Anyone else get an interview invitation from Michigan's Screen Arts and Cultures program? I just got an email from the DGS. (They're my first choice - I'm so excited I can barely type.)

Have you heard anything further about this? When was/is the interview, are they interviewing each potential accept (Northwestern style), have all interview requests gone out, etc.? Any details at all?

Thanks!

@ Swagato

It's an interview weekend sort of thing (like Northwestern) March 15-17. The email made it sound like they're interviewing all of the potential accepts but I have no real idea, nor do I know whether all the invitations have already gone out. Sorry I can't be of more help. The DGS said she'd call me early this coming week so I should have more details in a few days.

I don't know if they have given out all of the notices, but I do know that they are not accepting people that they did not interview.

One common misconception about Wisconsin (and UCSB for that matter) is that the MA and Ph.D. are seperate programs or have seperate admissions. In both of these programs applicants with BAs and MAs are considered alongside each other. I have been told that each of the programs at Wisconsin (media and cultural studies, film, etc.) typically accepts about 4 people (give or take). Sometimes they take two with BAs and two with MAs. Other times, they will take all 4 with just BAs or all 4 who already have MAs (which was the case last cycle with the MCS program). So they don't consider the applicants seperately.

But to answer your question, I am going in with a BA. I have been accepted to the Ph.D. program, but as all applicants coming in with a BA, I will complete the MA first. In terms of the admission process though, there is no difference.

I hope that helps ( :

Edited by ci1717

congrats ci717! do you know if they've given out all of their notices? Are you doing an MA or a PhD?

Still very interested in hearing your account of Stanford!

This was me earlier in this thread:

I am extremely interested in your Stanford story, because I recently added that to my list for next round of applications. I'm very interested in how you pitched yourself for that one, what you'd like to do at Stanford, why Stanford, and how your interview went, and anything else you can tell me about the program, really. Stanford is typically not mentioned in the same breath as the 'canonical' film studies programs (Chicago, USC, and so on) but from what I recently saw, I'm very interested indeed. Do feel free to PM me anytime.

I'm applying to/have applied to the following programs:

UT-Austin

Northwestern

Penn (Annenberg)

UW-Madison

Chicago

Brown

MIT

Syracuse

NYU (Steinhardt)

The New School

I've applied to the Media & Cultural Studies PhD track at UW-Madison, and received an e-mail recently to schedule an interview for this week. It is my top choice--and virtually a perfect fit--so I'm hoping all goes well!

Hey, Have you heard from Northwestern yet?

Northwestern interview invitations went out a long time back. While of course nothing is official until it's official in this game, I would not hold out hope for Northwestern at this point (if you have not heard anything yet). From that list, UT-Austin, Northwestern, Chicago, Brown have all responded.

Northwestern interview invitations went out a long time back. While of course nothing is official until it's official in this game, I would not hold out hope for Northwestern at this point (if you have not heard anything yet). From that list, UT-Austin, Northwestern, Chicago, Brown have all responded.

It's just that I had the opportunity to meet with a faculty member from NU who earlier showed interest in my research topic. I guess it doesn't always work out. I've been wait listed at Rochester. Rejected from UC Berkeley and Brown. Waiting to hear from NYU and Iowa.

Yeah I imagine that sort of thing happens. It's tough, of course. I did my MA from Chicago but was (I'm guessing) rejected straightaway as I have heard nothing yet. It's good that you're waitlisted at Rochester; do you have any details on that? How many admits, and that sort of thing? I'm waiting on Iowa as well; last year they responded around this date, so let's see.

So, this might a pretty belated question but...

I'm currently completing my undergraduate degree (not in film studies) at NYU and I've applied to terminal M.A. Film Studies programs at USC, UCLA, Emory, and Chapman for Fall 2012, but have yet to hear a peep. I have a 3.9 GPA and excellent GRE scores, but I admitted in my statement of purpose that I don't really have a specific research focus yet. I've noticed on this forum that a lot of applicants have mentioned the quality of the research proposals in statements of intent as key factors for admissions offices, but I would have supposed that was true mostly for PhD programs.

So my question is: do terminal M.A. programs generally expect applicants to already have specialized?

I mean I haven't studied film studies extensively at this point, so it wouldn't make sense for me to have a highly specific focus. What do you guys think?

Edited by waitingforgodard

This would honestly be a question for your academic advisor(s). I'm unsure why you elected to apply to terminal MA programs, since many of them are not funded. Emory is an exception. I don't think you're expected to have a razor-sharp and radical research focus for the MA, but I'll be frank: in the current admissions climate, clarity is likely going to be a valuable benefit.

Overall, I would seek out your advisor(s) and have a heart-to-heart. NYU is a great place, and faculty are generally responsive to genuine inquiries and discussions. Just be sure to map out your questions before you go in.

Not really a question for advisors...

Since applications for Fall 2012 were completed and submitted last semester, I've already had my heart-to-hearts with advisors, and they helped me arrive at the decision to apply to terminal M.A. film studies programs, as well as other programs of study. My question is more about graduate admissions policies and whether or not M.A. programs generally look specific research focuses.

It seems as though several of the posters on this forum are completing or have completed terminal MAs and are now applying to PhD programs. So I'm wondering how specific your focuses were when you applied?

Yeah I imagine that sort of thing happens. It's tough, of course. I did my MA from Chicago but was (I'm guessing) rejected straightaway as I have heard nothing yet. It's good that you're waitlisted at Rochester; do you have any details on that? How many admits, and that sort of thing? I'm waiting on Iowa as well; last year they responded around this date, so let's see.

No clue to what Rochester has planned so far, I'm only hoping I have moved up the list. Not having heard from Iowa worries me. I'm expecting a rejection letter from them sometime during March 1st or 2nd week.

Nobody has heard from Iowa that I know of. It is still within the window for their notifications. You make the third Iowa applicant on this forum that I'm aware of, and there are likely a few others. I'm sure we'll hear something very soon, likely this week.

Not really a question for advisors...

Since applications for Fall 2012 were completed and submitted last semester, I've already had my heart-to-hearts with advisors, and they helped me arrive at the decision to apply to terminal M.A. film studies programs, as well as other programs of study. My question is more about graduate admissions policies and whether or not M.A. programs generally look specific research focuses.

It seems as though several of the posters on this forum are completing or have completed terminal MAs and are now applying to PhD programs. So I'm wondering how specific your focuses were when you applied?

To answer your original question, there is certainly less pressure to have a demonstrable research interest when applying to a terminal MA program. I know that I didn't express focused research intentions (though I did my best to figure things out by the time I began classes, so my course work could be more focused and build toward something), and I still got into both of the programs that I applied to, despite a Business background.

Regarding your general anxiety, it's understandable, but I didn't hear from my programs until late March / early April... MA programs generally are much slower to notify.

You're correct that at a PhD level, you are absolutely expected to have targeted research interests. At your level, not so much.

Edited by nyfilmfest

As far as I know, Yale's Film Studies + (other department) interviews occurred quite some time ago. I'm under the impression their admissions are already done and have written it off my list, pending some weird upset.