Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Do departments fly out their applicants to these interviews, or are they required to do so on their own?

Does anybody know if CUNY interviews for comp?

according to the GradCafe forum homepage, happy birthday to Karajan! Are you really only 21?

I'm not sure, but I don't think most humanities programs have enough money to fly their applicants :oIN THIS ECONOMY :( mostly because I've heard of a lot of people opting for the phone or skype interview.

Some of the Ivies and UCs fly out the PhD applicants they admit, I believe.

I think it's really crummy to expect people to fly out for an interview on their own dime when a skype interview should suffice. I could be biased though because I live nowhere near any interesting programs.

according to the GradCafe forum homepage, happy birthday to Karajan! Are you really only 21?

I'm not sure, but I don't think most humanities programs have enough money to fly their applicants :oIN THIS ECONOMY :( mostly because I've heard of a lot of people opting for the phone or skype interview.

Thanks! And yes, I'm 21 :)

I think many of the programs fly out students they've admitted, but don't expect people to pay to fly out for interviews; it would be rubbish if they did though!

I agree it would be lame indeed if we were required to fly out to interview.

However, that's what performance applicants do for their auditions. And they're not expected to receive any travel aid, 99% of the time.

But on the other hand, at least in their field, the audition is understood to be part of the process, and is clearly laid out as a requirement from the start. In musicology, I suppose it is more ambiguous.

I have a question for you guys. One of my professors told me that some schools will 'strategically reject' people they think are going to attend a different school, and those students sometimes get stuck because all the schools they applied to think this and then they end up not getting in anywhere. Have you heard this? Makes me a little bit freaked out.

I have a question for you guys. One of my professors told me that some schools will 'strategically reject' people they think are going to attend a different school, and those students sometimes get stuck because all the schools they applied to think this and then they end up not getting in anywhere. Have you heard this? Makes me a little bit freaked out.

I've heard that more for undergrad admissions, and I pray it isn't true for graduate admissions. It's so much about fit and other weird non-quantifiable factors, that it's hard to say "Oh this applicant will deffo get accepted to Harvard, why should we even offer him anything?" AND there really are no safety schools anyway. (Also yes, professors say "deffo" now).

I HAVE heard of programs informally contacting the very best applicants ASAP to nab them up quick, though. That's why waiting is the worst.

Well, there's no doubt that faculty exchange notes on their applicants with their colleagues at other universities. The music academia world is so small, that everybody knows everybody, that the topic of applicants and recruiting will naturally come up during everyday conversation.

Schools have limited funds available, so they have to be strategic when offering their places. I don't think I'm cynical enough to believe that schools will deliberately reject qualified candidates in order to make them more accurate in their yield predictions, but who knows?

Now, judging from past survey responses here at Gradcafe - obviously it's true that the institutions have their own internal waitlist process, which means they accept the ones they really want early, and if they hear back a No, they move on to the next person, before ultimately sending out a mass official rejection towards their officially promised dates of mid/late March.

That's why, I agree, that waiting blows!

Good luck all! At this point, it's all out of our hands, so sit back and here's to hoping it turns out well for everyone!

A faculty member told me once to try and remember that, in a way, this application process is competitive for the graduate schools as well as us. I was told to try and think of this issue in the best way possible: if you look particularly attractive to a program, and they see where you are applying (one or two schools didn't even ask me), it could actually play to your advantage. These schools want to snatch up the best scholars they can!

Hi all :) I'm new here, apply to composition(MM) 2012 fall.

I failed last year, since my undergraduate major is sociology(seems so far away from music), it costs much more time for me to prepare my portfolio. Now I have submit all the applications, hope to get a good result this year.

Good luck all!

Why are you still incomplete, Penn? Why? What did I do to wrong you?

Same here.

Also, if anyone applied to Columbia and is wondering why their App status PDF hasn't been populated with any information yet, it's because they got a ton of applications this year (is any year not a record-setting one?) and they're behind on doing that.

A general admissions officer at Columbia told me that info, and it seemed she meant all of GSAS. I'm hoping (in vain, no doubt) that music is having a dry spell this year. :P

Also @Karajan and whoever else was wondering, I just heard back from Penn that my application is complete. And, they changed it to "Completed" on ApplyYourself after I inquired.

And yay that we have more music people finding this forum!

Edited by snes

Ok, good to know. I've inquired, too, and hopefully they'll change my status soon as well. Thanks for the update!

Also @Karajan and whoever else was wondering, I just heard back from Penn that my application is complete. And, they changed it to "Completed" on ApplyYourself after I inquired.

And yay that we have more music people finding this forum!