Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

hey amadeus122! Do you know if UCLA interviews all applicants or just comp? I know that composition and musicology are in different "departments" but who knows...

Good luck on your interviews/auditions!!

@becca - I think video, right? I'm not speaking from experience though.

Northwestern interviews are out! I'm especially over the moon because the university pays for travel, hotel, and food even for us lowly humanities kids!

I've never interviewed before! I'm currently stalking other humanities forums on here to find tips. I'm not composition so I'm assuming our interviews will be different in a lot of ways, but I'm going to prepare like a job interview -- know how to present myself and my scholarly interests intelligently and concisely (I tend to ramble), read and reread faculty work, and bring a ton of questions.

Good luck Becca and let us know how it goes! (I'm really curious because I've never done skype except with my friend, once)

Edited by snes

Happy New Year to all :) Today is Chinese Lunar New Year's Eve(I am from China), and this year is the year of Dragon! I am so suprised to received a wish card from Binghamton University this morning, it is like they sent all to the applicants from Asia. I'm so moved :lol:

Wish all good luck and get good offers!

Share to everybody:

yr-dragon-card2.jpg

Looks like rejections (pre-screening denies) from the Yale School of Music (MM/DMA's) have started to be released. Today - 1/23 - is the date by which audition/interview notifications are sent out to Yale SOM applicants. Any news on the musicology front from the Yale U. department of music?

Edited by fall2012musiccomp

I've been lurking this forum from behind the scenes for quite some time and anxiousness eventually got the better of me. So I created an account to vent like you guys have. Plus, I feel there's a need for a potential ethnomusicologist amongst the Theory, Musicology, and Composition regular-posters.

Just because you guys probably want to know, I applied at: Harvard, UPenn, Chicago, UW-Madison, UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Toronto, and British Columbia.

The next three weeks are going to be heck, as this is the period I'll hear from all of these schools. So it's good to join people sharing my anxious feelings. haha

Edited by eum-ag

Welcome to the party, eum-ag :)

It's certainly great to have an ethnomusicologist among us. What is your prospective area of focus? I like your list of schools. Like me, you also have a bunch of geographic locations covered! New England, Pacific Northwest, Southern California, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, and Southeastern Canada. (Well, I didn't apply to anywhere in the PNW actually, but every one of the other regions I've managed to cover it!)

haha. I didn't really notice the eclectic regionality of my school list. Honestly I wasn't bound by location; these just happen to be the schools where I feel my research interests would fit best. I'm sure each location would surely be exciting to live in. I guess I'll see!

As for my area of focus, I do my research primarily on East Asian popular music. Specifically, I'm more interested in the social side of music rather than the actual music itself (for we can all agree that modern pop music isn't necessarily the most interesting thing in the world musicality-wise). So I focus my research around social theory, postmodernism, globalization, class division, gender studies, identity, and film studies.

So what composition techniques or styles do you specialize in?

Sounds great, eum-ag. I know that though it is a hard admit, UCLA for one is great for socio-musicology studies, particularly involving popular musics (but obviously you already knew that, haha!). As for me, I write vocal and instrumental music that is a mix of tonal and atonal harmonic approaches, with an increasing interest in electroacoustic music.

A hard admit? I sense either some kind of animosity towards the place. haha But I do agree, UCLA is among the best, if not the best, for socio-musicology. I'd be more than honored if my application was considered by them.

Welcome eum-ag! Nice to have an ethno person here this round. I have a slice of ethno in my interests and I was also attracted to UCLA's program (even their straight-up musicology program emphasizes the social/human aspect of music-making). UCLA is a hard admit because it is hard to get into! And the recent NRC rankings put it at #1 so the competition is intense, I'm sure. Good luck as we approach February!!

Aye. I completely misinterpreted "hard admit." I read it as if @fall2012musiccomp had a grudge against UCLA, so it was a hard admit to say something positive about it. Completely my bad. haha

But I do agree that it is incredibly difficult to be admitted into, as the NRC rankings have stated. I guess we'll all see what happens.

Edited by eum-ag

LOL yes - obviously I meant admit as an admission of entry, not an admission of a fact/opinion, haha. Clearly, UCLA is a great place to study music as a scholarly field on the graduate level....though, if you trust NRC rankings, not quite as good as studying folklore at IU-B :)

PS - congrats music people - this thread has finally attained "hot" status.

Edited by fall2012musiccomp

The timing was indeed timely considering the conversation. Luckily that wasn't me. I'm actually not sure if there is any correlation between when the letters of ethnomusicology and musicology from UCLA are sent out as they are separate departments. I'll keep on waiting.