Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Has anybody reading this ever applied / is applying to McGill? It's asking my referees to email letter directly to admissions (odd) and also nothing is updating on my MINERVA tracking page.

I'm having the same problem. The admission department told me to have my referees send it directly, just like what you are doing.

I just submitted my last application for musicology today! All that I have left to do is submit one last transcript request form tomorrow morning and then it is all out of my hands.

Random question by the way: how common is it for schools to interview you for an assistantship before an admissions decision has been made?

Do musicology programs tend to interview applicants before deciding to admit them (i.e. not for an assistantship but actually for admissions purposes)?

A lot of them don't. I wasn't interviewed anywhere last year, and while maybe it could have been because I was not in the final cut, I remember reading on their websites specifically than they didn't require an interview as part of the admissions process. But it DOES seem that in some cases you can request to be interviewed, which definitely confuses me a little bit. Columbia at least is one such school.

Most places don't interview - it seems more common with schools attached to conservatories (where the performance applicants audition as well). Some programs (like Princeton) encourage students to visit before they apply, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.

I've been lurking on this form for a while. I have a masters in music theory and composition and I'm applying for Ph.D. programs across the country. I sent off my applications about three weeks ago. I applied to 9 schools, and I'm not at all confident after reading other people's experiences!

Haha chrisp, anyone who already has a master's makes me feel WAY not confident.

I got two in for Dec. 1st (on Dec 1st, as that is how I slowly roll), 10 more to go. Dec. 15th is next for me too! Trying not to cry about what I now think are application-breaking writing samples. At least my Statements of Purpose are shaping out to be WAYYYYYY better than last year's.

fall2012musiccomp, I'm somewhat in love with Stanford and UC San Diego (UCSD). I also applied to UC Santa Cruz (UCSC), NYU, Boston U, Cornell, Washington U in Seattle, Harvard, and U Chicago.

Edit:

Snes, don't lose your confidence. Not that it helps, but I'm looking at composition with a musicology minor so we have some overlap. Are you applying for a masters degree or a Ph.D.?

Edited by chrisp

Snes, don't lose your confidence. Not that it helps, but I'm looking at composition with a musicology minor so we have some overlap. Are you applying for a masters degree or a Ph.D.?

PhD (with the idea of getting the master's en-route, although I am applying to a terminal master's as well. I already have a few years of research experience and conference experience but I still realize I'm at a preparatory disadvantage).

Anyway, good luck!!!

snes, don't be surprised if a Ph.D. program admits you to their masters program instead. That's fairly common. Also, programs with a terminal masters might be able to provide their masters students with more funding. Just something to think about.

fall2012musiccomp, best of luck to you. I'll buy you a beer if we wind up going to the same institution.

snes, don't be surprised if a Ph.D. program admits you to their masters program instead. That's fairly common. Also, programs with a terminal masters might be able to provide their masters students with more funding. Just something to think about.

It certainly confuses me because most of the programs I'm applying to do not have terminal master's programs, only admitting those whose end goal is the PhD.

I would love to hear some of the compositions of the members replying on this thread. I have so much to learn and I learn so much by hearing fellow young or youngish composers. If you would like to hear any of my works, my website is www.rebeccakephart.com.

Did anyone else apply to Duke? In my grand Excel spreadsheet I erroneously put Dec. 31st as the deadline instead of the 8th (the 31st being the final but really not preferred deadline). I started casually working on my application on December 7th and realized around midnight. Cue mad scramble! At least I realized with 36 hours to spare.

I'm so glad I got everything turned in during November, but Duke keeps sending me application status updates that just show I have everything turned in... I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the first one!

I'm guessing February is when admissions decisions should start rolling in?

Hey everyone!

I'm applying for PhD programs in musicology right now, too, so I thought I'd join the party on this thread. I've already gotten two in for Dec. 1 deadlines, one for a Dec. 12 deadline, and I'm mailing my Dec. 15 (McGill) supplemental documents off tomorrow via XpressPost.

Hope everyone is managing to stay calm, and sleep un-fitfully!