Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

thanks guys! And it's definitely true that other subdisciplines can have wildly different timelines since a whole different set of professors has to schedule their reviews. And it's still early. I'm frankly surprised to have heard anything before February!! I'm crossing my fingers for everyone. I see a UC-Davis acceptance so congrats to whoever got that one!!

Good luck and have fun transcribing eum-ag! I love gamelan music but I do not know if I would love to transcribe it. :P

(haha I pronounce my own name like the letters - s-n-e-s, as in super nintendo entertainment system, because I signed up on gradcafe when I was writing a paper about the audio technology of that particular machines. But, I kinda like "sneeze" too because I have mega allergies!! hahaha)

this is the first time in two years the northeast hasn't been bombarded with 20+ inches of snow every weekend, that's for sure. (Last year I told myself that's why no one was getting back to me in February!! haha)

Does anyone else feel like they're telling us really early this year? I wonder if other schools will follow suit, or wait even as late as March.

It does seem awfully early. It's also possible that some programs are contacting a few of their top applicants early in hopes of pinning them down, and contacting those lower on the list after doing some financial math and perhaps hearing from these people. I suspect this because I got an admit in late March last year, and was told it had taken them so long because of they weren't sure how much money they could afford to offer me. Perhaps I was high on some unofficial waitlist for admissions or funding.

Hi there!

I'm new to the thread and in response to snes, yes the Berkeley ethno acceptance was me. Congrats to all of you on your good news also.

I think this year notices have gone out pretty early. I think ethno is the only field that is taking a while.

Congrats ethnogirl on your acceptance to the ever-competitive Berkeley. It seems like it's not in my cards to be going there (granted I haven't been formally rejected as of yet), so I'm definitely jealous. haha If I may ask what your research interests are?

Well now my pins and needles are somewhat softened for the meantime knowing that ethno is taking a while overall. Granted I'm sure this feeling will be only short-lived. haha

I'm getting a little nervous after seeing the results survey and not having heard anything yet except from the University of Miami!

I will say that having one in the bag (with an unofficial notice of an assistantship) makes this a little more bearable.

Haha dharma, talk about waiting it out...composers are all anxious to hear back after musicologists have started to be notified for about a week. But, it makes sense I suppose, since they need to take the extra time to go through portfolios and recordings. Somebody got denied from Stanford (who has been piling out the notifications today!) for composition, which perhaps means that composition news are finally beginning to trickle out...

Yeah, I felt like my January 26 acceptance was way early. While emailing back and forth about a missing part of my application with a prof at Columbia, she mentioned that they wouldn't get back to people until March. Seems like a crazy big gap, no?!

Yeah, I felt like my January 26 acceptance was way early. While emailing back and forth about a missing part of my application with a prof at Columbia, she mentioned that they wouldn't get back to people until March. Seems like a crazy big gap, no?!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt? Don't they interview?

I think I was unclear: the acceptance was to Chicago, not Columbia! Sorry bout that. But yeah, I was a little shocked that Chicago didn't even interview me... Just straight up accepted me. Well, via email, so a little unofficial, but official letter should be coming soon.

Welcome to the Music forum, Barney! Congrats on Chicago! Are you interviewing at CUNY? They interview all their composition finalists - but I'm not sure about theory or musicology.

Haha dharma, talk about waiting it out...composers are all anxious to hear back after musicologists have started to be notified for about a week. But, it makes sense I suppose, since they need to take the extra time to go through portfolios and recordings. Somebody got denied from Stanford (who has been piling out the notifications today!) for composition, which perhaps means that composition news are finally beginning to trickle out...

yeah, me either...got email from Stanford today.ToT

Sorry purpledinosaur, my incredulousness was directed at Columbia's claim to get back to us in March, because I thought they did interviews. I also got accepted to Chicago on the 26th!!! (still reeling)

re: Cornell, I forgot to say that the admin got back to me to say to ignore the "incomplete" status. They're under review and if they have anything they need from you, they'll let you know.

Edited by snes