Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Ok, I think it's high time we get this upcoming admissions season started! I'll be doing PhD/DMA in composition myself. Don't know where yet, but probably will include perennial favorites Princeton, NYU GSAS and the like.

Hi all :)

I'm applying for a PhD in neuroscience. Applying to 6-10 schools. I'm now preparing to retake the general GRE test and take a subject GRE in biology. I've also contacted several current students studying at programs where I'd like to apply. I'll start e-mailing POI's very soon!

Any neuroscience applicants out there?

Oh whoops did my noob'ness show through? I meant to put this thread in the Music forum - that's what it seems I did...?

Nah....from what I can see, this is in the music forum!

I'm applying for Musicology. I applied last year and FAILED! Well, I got waitlisted (then rejected) at one school, and accepted to a Master's that was too expensive. I'm currently researching professors at schools to contact in September.

oops! sorry! then this is my mistake :rolleyes:

Good luck all of you in your applications!

Well, good luck to you too! If I weren't shackled to music by the weird power it has over me, I'd definitely be in neuroscience. :-P

• 3 weeks later...

So, then, any Music people still out there? I'm currently going nuts. You'd think I'd be more levelheaded and clear-minded about what I'm doing, since this is now my second go-around. But I'm not.

Anybody else out there interested in music theory and multimedia or cognitive neuroscience and music? Would love to know what programs you're looking at.

• 4 weeks later...

hi all - just wanted to plug my school, the University of Florida. We are a little off the radar for most people, but starting to change that! Cheap application fee ($35 i think), very good fellowships/assistantships (up to $16k) in comp/theory and musicology. And it never gets cold... feel free to email me for warts-and-all info: adamscottneal at gmail.

http://www.arts.ufl.edu/welcome/music/ <== music dept. website

http://www.arts.ufl.edu/composition <=== composition website

(there is a musicology website but it's several years out of date!)

good luck to you all!

Hi guys! While it is nice to see familiar "faces," I'm sorry we're meeting again on the application forum. I can't believe I have to go through this process again! The school that accepted me wouldn't defer for a research grant...

I'm picking a slighty different round of schools this time. I'm on the fence about UT Austin. Anyone know something about their musicology program or its funding?

Other schools:

McGill

Maryland

IU

possibly Cornell?

I don't know, but it is a pretty competitive school for composition. Maybe see if their website has a list of grad students and write them privately to ask how the funding is? Good luck!

*angry eyebrows*

^I appreciate that! I'm also revamping everything.

The neuroscience route sounds pretty cool. How were you linking your plan of study with ethno last year? My research has a lot of crossover, but I'm trying to stay in the musicology realm. I'm trying to find a program that lets me dabble in both fields. The schools I was looking at last year told me to apply for ethno, but I have no previous experience in that field...so I didn't get in.

I'm currently in Poland researching Polish Catholic music that was written during the Holocaust. Some of it is folk music, while some of it is more traditional church music. I had a hard time finding a school that was interested in this topic, let alone a potential advisor. I'm a bit worried that I'm hurting my chances by researching something so uncommon and specific. I'm trying to combine it with my interest in early music by studying Polish medieval and Renaissance music while I'm here.

On another topic; how does one go about interviews when they are abroad? Is skype considered unprofessional? I can't fly to the states for interviews as I have a limited number of days that I can spend outside of this country.

^I appreciate that! I'm also revamping everything.

The neuroscience route sounds pretty cool. How were you linking your plan of study with ethno last year? My research has a lot of crossover, but I'm trying to stay in the musicology realm. I'm trying to find a program that lets me dabble in both fields. The schools I was looking at last year told me to apply for ethno, but I have no previous experience in that field...so I didn't get in.

I'm currently in Poland researching Polish Catholic music that was written during the Holocaust. Some of it is folk music, while some of it is more traditional church music. I had a hard time finding a school that was interested in this topic, let alone a potential advisor. I'm a bit worried that I'm hurting my chances by researching something so uncommon and specific. I'm trying to combine it with my interest in early music by studying Polish medieval and Renaissance music while I'm here.

On another topic; how does one go about interviews when they are abroad? Is skype considered unprofessional? I can't fly to the states for interviews as I have a limited number of days that I can spend outside of this country.

My ethno route was because I wanted to (and still want to) study popular music culture in forms of dance/club music, and gaming culture (video game concerts being common). But I realized my main interest is pretty much theory/analysis, with a slice of perception/cognition.

Let me also say I completely understand the plight of trying to find schools/profs who might be appropriate for my current topic, which is music in video games. It's a lot different from film music, but finding profs interested in visual media was a start. Thankfully, emailing the profs at tons of schools throughout September was really helpful.

I think it's GREAT to have an uncommon and specific topic, but I think the key is to show you have an open mind, eager to assimilate what the school and the professors have to offer.

AND Skype interviews are common, or so I'm told!

Are you currently researching for your master's? And who else is going into PhD programs with a master's already? I only have a bachelor's and I'm worried I'm just not strong enough yet. So I'm applying for a Music Theory master's at Temple, I think, since it's really close to home, but I don't know much about the program yet.

I will have a Masters. (But since I'm in composition, a not a more research oriented field like the "-ology's", haha, our credentials matter way less than our portfolio.

Temple has a strong music performance and music education program, so I would think as a theorist there, it shouldn't be too bad an environment.

Video game music, I now know why you are looking at Cornell ;)

Alas, I only have a Bachelor's. I'm trying to get into a PhD program, even if it is one that awards a Masters along the way. I know what I want to do, and I have research experience, so I'm going to attempt for a PhD!

I feel very backwards as I seem to be doing my dissertation research before I've even started a program... I started this project as an undergrad for an honors thesis two years ago. I applied for a Fulbright to Poland because I didn't have the resources back in the states to finish it. Snes, I feel like I took your grad school approach to this project. When I found the manuscripts I just thought "Oh cool! something no one has studied before! I'll make a performance edition. la la la this will be fun!" Fast-forward and I'm suddenly in Poland eating mushroom flavored chips...

Okay, ya'll sound like really awesome candidates. I suppose I was lucky to have had research/writing experience in undergrad and conference experience soon after, but I'm finding it reaaaaaaaaally difficult to do anything academic with no attachment to a school anymore. ESPECIALLY because I can't afford to buy all the fancy articles I need to read. (I'm pretty sure my local library doesn't know what musicology is.)

Here's my rant and rave of the day.

Rave: every school except Temple has a really easy online recommendation system (via ApplyYourself, Embark, or whatever Cornell is using)

Rant: Temple!!! Y u b so hard! It's bad enough I have to ask my recommenders to fill out twelve forms.

snes - I'm curious about Temple. What about the program attracts you? I'm considering it myself as well (though for DMA composition instead of musicology)

Temple has a terminal Music Theory master's, and since I don't have a master's yet, that might be my best chance at admission this round. They don't have a PhD although they do have the DMA. All I really know is that they're good at performance, but an undergrad advisor did say it has good theory faculty.

(also...it's very close to home, making things a lot cheaper, which is the only way I would do a terminal master's since they're not funded)

• 2 weeks later...

The year really is flying by... I've settled on eight schools, but may add a ninth. I think it's going to come down to the wire on these applications, as one of my professors is reading an application essay of mine and probably won't get it back to me before he gets back from a conference in the States around 14 Nov or so... Stressful!

How is everyone's applications coming along?

I'm doing 11 with most if not all being extraordinarily competitive. The possibility of being universally rejected at that many this year shoots my anxiety level up to the stratosphere. Also, yeah, EXPENSIVE. My one waitlist is the only thing I'm holding on to that I COULD be qualified, considering I haven't changed much in one year other than doing a better editing and selection of my writing samples and a much better Statement of Purpose.

Anyway, I spent October figuring out and finalizing my recommendation providers, requesting GRE and transcript sendage, and writing a generic SoP. Now I'm really into the meat of my two writing samples, and find I'm pretty much rewriting one of them. I'll hopefully be done those two soon and then I'll be in a good place to spend the rest of November preparing and individualizing the SoPs that are due in December.

Just writing that out helps with my brain. I want to hear where everyone else is at w/ apps, too! We need more music people in this forum!

Has anybody reading this ever applied / is applying to McGill? It's asking my referees to email letter directly to admissions (odd) and also nothing is updating on my MINERVA tracking page.