Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Yeah, we shall see what tomorrow brings. I'm kinda depressed over this cycle. I think I will probably have to get an MA and then reapply. I'm might end up applying to phd programs with two master's degrees in my pocket........

Well, then you'll have a killer application and extra time to develop your CV! Learn some crazy new language like that African click language. I'm not sure how that would help your scholarship, but it might be a very interesting conversation piece for interviews =)

And there is the official UVA rejection! Figured this was coming. It's about time.

No, I was being melodramatic as I'm wont to do. I have to keep things in perspective. I may have some very sweet offers coming - no Harvard, Yale, or UVA but stepping stones nonetheless. So I'm gonna keep that and mind and quit being a baby.

I just scurried to the UVA website and I have nothing there! Nor did I get an email. Looks like they're gonna torture me. Oh, the heartache and thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to! :) Seriously, I'm gonna try. No more melodrama!

Edited by crazedandinfused

No, I was being melodramatic as I'm wont to do. I have to keep things in perspective. I may have some very sweet offers coming - no Harvard, Yale, or UVA but stepping stones nonetheless. So I'm gonna keep that and mind and quit being a baby.

I just scurried to the UVA website and I have nothing there! Nor did I get an email. Looks like they're gonna torture me. Oh, the heartache and thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to! :) Seriously, I'm gonna try. No more melodrama!

You're absolutely right. I should have looked at your signature before I sent that. You have a ton of solid programs out there. and *knocking on wood* the silence from UVA is a good thing I should think. A lot of the profs here would have probably suggested UVA over Harvard (maybe that's just an anti-Harvard persuasion in our department though???)

But Definitely chin up! There's still a month!

Hey all. My poi at Rutgers just suggested an MA there if I dontget off the wait list. I'm nervous she thinks it's a better idea for me. OR she wanted to calm my nerves by letting me know there's a plan B for us to work together... Either way, I'm nauseous. I need her to really believe in me for the PhD, and I don't want her to stop advocating for me. :( thoughts?

And another one bites, another one bites, another one bites the dust: Rutgers

I think its clear at this point that I'm no Safferz or emerald54 or telemaque or...you get the message...

come on UW-M funding!!! I understand these letters have been mailed...

@monster, it could also means that she really wants you, and doesn't want to lose you if you don't make it off the waitlist. did you ask about chances getting into Ph.D. after masters? she could also be a strong advocate for you in your post-masters apps. i would look glass half full and see it as a vote of confidence!

And another one bites, another one bites, another one bites the dust: Rutgers

I think its clear at this point that I'm no Safferz or emerald54 or telemaque or...you get the message...

come on UW-M funding!!! I understand these letters have been mailed...

Yep, just got my Rutgers rejection as well. My POI at Wisconsin sent me a very nice email yesterday telling me that although I was nominated for a fellowship, I didn't get one. Sounds like availability of the fellowships are way down this year, and competition is pretty stiff.

Hey all. My poi at Rutgers just suggested an MA there if I dontget off the wait list. I'm nervous she thinks it's a better idea for me. OR she wanted to calm my nerves by letting me know there's a plan B for us to work together... Either way, I'm nauseous. I need her to really believe in me for the PhD, and I don't want her to stop advocating for me. :( thoughts?

Maybe she's not in a position to advocate for you? From what you described, it seems like if the other Jewish History (or broader subfielder) declines, then your in. If that person doesn't, you might not get in. She might not be able to fight to get you an acceptance if a British History person declines.

Don't think that she doesn't believe in you for the PhD. As I've been told, sometimes an MA is a needed stop along the way for the PhD. She's probably making you feel better about your chances of attending that dream school of yours!!!

See my PM, monster. :) I did forget to mention what others are saying. She sees potential in your application but the competition was just too stiff. She is interested in mentoring you from here on if you want to take advantage of her generosity. She doesn't expect you to take the Plan B but is only a suggestion that a MA would make your much more competitive.

You guys are so nice and helpful for reminding me about the glass half full. I think I will reserve my questions and application to one of their MA programs until I get news from them about he wait list. And i think youre right about her power situation. In our first emails after the wait list, she made it clear that we just have to wait to see what happens and asked me to let her know when I hear things, so maybe she's not even as in the loop as I thought originally. She's director of Jewish Studies as well as a Hist dept person, so that might be part of it.

Thank you all so much. And I'm sorry about the bad news morning all - hopefully later today will be better!

For me, the Rutgers reject was expected (my wife is more bummed, cuz her family is in central Jersey)...my real news will come hopefully via post later today, when I hear from UW-M, and for good news in that regard, I am

Hopin'-n-Prayin'

P.S.: Monster, you sound so much warmer...and closer today...remember, this AINT Brooklyn missy- minimum of SPF 15 at all times!!!!

Edited by Hopin'-n-Prayin'

Now I'm really confused - spoke with the History Dept at UConn and was told that absolutely NO decisions had been sent out; that there was one more adcom meeting scheduled for early next week . . .she sounded like she knew what she was talking about - strange . . .

I've got my fingers crossed for you, HnP! And all other UW-Mers waiting on funding. If it doesn't work out for me, I'm glad to know that their funds went to such good people.

Edited by emerald54

Now I'm really confused - spoke with the History Dept at UConn and was told that absolutely NO decisions had been sent out; that there was one more adcom meeting scheduled for early next week . . .she sounded like she knew what she was talking about - strange . . .

Are they not aware of this site? lol. But it still sounds like good news from my end.