I wasn't the one who posted, but I got a Pitt admit for English/Film Studies via e-mail on the 6th. It didn't mention how many people were accepted/whether the admits had already been notified, but if the person who posted got theirs on the 7th it's entirely possible Pitt is still making decisions.

Hi everyone, just found this forum on my hunt for a timeline for Berkeley decisions! I'm applying for film & media (with Slavic) at Berkeley and Yale. I'm from a UK school (Cambridge) and was originally intended on applying for grad school here, but funding is really difficult to come by in the UK and the structure of a US PhD would suit me a lot better. My app was pretty rushed though (no revision for GRE (literally booked it a few days before and got up and did it, without having done maths in 4 years!), only two drafts of my SOP, writing sample thrown together from my third year dissertation and two favourite undergrad essays) so I'm not really expecting to get in... And it looks like I'm on Berkeley's reject pile already, as acceptances seem to have gone out.

Anyway, this forum has kind of freaked me out because I didn't really know before how underprepared I was. I think I did okay on my GRE (V 166, Q 159, AW 5.5 - although I have basically no idea what that actually means and there seem to be much higher scores floating around here), but what's really worrying me is my lack of research experience and conference papers and things, because that's not an option for UK undergrads, particularly in the humanities (I current just study Russian). Is that something that will be ruling me out already?

I see a Brown Modern Culture and Media acceptance, but the date is off...it is still the 14th here on the East Coast, but the result claims 15th, via phone call. A possible international admit? If anyone claims it, please provide more details. Thanks!

I see a Brown Modern Culture and Media acceptance, but the date is off...it is still the 14th here on the East Coast, but the result claims 15th, via phone call. A possible international admit? If anyone claims it, please provide more details. Thanks!

That was me ... I think my timezone settings may be off since according to my screen you wrote your message at 4:45 AM.

4 admits (I think - not sure if that means it has been decided or will be). Still has to go through DGS...

Does anyone know what's going on with Rochester's Visual and Cultural Studies? There's one admit posted on Feb 13 without any other details, and nobody else seems to have received any word. Any further information re: this program would be terrific!

Also got my letter for the USC MA Program and got thrown on the Waitlist. Bit of a dissapointment, though I already got into Emory with full scholarship so I'm not hugely upset.

Does anyone know anything about the wait list? If I sign up for it, am I committed to going if I get in? What does this mean for financial aid? Could I find out about aid before I decide? Bueller?

Sorry for the overload of questions!

This isn't specifically for this application season, but do we have any ideas about Stanford University's Film Studies program within its Department of Art and Art History? Notable names? Reasons to be interested in it? Strengths? Anything?

For those still waiting to hear from UCSB, I got an email from the graduate coordinator - turns out, they've sent out all their rejects, they're still waiting for clarification on their funding before they can consider admitting me and a few others in my position. So it's okay to keep your fingers still crossed.

Nice! Fingers crossed for you Vanillatea.

On a related note, what is the word on the street about UCSB among your teachers/advisors? What have you heard in terms of prestige/department culture?

Umm...the reason I applied there was that I thought I was a good fit with the department, a number of people are working closely on areas I'm interested in (Bhaskar Sarkar, Christina Venegas, Charles Woolfe, Micheal Curtin) and I would love to have them as my supervisors. I'm familiar with most of their work as well. I've been out of school for nearly three years now, so can't advise you on prestige, but I did email a couple of current PhD students and they told me wonderful things about department culture, resourcefulness and helpfulness. Funds are always a big problem with public unis, especially the UC schools, and Santa Barbara is no exception. I'd say it really depends on your area of interest and your POI's work ethic, support and excitement about having you as their student. I have in fact, only heard good things about the department. I guess it's prolly not as glamorous as USC or NYU.

Edited by Vanilatea

I'm on what I assume is the de facto funding waitlist at UCSB as well. The main point of attraction there for me (beyond my POIs, who are Penley and Branigan) is that they have a shortened Ph.D-only program. I have a Film Studies MA already so potentially taking a year off of the Ph.D process would be nice.

As for the program itself, in a more general sense, it has good faculty diversity, to be sure, and it has a good reputation, from what I gather. If you're in, it's definitely an option to consider seriously, competitive with the other programs on your list. The biggest downside about the program would be the same funding issues that afflict any of the UofC schools, I'd say, but if you have that locked up already, that is a non-issue.

Concordia met and notified for the Ph.D yesterday. After a LoR mishap, I found out the good news and posted a positive result. I also know of a friend who was admitted and notified yesterday. I don't know what the cohort size is, nor do I have a timetable for possible future notifications.

This seems to be the week for Adcom meetings at Concordia! I know that Humanities met yesterday as well... Good luck!

Hey, I notice that you're a fellow applicant to Harvard's FVS. Do you have any inkling about that at all? Last year the calls came on Feb. 19th...

Hey, I notice that you're a fellow applicant to Harvard's FVS. Do you have any inkling about that at all? Last year the calls came on Feb. 19th...

Haven't yet heard a peep! And I'm not holding my breath... but I have to say that Harvard FVS is the only program that might lead me to reconsider Brown's offer, which I'm pretty sure I will be accepting in any case. There are so many people in that tiny program whose interests align with my own (perhaps) strange ones.

Concordia met and notified for the Ph.D yesterday. After a LoR mishap, I found out the good news and posted a positive result. I also know of a friend who was admitted and notified yesterday. I don't know what the cohort size is, nor do I have a timetable for possible future notifications.

Congrats, nyfilmfest! I did my BFA at Concordia, and sat in on a film studies PhD seminar last term (I'm currently attending that other Anglo Montreal school). I was accepted yesterday to the Humanities PhD, but I won't be attending. If you have questions, I might be able to answer them!

Edited by Aubergine