MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Congrats on the interviews and acceptances! Hoping to hear something tomorrow from somewhere...please? I feel this waiting game is playing tricks on my mind, trying to forget I even applied isn't as easy as it was a few weeks ago!

congrats to all who have been accepted and asked to interview.

I'm getting my info together for TA's, RA's and PA's...Its making me crazy because if I don't get awarded anything, there is no way I'm going this year.

I'm already having a difficult time saving to cover housing for a year + moving cost ugh

any one out there in same boat. any penny saving advice? anyone else trying to steer clear of loans?

Same boat, berto... I'm dirt poor, but with two interviews scheduled, one acceptance, I'm already happy with the fact that I'm "graduate material" and if I have to wait another year, then fine by me...

But I'm hoping the school I end up at will help match me with funds; I want to avoid taking out too much in student loans; and I'm preparing myself to accept the fact that I might have to work part-time...

Edited by ol'spice

Did some asking and I found out...

For those applying to UNM, I've been told they will mail out decisions by the first week of March.

And UNT said they will notify grads by March 1st.

Tyler said 4-6 weeks, which is (I'm assuming) from the date of the application deadline (which would make it right around now). Some of you have already heard back, so I'm trying to not get my hopes up for Tyler at this point, but who knows.

I interviewed there last year. The interviews are way short. like 20 minutes. they ask you the basics: talk about one of your peices and ask you a little bit about yourself. They interview about 25, about 20 will get offers the rest get waitlised. And god help you if you get Alan Sekula on your panel. That man has no joy in his heart.

Good luck, but rest assured your're already on a very short list.

PM me and I can give you more details, I don't want to say anything that would give me away.

Does the 25 interviewees include phone interviews too? If so that is a pretty ballsy to interview that few.

Edited by michaelwebster

Does the 25 interviewees include phone interviews too? If so that is a pretty ballsy to interview that few.

Really? I've heard of places interviewing as few as 12...I'm sure it depends on the program (and how many slots they have). Was that 25 for Cal Arts or CCA? either way, those are both excellent schools so they'll get at least half of their choices sticking around. Especially after any horse trading on funding that might happen.

I thought I would finally join this discussion, I applied to Yale, USC, UCLA New Genres and VCU. I've only heard from Yale so far, has anyone heard from USC or UCLA New Genres yet?

Thanks for joining in! The earliest anyone heard from USC last year was early March (the 5th). I don't know for UCLA new genres.

Thanks for joining in! The earliest anyone heard from USC last year was early March (the 5th). I don't know for UCLA new genres.

thanks! that's kind of a relief, though I know their application was due later than most schools

Are we just now starting to get responses from SAIC?

There were a couple on Friday and Saturday. I haven't heard if that was just one wave or all of them. No word on any rejections yet either. I am still hoping my mail man has something for me.

Edited by TheZane

Really? I've heard of places interviewing as few as 12...I'm sure it depends on the program (and how many slots they have). Was that 25 for Cal Arts or CCA? either way, those are both excellent schools so they'll get at least half of their choices sticking around. Especially after any horse trading on funding that might happen.

I am just saying that alot of students show up and don't back up their portfolio very well although they looked good on paper, so taking 20 out of 25 interviewees at Calarts seems almost pointless to have an interview. I was just speculating that maybe more people were also interviewing by phone.

I thought I would finally join this discussion, I applied to Yale, USC, UCLA New Genres and VCU. I've only heard from Yale so far, has anyone heard from USC or UCLA New Genres yet?

I have an interview for UCLA media arts MFA, but though it's in the same school of arts, I'll bet the regular MFA has a different schedule...should be coming soon! Good luck

I am just saying that alot of students show up and don't back up their portfolio very well although they looked good on paper, so taking 20 out of 25 interviewees at Calarts seems almost pointless to have an interview. I was just speculating that maybe more people were also interviewing by phone.

No problem, good points!

Edited by OutWest

@ebihal

I got that too and it was just to set up a UCInetID. You'll need your student ID in order to set it up and I had a confusing conversation over the phone about trying to retrieve my student ID. You'll probably need to call and make sure to tell them you're a grad student trying to retrieve your student id. The person over the phone was obviously annoyed with all the phone calls from undergraduate applicants so make sure you say you're applying to the MFA program.

Edited by paintcutter

I got a bunch of emails about my FAFSA from Columbia, but they all specified that decisions wouldn't be made for weeks.

Yep. They're sending out regular reminders to all applicants, even the ones who filled out the FAFSA and their separate financial form weeks ago. But the deadline's today, so it should stop now. Everyone make sure you did it if you haven't--don't wait for an offer.

Edited by canarybones

@ebihal

I got that too and it was just to set up a UCInetID. You'll need your student ID in order to set it up and I had a confusing conversation over the phone about trying to retrieve my student ID. You'll probably need to call and make sure to tell them you're a grad student trying to retrieve your student id. The person over the phone was obviously annoyed with all the phone calls from undergraduate applicants so make sure you say you're applying to the MFA program.

so you're getting emails that say "we look forward to assisting you in the financial aid process and wish you the best in your academic endeavors," too?? i set up my UCInetID--i'm just confused as to why they'd start processing financial aid applications before making admissions decisions.

Anyone wishing they applied to more programs? Hindsight is 20/20, and I don't honestly know if I'd have been able to manage it, but now that I'm noticing most of my programs aren't going to be telling me anything for months the anxiety is causing me to wish I had cast more lines.

Edited by sympatico

It's so they have all of the financial info in for those who are accepted before the last minute (I feel like financial aid starts doing its thang before April 15) & so they have it for the final decisions/working out offers.

so you're getting emails that say "we look forward to assisting you in the financial aid process and wish you the best in your academic endeavors," too?? i set up my UCInetID--i'm just confused as to why they'd start processing financial aid applications before making admissions decisions.

I'm satisfied with my 4 apps, personally. Not hearing back from SAIC (although we still might? but I've given up hope for that one) made me accutely aware of how much cash I forked over for their rejection. I couldn't have afforded to double my number, although I easily could have come up with 4 more schools that I'd be honored to attend.