Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

So, my top program's website won't let me fill out the fellowship application because "the deadline has passed" even though the deadline is officially tomorrow night. Isn't that swell? This would be the saddest possible reason to take another year off...

The danger of leaving things to the last minute: Penn's app allows for uploading of a writing sample in one spot, 500 kb limit. They want two writing samples, and the process of combining two writing samples to somehow be less than 500 kb involved removing all images, shrinking transcriptions to tiny tiny size, going back to times new roman from garamond, then UNEMBEDDING the fonts from the PDF document, changing everything to grayscale even though I thought it already was, and REMOVING my bibliographies, and finally, desperately, going to 1.5-spaced font. BARELY made the cut.

also JSK did they fix the problem in time?

Edited by snes

I thought that the Penn app allowed a writing sample (2 combined, rather) of 2.5 KB... I managed to squeeze my ~50 pages into 2.3 KB, magically...

what what what what. (I'm assuming you actually mean mb not kb)

This is what I saw:

"Beginning Fall 2010, we will begin accepting writing samples online that do not exceed 500 kbs. "

And I did try to submit something around 700 kb and it didn't let me.

Edited by snes

I think that's right, too, but then I'm confused as to why it still says "Application status: Incomplete." They acknowledged receipt of my GRE scores, references, application fee, and transcript (not official) ... I don't know what I've missed!

I think that's right, too, but then I'm confused as to why it still says "Application status: Incomplete." They acknowledged receipt of my GRE scores, references, application fee, and transcript (not official) ... I don't know what I've missed!

Hmm. When did you submit? Maybe it needs a physical person to say "wait, this IS complete" like my Northwestern App which was marked as Incomplete for a while because they didn't have TOEFL scores that I never took because I'm not international.

My Penn app obviously says incomplete because I just applied yesterday and they haven't noted that they received my GRE scores, but hopefully they'll update that soon and I'll see if mine also still says "Incomplete"

Apparently Embark screwed my application up for a specific reason, but it's all fine now.

Often times applications don't log mailed received supplemental materials for days or weeks afterwards. I don't think you should be too concerned, Karajan, this same sort of thing has happened to me before.

I hate the limits too. I had to squeeze 50 pages (including a musical score) into 1 Mb for my Davis application the other day. Luckily the system didn't mind that I was about 100 kb over!

Guys, I ran into file size limits with two universities. I just called the grad admissions departments and asked permission to email my supplemental materials as PDF documents. Size limits are ridiculous for things like scores or scholarly essays.

Also, I turned in my applications (including the GRE scores, transcripts, etc) in mid-November and one of the schools still says my application is incomplete. I gave them a call and they confirmed that they take a while to update the online application status.

The moral of the story is that you shouldn't worry. Having been through this before I can tell you that grad admissions departments take weeks (if not months) to process materials.

You're all talented, bright individuals. Take a breath!

Working on NYU right now. Christmas music is on in an attempt to get into the season. I even have an ugly Christmas sweater on. Well hello there, Embark! Missed you from last year. Do you like my sweater? No, please don't...not again...ugh, spontaneous log-out. Yay.

My SoP. Critique for me please?

"NYU is the school for me. At NYU, I'd like to study the history of the celebratory nature of bells, especially jingle bells. I'd also like to study the evolution of the Mannheim Rocket to the Mannheim Steamroller. In conclusion, summarily, did you know I say your name like this sometimes?: Nyoo."

Hmm. When did you submit? Maybe it needs a physical person to say "wait, this IS complete" like my Northwestern App which was marked as Incomplete for a while because they didn't have TOEFL scores that I never took because I'm not international.

My Penn app obviously says incomplete because I just applied yesterday and they haven't noted that they received my GRE scores, but hopefully they'll update that soon and I'll see if mine also still says "Incomplete"

Hey, Is your Penn app "incomplete"? Mine still is, apparently...

I don't know. I've been trolling the history of music interviews on the results board but there's not much data. It's never clear which schools even interview, either.