MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Because I track views on Vimeo, I know that SVA just looked at my portfolio for the first time yesterday. So they are moving forward with reviewing Photo & Video applications.

my site has been down for 2 days! oh no! I've just managed to get it running again!! ARGH!

I gave in called UCLA grad admissions and asked, they said absolutely 0 notifications have been sent out and they will begin notifying in the next couple of weeks.

I have a friend in the painting program and she said absolutely nothing has been finalized and everyone will hear word in the next two weeks as well.

Hi there! Long time lurker, first time poster. First, thank you so much to everyone posting - it has made the process so much more bearable!

Second - in response to the UCLA stuff - this is my third year applying. I know a lot about the UCLA program through friends. They do not send out "official" notices until March - but frankly those students who are accepted are notified by late February. Some schools seem to do that - send out the letters later - I believe it is a way to cover themselves if - say - all accepted students choose somewhere else or whatnot, as well as managing the wait list (I'm not sure when they give wait list notifications). Just my personal opinion - I don't have any definitive info on it - but unfortunately it leaves everyone waiting in the lurch!

In terms of the Columbia post - my slideroom status also changed to 2012 Sculpture - which unfortunately I don't think is a good sign since my last year status says "2011 Sculpture" and I was rejected. Sorry :( I really hope I'm wrong. Based on past years I think we should hear from them this week for interviews (but they too will not send out neg letters until late March.)

wait so are u saying mmet that if we havent heard from ucla its most likely a rejection? Lovely painter, nothing has been finalized meaning.... most decisions have been made but theres wiggle room or they are still reviewing? bah,hhhh

Looking back at previous years, it seems that people who were accepted by UCLA knew by this time and were notified by phone/email. Rejection letters were sent out in March. That's not to say that some might still be notified or waitlisted, but I've pretty much accepted that it's not happening for me this time around.

Edited by imbeingdead

@Fool4nine-

Thank you for your response. That's all reassuring to hear and I think I can do that (sans "like).

Ugh those Tyler and Columbia e-vites are killing me!

Congrats to the Rutgers and UCLA acceptances, heres hoping there are still a few notices left to be sent...

wait so are u saying mmet that if we havent heard from ucla its most likely a rejection? Lovely painter, nothing has been finalized meaning.... most decisions have been made but theres wiggle room or they are still reviewing? bah,hhhh

Basically in my experience over the past couple of years, no news at this point is not necessarily good news (or has not been in my case). Again - I do not know how they manage the wait list - so there is still hope in that area. I personally am assuming I didn't get in (perhaps some form of self-preservation damage control? ;) Sorry - I definitely don't want to be a downer here - all of the positivity on this board is inspiring to see. But in terms of planning things out, I think some news is more helpful than no news.

Thanks for the nice post tinaturnerrules! Hoping for us all that we get into the right place!

Edited by mmet

;) Sorry - I definitely don't want to be a downer here - all of the positivity on this board is inspiring to see. But in terms of planning things out, I think some news is more helpful than no news.

For sure - I'd rather know now & deal with it than spend another 3 weeks jumping out of my skin every time I get a new email!

Hey Guys, I'm currently waiting on SVA for an interview (crosses fingers) I'm applying for MFA-Design. Has anyone of you guys gotten your scheds? or at least heard of people getting interviews done already?

Hi,

I also applied to that program in SVA - I'm waiting for an interview invitation [hopefully].

Good luck to us!

Edited by Song

Unofficial rejection from VCU Visual Communications today. :( Apparently they made their decisions on Friday and will be communicating shortly. Now I'm only waiting to hear from two schools...

BOO!! I'm so sorry! Their loss!

How did you hear, email?

Thanks sphil,

I keep telling myself its not the end of the world. I am only 23. I didn't apply to the post-bacc either.. I applied to the degree program but they filled up fast and I guess because they don't have a wait-list this must be their way of hanging on to those of us who just missed the cut. I will wait for the remaining schools responses before making any decisions. I feel like either taking the non-degree position or just moving somewhere and hoping for the best are both equally risky routes economically, but the non-degree position at least means I'll have graduate-level hours on a transcript for when I *do* get into to grad school. (I know I haven't heard back from anywhere else yet, but I am trying to be realistic since the programs I applied for are so selective)

Sorry for being secretive about which programs I applied to. I am weird about the internet.

Are you talking about SAIC? If so, they do have waitlists. And I believe the post-bac is a one year degree, not a non-degree.

I could be wrong but i find it highly doubtful that UCLA would admit someone with no interview

I have to agree. I had my interview there last Friday (media arts) and since the program is part of the same department, and after talking to several Arts grads across genres, it seems they def. interview the people they have an interest in.

Conrgats to all on the various good news going around! And, best of luck to all this week.