didn't have evidence that I could do History at the grad level (my writing sample! I may cry).

Should I risk emailing back and trying to correct her if she is in fact mistaken?

I'm currently very much against the idea but if anyone thinks otherwise I'd love to hear it.

@Sandy,

Did you get invited to the NYU soiree?

Crazed, I definitely think a tactful email thanking them for accepting but informing them that you do seem to be qualified under their requisites. It may not get you the PhD, but it might improve your odds of making that potential funding become a reality.

New member here... Anyone have any word on NYU decisions, when to expect them? This past weekend I attended Prospective Students Weekend, which was just as awkward and disconcerting as one would expect. Based on previous cycles, how long does it take them to send out the bulk of their decisions after hosting their Weekend?

I dont know when NYU usually does, and I'm in a weirder boat because I applied to a dual degree program. I looked on the results board and theres basically no evidence that anyone who went on gradcafe ever got into this joint program, so I almost want to give up hope! ugh.

Also, broken record here, but Rutgers?! Why do they wait soooo long just to reject people? I think it's rude to keep us hanging.

New member here... Anyone have any word on NYU decisions, when to expect them? This past weekend I attended Prospective Students Weekend, which was just as awkward and disconcerting as one would expect. Based on previous cycles, how long does it take them to send out the bulk of their decisions after hosting their Weekend?

Last year, acceptance letters went out 2 weeks after PSW. Rejections went out 3-4 weeks later.

Last year, acceptance letters went out 2 weeks after PSW. Rejections went out 3-4 weeks later.

Damn, 2 weeks! NYU is really taking its sweet time in comparison to virtually every other school. Kind of ridiculous, a little annoyed with this whole PSW event... feeling a little fruitless.

I dont know when NYU usually does, and I'm in a weirder boat because I applied to a dual degree program. I looked on the results board and theres basically no evidence that anyone who went on gradcafe ever got into this joint program, so I almost want to give up hope! ugh.

Also, broken record here, but Rutgers?! Why do they wait soooo long just to reject people? I think it's rude to keep us hanging.

Joint programs seem to come in a little after than history admissions.

Such a slaughter. Major.

Tel Aviv is starting to look pretty good, says the girl who got rejected from THREE phd programs in one day...

Crazed, UMASS is a great place! Congrats. I hope you feel a little relieved...

I know a couple people who went to TAU for ME studies and are doing quite well in Phd programs.

Can't give up hope ... no matter what ... not sound all Panglossian (Death to Voltaire!), but all is for the best in the best possible world

Yeah, my heart is really warming up to tel aviv MES. but i also have an soon-to-be fiance that i need to factor in. I think he's cool with moving back there, but it's a big discussion. He has a great job here in NY and all my other MA options will probably be here. ah! Anyone else factoring in a significant other?

Yeah, I think I'll hear pretty late from the joint program (NYU) with Skirball and History. Would really like to get in there, but I've gotten bad vibes since the Fall.

Edited by uhohlemonster

Yeah, my heart is really warming up to tel aviv MES. but i also have an soon-to-be fiance that i need to factor in. I think he's cool with moving back there, but it's a big discussion. He has a great job here in NY and all my other MA options will probably be here. ah! Anyone else factoring in a significant other?

Yeah, I think I'll hear pretty late from the joint program (NYU) with Skirball and History. Would really like to get in there, but I've gotten bad vibes since the Fall.

Same boat. And mine's starting a 3 year program at Penn. So if this year doesnt work out I may hang out until she's done and then reapply--which means starting a Phd program at 32.

It makes me ridiculously sad to think about being apart from my boyfriend from 2-3 years. He's going to law school and will remain in-state while I go where I need to go. I wish we could have plan out stuff better, but there was no way around it. :(

Same boat. And mine's starting a 3 year program at Penn. So if this year doesnt work out I may hang out until she's done and then reapply--which means starting a Phd program at 32.

32 is young by today's standards (says the guy who will be 39 in 2 weeks)...

My wife has lived in jersey, brooklyn, LA and so. fla. and now i'm fixing to drag her to (hopefully!) madison...she says she's down for it, so we'll see...

btw...I was told, and subsequently reported here, that funding info was coming out of UW-M late last week...looks like my intel was bad...sorry all...

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'

My adviser is talking to connections she has at the places where I was rejected and I'm getting great feedback and a lot of encouragements to reapply. Now I really have to decide if I should go to WUSTL or wait and reapply next year...

It makes me ridiculously sad to think about being apart from my boyfriend from 2-3 years. He's going to law school and will remain in-state while I go where I need to go. I wish we could have plan out stuff better, but there was no way around it. :(

hey Kelkel me too! It's going to be such a rough 2-3 years. Hang in there. What is the distance going to be?