Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Ohhhh gotcha, snes! :) And yeah, I am still reeling from Chicago's acceptance as well! Never thought it would really happen.

I don't know about when Columbia will REALLY get back to us, but that was the unofficial message I got... might only be for music theory?

Judging for past years' stats on the results survey, it seems that Columbia indeed takes its time. The accepts seem to come in from late Feb. through early March, and the denies in mid March.

Chicago is a department that have tended in the past to roll out its admits early - and this year that trend has obviously held up. Stanford, though, seems to be average on the spectrum, but this year made their decisions super early as well. The next-up schools appear to be CUNY and Princeton in early February, if past years' results are any indication.

BTW - Happy February everyone! The end is near...haha

Thanks for the clarification regarding Cornell, snes! I made a little chart of when we might hear from various schools based on last year's results (though Stanford and Berkeley have notified us much earlier than they did last year):

Michigan - approx 3 Feb

Yale - approx 4 Feb for interviews, approx 17 Feb for results

Cornell - approx 8 Feb

Princeton - approx 10 Feb

Penn - approx 15 Feb

Harvard - approx 19 Feb

Columbia - approx 24 Feb

This makes me feel marginally better, though I am still on pins and needles all day long!

yep, mine's in all caps too, hahaha. Last year they mailed rejection letters on Feb 8th, so their decisions are not too long from now!

congrats purpledinosaur!

Yeah, I'm interested to hear back from Yale and Texas. Nice to know that at least Yale probably won't be too long of a wait to find out about interviews. Based on the ridiculousness that is the Texas application system (felt like their were 18 different forms and places to send things for them, not to mention one of their pages is dedicated to applications for study of "voila"), I'm not really expecting an expedient response.

Any composers apply to Rutgers or Temple? I submitted my apps back in November after meeting with professors at both schools and still haven't heard anything. (The dept. admin. at Temple wrote me 10 days ago saying, "The faculty will begin reviewing files next week and will be in contact regarding any outstanding items.") I'm convinced that the fact I haven't heard is a bad sign.

I can say that McGill's composition admission committee won't be meeting until later this week or early next, for those who may have applied there.

Congrats to those of you who've already been admitted!

Purpledinosaur, given your profile and the schools in your sig, I think that I know you (cue the stalker music). If the phrase "mirror, mirror on my floor" has a special significance for you, I think that'll settle it.

Edited by Compoe

Compoe - are you a current McGill composition grad student? If so - expect some length PMs in your future! :)

Indeed, I am. I can't promise in-depth responses for the next couple of weeks, as my Master's thesis is being performed quite soon and I'm spending all of my time working on the electronic sound files for it. That said, feel free to get in touch and we can go from there.