Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

C&I, I'm the Temple admit. It was a huge surprise because I was denied at UT Austin and haven't heard anything still from OSU. I was beginning to think I wouldn't make it this cycle. Actually, the letter didn't mention anything at all about funding so I guess I still haven't officially made it.

Sorry it took so long to get back on - GC kept crashing. For what it's worth, I looked at last year's results and Temple strung out acceptances for over a month.

Hey, many thanks for your response! It's been a rough day, what, with the Yale rejections and all.... Can I ask what your subfield is? Of course, PM me if you would prefer.

teachgrad, YAHOO!!!! You know who to turn to here :)

teke- that is a perfectly legit question to ask your advisers during your campus visits. See how they respond. If they seem quite flexible, either the program is really flexible (you can check in with the students) or they're really willing to bend over backwards for you so you can come to them. I've always heard from my POIs that they're perfectly okay with students changing directions- it's a matter of making sure that they've got the grounding. Like for example, I've heard of a student who was doing primarily US history until he became fascinated with Italian history and had to do his MA coursework all over again to prove himself that he could do European and Italian history. Just don't switch too late in the process! :)

One of the medievalist rejections said it was from a POI, the other said it was from the director.

I'm the medievalist who posted that I heard about my Columbia rejection from the director, but it was actually one of my POIs - I was confused about his position within the department. He said that official rejections would come in a few weeks but he just wanted to let me know that I wasn't in. I hope this helps.

Oh dear. Gonna brace for this tomorrow...

Did it arrive by email or mail?

Mail. 'Tis the Harvard way. You know what made it really bad last year? I got rejected on Valentine's Day by Yale and then on the 18th by Harvard. The 18th is my anniversary with my fiance. Thanks, Ivies!

Do we think that Columbia is done sending acceptances as well?

I think someone posted last week that the official notifications for Columbia would be out at the end of February. Up to now the notifications have been informal emails from professors. As has also been noted here, you're not rejected until you're rejected.

Do we think that Columbia is done sending acceptances as well?

His email also said that they admitted 6% of applicants overall this year, which makes it sound like they already admitted everyone. I have no idea though, and it does seem weird that there aren't waitlist people.

I'm sorry to the person who received notification about their Vanderbilt rejection. How did you find out? I don't see anything on the website yet, and was just wondering when I should anticipate receiving my fate. Feel free to PM me if that would be easiest.

His email also said that they admitted 6% of applicants overall this year, which makes it sound like they already admitted everyone. I have no idea though, and it does seem weird that there aren't waitlist people.

When I called last week the man I spoke with told me that they weren't through with the decision process. That being said, maybe he was only being polite and they just plan on sending rejections. I really hope that's not the case, even though I knew it was a long shot.

Edited by usctrojanmia

Mail. 'Tis the Harvard way. You know what made it really bad last year? I got rejected on Valentine's Day by Yale and then on the 18th by Harvard. The 18th is my anniversary with my fiance. Thanks, Ivies!

Aw, that's brutal.

I live outside the US, so I don't know if mail will get here at the same time as everyone else. But, I know to expect that little present soon...

Ugh, yeah, sorry to bring the negative vibe, but I think Columbia might be done. It seems to be the same pattern as a lot of the other places. Accepted candidates are told informally and rejections come later.

I agree that the absence of a wait list does seem unusual, but it could just be that people haven't posted yet. Or, even wait list people might find out later. A Yale wait list was posted just yesterday (a day before the rejections), so maybe wait listers will find out later.

6% really? That would mean that the applications went down this year at Columbia. I mean, let's be generous here. If they offered 20 admits, that'd yield to about 330 applications. I really doubt that they would get anything less than 300 given its prestige and location (it's NEW YORK!). I can't imagine Columbia admitting more than 30 students (which, then would yield to about 500. So we can be looking at anywhere between 330 to 500 applications. So if we really hope for any further Columbia acceptances, we can lean more towards the 500 application guess for 30 offers.

Wouldn't the number of offers be more than the number of students who would eventually be enrolled? So, they could have 30 offers and have 20 - 25 people accept.

Their website says that they typically get around 600 applications. So, yeah, I think you're right that the number of apps might have gone down...

6% really? That would mean that the applications went down this year at Columbia. I mean, let's be generous here. If they offered 20 admits, that'd yield to about 330 applications. I really doubt that they would get anything less than 300 given its prestige and location (it's NEW YORK!). I can't imagine Columbia admitting more than 30 students (which, then would yield to about 500. So we can be looking at anywhere between 330 to 500 applications. So if we really hope for any further Columbia acceptances, we can lean more towards the 500 application guess for 30 offers.

I'm afraid further Columbia acceptances are probably unlikely — the department sent out an email earlier in the week with information about the visiting day on March 2. The email was cc-ed to all of the accepted students. The total appears to be 34. Pretty strange that they're not doing a waitlist, though.

So 34? Then that's about 566 applications. Just a little below the average but largely unchanged, really.

FYI- not a Columbia applicant. I'm just generally amazed by any department that has to review over 500 applications. It's like... being a needle in a haystack.

Edited by ticklemepink