To answer your original question, there is certainly less pressure to have a demonstrable research interest when applying to a terminal MA program. I know that I didn't express focused research intentions (though I did my best to figure things out by the time I began classes, so my course work could be more focused and build toward something), and I still got into both of the programs that I applied to, despite a Business background.

Regarding your general anxiety, it's understandable, but I didn't hear from my programs until late March / early April... MA programs generally are much slower to notify.

You're correct that at a PhD level, you are absolutely expected to have targeted research interests. At your level, not so much.

Thanks, nyfilmfest! That's very helpful!

Any word on Iowa? Usually they have notified people by this date, but this year I have absolutely no inkling. Has anyone heard anything?

Syracuse & UT Austin MA acceptances today - first responses I've heard.

I wasn't fully aware of how anxious I was about this whole process until the weight of 'I'm not going to get in anywhere' was lifted. Whew!

Congrats apk0021 and CU2011! Are either of you considering attending UT's recruit days?

Hi friends,

Long-time reader late joining the discussion.

For what it's worth I emailed the grad coordinator at Harvard almost a week ago. I asked whether (as I assume) all acceptances and any waitlisters have been notified. I haven't heard anything back but I'll let you know if I do.

Also, have any other Yale applicants not heard back? I saw American Studies (my other dept) sent out a blast of rejections yesterday, including one AmSt/FilmSt. I'm cautiously hopeful that no news is good news, and I'm wondering if anyone in in the same boat.

Edited by elbow2332

Well hey there, we have many overlaps (Harvard, Yale, Brown, Berkeley).

I have not heard anything from Emily either, but we have had one admit posted for FVS. I am assuming that that was the sole admit from GradCafe, allowing the possibility for non-GC admits. Would not be surprised at all if they've only offered admissions to 1-2 people. Going by past patterns, Harvard tends to call or email their admits on a single day. Given that the sole Harvard FVS admit was quite some days ago, I've tentatively written that off my list.

Yale (nyfilmfest can clarify here, perhaps) is doing interviews this year, and I have not heard anything for Comp. Lit. + Film. nyfilmfest had mentioned that an acquaintance of his had gone for a Yale interview, Film+Slavic. I'm assuming Yale's done with their interviews too, but like you, I'm ready to party if in fact they're still doing their stuff. For what it's worth, I haven't had a response from Dudley Andrew (I'd sent a polite inquiry around Feb 20-23).

Congratulations on your Berkeley admit! You're the second that I know of on this forum.

HI guys,

Congrats to all the UT admits for MA. I'll be at the visitors weekend (I'm trying to plan a trip to Emory earlier in that week, and hopefully will hear back from Madison and Iowa soon enough that I can plan that as well).

I also heard from Pittsburgh's English MA, through an informal email from the assistant grad advisor. Don't know if anyone else applied to that but thought I'd put the word out there.

So does this mean they have sent out decisions? My status is still 'pending' in my MyUW profile...

For the Media and Cultural Studies program at Wisconsin, I have been told that they have notified all of the people that they plan to admit.

As a side note, I have been told by someone at UCSB that they may admit a couple more after they figure out the funding details for the students that they have already admitted.

Edited by ci1717

Hi alh,

Did you receive your decision by postal mail, or online? In any case, I can vouch very strongly for the MAPH especially in Cinema and Media Studies. Like you, I was redirected to MAPH from the CMS PhD (this was in 2009-10 when I applied directly out of undergraduate with a very unimpressive background). MAPH really helped me develop a solid foundation for graduate work, and was very helpful in shaping my future goals. Although this year looks like a possible bust for me in terms of admissions, I credit MAPH with helping me craft a far stronger application than I could ever have done alone. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about it. It's a tough decision because of the funding, but if you can pull it off, it is absolutely worth it.

Got my acceptance to the BU MFA in Film and Television studies with a 10k scholarship. Anyone else hear from them today? Think I'm sticking with UT though. Also got my official rejection from UW-Madison today as well.

How did you hear about Madison? My status on the website is still pending. Not hopeful (and okay with that) but curious.

Anyone know what's up with Iowa? They are taking forever according to past year history.

How did you hear about Madison? My status on the website is still pending. Not hopeful (and okay with that) but curious.

Anyone know what's up with Iowa? They are taking forever according to past year history.

I was able to speak to one of the department staff in CCL. According to her, deliberations are still ongoing, but decisions are expected within a week or two at most. They are indeed experiencing a delay compared to past results.

@Swagato thanks for the info! i received the application update via email. the email then redirected me to a letter on my application. though the program looks great, it is VERY expensive and unfortunately i don't have the means to pay for it (with a lot of loans). plus, i already have hella debt from undergrad. if i have specific questions, i'll definitely PM you. thanks!

Does anyone know a place to find a semi-reputable list of the application to acceptance ratios for MA programs? I know UT has theirs on their site but haven't seen any on other schools website's

I checked the results survey and a couple people posted that they were rejected by Yale by checking the website. I tried to login through the applyyourself app but it didn't seem to have anything about the decision. I'm not expecting good news, but I'd just like to know and move on. Is there someone who used the website to check the decision? Also, are people who are applying to the dual program with Film Studies finding out at different dates? I applied in conjunction with the EALL dept. I've noticed in results that people in African American Studies in conjunction with Film already know, i think. Thanks for any clarifications you might have.

Yale's FS committee and the associated department meet at different times, so results come out at different times. I have been checking via the application platform fairly regularly, but so far there is no update for Comp. Lit. + FS. There is, however, one odd result posted on March 8th, apparently. A waitlist for Comp Lit+FS, via website.

My impression was that Yale's already done with their initial interviews, and that's as far as I know.