Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

I just finished my 13th (and final) application this week! So excited to be done! Now the wait...

Thanks for all the support, Grad Cafe!!

13?!?!? How did you stay sane? Man you are a better person than I am b/c I would probably have given up after 8 or just said eff it after all 13 were done. I would be very bitter either way.

I think a lot of people on the boards have emailed about whether invitations have been sent out - as long as you're polite and don't nag, I don't see why it would be a problem.

I've only applied to one program this season (long story why) and I just got back from their interview weekend - I do NOT know how to deal with the wait right now. Uuuuughhhhhhh

Thanks for your advice, I just emailed the grad program contact. I hope you hear something back soon for your program! :)

13?!?!? How did you stay sane? Man you are a better person than I am b/c I would probably have given up after 8 or just said eff it after all 13 were done. I would be very bitter either way.

It was pretty tough, but I figured I already had the LORs sent to the programs, might at well finish the applications! Plus, I really like all the programs I applied to, so hopefully I can get in to one of them. **Crosses fingers**

I'm also not sure how sane I stayed... :blink:

It was pretty tough, but I figured I already had the LORs sent to the programs, might at well finish the applications! Plus, I really like all the programs I applied to, so hopefully I can get in to one of them. **Crosses fingers**

I'm also not sure how sane I stayed... :blink:

Well my proverbial cap is def. doffed! As for getting into one, I'm sure the #s play in your favor ... no? :)

I've applied to 10 myself and still two more to go... It wasn't easy, and I was concerned with the stuff out of my control (letters of recommendation, transcripts), but so far, most applications have gone through without any issues, albeit some minor ones... Oh I've taken up Yoga over the past year... it helped.

Oh I've taken up Yoga over the past year... it helped.

Tried that but the yoga instructor at my gym is waaaayyyy too positive. She kept telling us to let go of all of our negative energy and I was like 'But that's what sustains me and keeps me from falling into a heap on the ground sobbing hysterically!!!" So I dropped yoga and took up wine making. Now as I obsessively check my emails, spam box, and phone every 3 seconds I am becoming pleasantly intoxicated by the alcoholic fumes wafting off the fermenting buckets in my bedroom....

Edited by artofdescribing

I just finished my 13th (and final) application this week! So excited to be done! Now the wait...

Thanks for all the support, Grad Cafe!!

Good luck! I did 12 applications this year, contemplated the 13th as well but for superstitious reasons I think I am done after all :P

Edited by PoetryPupil

Man I feel horrible now! I only applied to 5 and even then I thought I was overdoing it. After seeing most people were doing 7-8 I wasn't too concerned, now I'm getting all jittery that I didn't apply to enough schools.

Man I feel horrible now! I only applied to 5 and even then I thought I was overdoing it. After seeing most people were doing 7-8 I wasn't too concerned, now I'm getting all jittery that I didn't apply to enough schools.

I wouldn't feel too bad. Although I applied to >10 schools - it all depends on your overall strategy. If you apply to 15 schools and that corresponds to the top 15 programs, well... You see where I'm going. If you applied to 8 over the top 30 or 40 - you probably have a greater chance of acceptance than the first example. It also depends on how good a fit the schools you applied to are, and how competitive your field is overall.

I wouldn't worry about anything yet. Positive thoughts, and the best of luck!

Justin

Edited by Jwnich1

I wouldn't feel too bad. Although I applied to >10 schools - it all depends on your overall strategy. If you apply to 15 schools and that corresponds to the top 15 programs, well... You see where I'm going. If you applied to 8 over the top 30 or 40 - you probably have a greater chance of acceptance than the first example. It also depends on how good a fit the schools you applied to are, and how competitive your field is overall.

All great points! In some ways, though, I actually think fit takes precedence over prestige when it comes to your chances; no matter how prestigious a school is, if you can effectively make the argument that your research interests and goals are perfectly suited to the program to which you are applying, that makes all the difference, I think.

No matter whether you applied to 5 schools or 50, what matters is that one acceptance that gets you into your desired program. Besides, I know I'm constantly reminding myself that SOMEONE has to get accepted!

Hello all,

Need some advice here. Because I have been obsessively checking the results board, it seems that a lot of Emory applicants from various programs are hearing back now about interviews, but no one has posted an interview request for my specific program at Emory. I know all programs don't have the same protocols/deadlines... but just reading the boards, it seems consistent that the graduate school has notified last week (programs ranging from anthropology to sociology) I am tempted to email the program and ask if they have sent out invitations yet. I am just not sure if that would be appropriate to ask. Maybe part of me doesn't want to know if I have been rejected? Advice?

UPDATE: I emailed and got a response saying that the department is still reviewing apps. So there is still hope...aka ANXIETY! ;-D

We are getting really close to when programs in my field traditionally start replying to applicants...but we're not QUITE there yet (Maybe another week, to 10 days). I've haven't been so anxious in years!

Argh. One of my acquaintances at uni got an acceptance last week to a program that I applied to. I've heard nothing. I don't know if this means I'm rejected or what. :S

Probably still to early to tell. Perhaps your acquaintance was on the top of the pile - at this point, who knows?

First, I want to let everyone know how helpful it is to read everyone's posts....makes me feel a little less like I'm going to have a stroke checking my email.

Second, I need advice as to whether all this anxiety is turning me into a terrible person: was just informed by my boyfriend that an old friend of his and her husband (both of whom I'm not crazy about) are coming for a visit this weekend. This would be nausea-inducing under normal circumstances, as this woman likes to give me passive aggressive cleaning tips and is constantly, suspiciously inquiring about the last time I washed the sheets in the guest room---but it's even worse this time because her husband is applying to grad schools as well, and has already been accepted into 8 or so top programs. We're in completely different fields, but the way these people are means that this whole weekend is going to turn into an extended celebration of his accomplishments, reviewing all the funding offers he's gotten a thousand times, etc (in fact, she already suggested to my boyfriend that he buy a bottle of champagne so we could all toast her husband). Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear and do not know if I could stomach such a weekend. Am I becoming the most petty person on earth to be dreading this so much?

Good luck to everyone :)

First, I want to let everyone know how helpful it is to read everyone's posts....makes me feel a little less like I'm going to have a stroke checking my email.

Second, I need advice as to whether all this anxiety is turning me into a terrible person: was just informed by my boyfriend that an old friend of his and her husband (both of whom I'm not crazy about) are coming for a visit this weekend. This would be nausea-inducing under normal circumstances, as this woman likes to give me passive aggressive cleaning tips and is constantly, suspiciously inquiring about the last time I washed the sheets in the guest room---but it's even worse this time because her husband is applying to grad schools as well, and has already been accepted into 8 or so top programs. We're in completely different fields, but the way these people are means that this whole weekend is going to turn into an extended celebration of his accomplishments, reviewing all the funding offers he's gotten a thousand times, etc (in fact, she already suggested to my boyfriend that he buy a bottle of champagne so we could all toast her husband). Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear and do not know if I could stomach such a weekend. Am I becoming the most petty person on earth to be dreading this so much?

First, it saddens me to read that you were "informed" by your boyfriend that his friends were coming (suggesting this was not a mutual decision). Second, you are *not* becoming the "most petty person on earth". This is a highly stressful time for anyone, not to mention adding an already tense situation to the mix. You might want to have a conversation with your boyfriend (if that option is available) about their coming and how it makes you feel.

I applied to 6 programs... I'm interviewing with one of them later this week, but haven't heard anything from the rest...

I was wondering if anybody else applying to grad schools has school age kids? If so, are you starting to worry about how they are going to handle the move/change? Are you making any plans yet?

Good luck to every one!

To balance out possibly getting rejected from another uni, I've just found out that I've been awarded a fellowship from the University of Bristol that will pay all my fees and give me a stipend. :D :D They only awarded five of these fellowships to international students, so I'm over the moon!

I wish I knew about this forum earlier in the application process! I have already submitted applications to 6 schools and have yet to hear anything back. Since finding this community yesturday, I have been obbssesively checking the results forum for programs I have applies to.... nothing yet. Of course, this adds to my other neurotic behavior of checking the application sites twice daily for updates,and checking my email all the time. Honestly I am going a little crazy, but I am over the moon to find a community that is also going crazy waiting for results.

Edited by R_Escobar

Wow. You're a saint for even sticking around for all of that! I would in no way be able to handle it. I'd either run for the hills or start breaking stuff, but I am not recommending that you do either. I would definitely pay heed to Finicky Beans' extremely important recommendation that you talk to your boyfriend and tell him how you feel about this imposition/inconvenience. Apart from that, try to be happy for the guy who got accepted? Maybe that will give you good karma!

Edited by crazedandinfused

I wouldn't feel too bad. Although I applied to >10 schools - it all depends on your overall strategy. If you apply to 15 schools and that corresponds to the top 15 programs, well... You see where I'm going. If you applied to 8 over the top 30 or 40 - you probably have a greater chance of acceptance than the first example. It also depends on how good a fit the schools you applied to are, and how competitive your field is overall. I wouldn't worry about anything yet. Positive thoughts, and the best of luck! Justin

Thanks Justin ... I always do let little things & doubt creep into my mind.

I applied to 6 programs... I'm interviewing with one of them later this week, but haven't heard anything from the rest...

I was wondering if anybody else applying to grad schools has school age kids? If so, are you starting to worry about how they are going to handle the move/change? Are you making any plans yet?

Good luck to every one!

Yes, one of my biggest concerns! I didn't apply to one program that would have been a good fit because I thought the location would be very difficult for my child.

I have one child in middle school - a little different situation from younger ones. All through the app process, I've been explaining why I'm applying and showing him pictures of the schools/cities on the internet - but also emphasizing that it's very possible we won't go this year and will try again next year. If I get in anywhere, I plan to spend a lot of time setting up some support structures for him in advance (schools, activities, pen pal) and making sure he has some tools for looking forward & backward (skype, videos, etc.).

There are also a lot of good books on moving for children, such as Dinosaurs Move. My son is a little old for this, but if I get in, I'll look for it or a similar one.

Actually, we should have a whole thread in Decisions, Decisions on children going to/in grad school.

(And for us older people, another thread on stuff like - how do you get your coursework done when you've misplaced your reading glasses? :rolleyes: )

Good luck to every one!

I applied to only five programs because I have children. I had to take into consideration the cost of living (my other half may be jobless if we move), schools, and opportunities for them as well!

Personally, I am not so worried about the kids making the transition. I think it is all about how you present the idea. My kids have visited three of the schools I applied to (we have visited family near one of the others and the last one, I am the only person who has been in the area). So far they definately have a favorite.... and fortunately it's my first choice :) Of course I have to get in..... As a child I moved often and as an adult, I appreciate the experience. I learned how to make friends in a new setting, how to be flexible, and to enjoy new experiences. These are the things I tell my kids to look foward to. My daughter complains a lot, but that is part of her personality. I hope that by moving she will see it is not as bad as she imagines it to be.

Everything has positives and negatives... my plan is to highlight all the positive aspects for the kids and be prepared for experiencing some of the negatives. I will be moving ahead of time so we can take some time to explore the new area and make it an adventure as a family. Plus, I will get on message boards as soon as I know where we are going and try to find other families in the area so the kids can meet and have friends before school starts. Of course there will be days that are not so great, but with some planning and continued discussion I think we can handle it.