MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

yes, just read in the catalog that came with the letter that there is no guaranteed admission to the MFA based on the completion of the certificate... Also the credits earned cannot be counted towards an MFA at SAIC...

"Graduates of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago are also ineligible for their college’s post-bac program. “They should already be prepared to compete at the M.F.A. level,” says André S. van de Putte, director of graduate admissions there. The institute also prefers graduates of liberal arts colleges over graduates of professional art schools. “Our program is meant for someone who has not been immersed in an art school environment,” he says. Three-quarters of its post-bac students eventually enter its M.F.A. program."

If you want to spend the money sounds like a good back door entrance to the school. IDK your background but FWIW I am doing a post-bacc at Brandeis but I chose it partly bc it was half the cost of others out there and we are the schools entire focus so we get all the attention, studios, visiting artists visits, etc. I also did it bc i didnt have a background in art during my time at college. Warning: I am biased against SAIC, seems to me its very industry and $$$$ oriented. just my 2 cents

Thanks for sharing what your teacher stated. I received the same and was so bitter, lol!! What your teacher wrote makes a lot of sense. SAIC is soooo expensive, throwing in another year, man, it's hard to think about it.

You are welcome, and it completely changed the way I was looking at it... I'm glad I emailed them!

Now I'm totally confused again (but that's a problem I'm not complaining about at all)... Yes, the $$$$, well, but if I can fund it (even by digging on loans) I still think at the end of the day, it would be the best investment I can make in my lifetime.

I'm kind of thinking everyone who wasn't accepted to SAIC MFA got the post-bac thing? It doesn't mean automatic acceptance even for the certificate program. You interview by April 1, and then they notify you by April 30th.

Can anyone tell me about "New Genre"? Does every school have a different definition? I know some places have put me with New Genre and others have placed me with Sculpture. I am trying to figure out if I might still be in the running at UCLA (unlikely) or already out. Anyone else having this problem?

Can anyone tell me about "New Genre"? Does every school have a different definition? I know some places have put me with New Genre and others have placed me with Sculpture. I am trying to figure out if I might still be in the running at UCLA (unlikely) or already out. Anyone else having this problem?

well when you filled out your application you had to pick between

Ceramics

Interdisciplinary Studio

New Genres

Painting and Drawing

Photography

Sculpture

seems to me you don't remember - go back and look at the application you submitted.

I'm kind of thinking everyone who wasn't accepted to SAIC MFA got the post-bac thing? It doesn't mean automatic acceptance even for the certificate program. You interview by April 1, and then they notify you by April 30th.

Really? So do they have that much space available? I'm puzzled by how could they possibly do that... I've heard about the great facilities, but since the certificate students get every perk full time grads get, including private studio and access to the same faculty, I'd imagine they'd have to "weed some folks out"...

Lotta lurkers out there - dont be holding info back on us

YES! Lack of news on VCU Painting is killing me. The application said they were doing interviews in February, in last year's forums the notifications came around the 25th, and now February is over... bad news? Faculty just running behind?

Congrats to everyone who has interviewed so far. It's always exciting to hear good news in this forum!

I haven't heard anything from Slade yet. It seems that they did interviews on Feb 24th last year. I have no idea whether they are going by the same schedule, but this does make me worried. I wish I could know one way or another, the lack of info is constantly hovering over me. Any insight is warmly welcomed.

Hi again! Just another tidbit of info: I just (finally) received an email from Cal Arts about their Skype interviews! For those who are Skyping in, keep an eye out!

Did they give you a time? What department are you? I still haven't heard from them for when my interview is :(

I have heard from applicants last year, that MICA offers the same post-bacc program as SAIC. I'm not too sure about the details about it, I just remember that she thought she was accepted to the MFA program, but was really accepted to the post-bacc program. A good option for those who are dead set on going to MICA.

Also, have any of the people that have heard from Tyler been applying for sculpture?

Thanks! The only question I have is a general one--has anyone here traveled (by plane) with a wet painting before? The works I have that are dry are all either much too large to fly with or already appeared in my portfolio, and I'd like to show them what I've been up to since I sent in my app. This one's quite small, about 8"x10", and I'm hoping to find a solution that will fit in my carry-on (so I can guard it with my life). I've read about tricks that involve securing it to the bottom of a sturdy box, so there's about an inch of breathing room above the surface, but I don't have the resources to build one of those slotted wooden boxes. I'm all set to MacGyver something with foam padding around the edges, duct tape on the bottom, etc., but is there a better idea that I'm not thinking of?

(I'm going to print an actual-size HQ photo and bring that just in case of, you know, disaster.)

Have you thought about making a box out of double walled carboard? All you would need is a sheet of it, an exacto-knife, and some tape. There are a number of websites with helpful hints on how to construct one.

If the piece is on canvas, you can take a couple of small wood screws, and once the piece is in the box, run the screws through the cardboard and into the frame (on the backside of the canvas - of course).

If you're taking a shot of the work, instead of a print and instead of taking the actual piece with you, why don't you use a tablet or a laptop to display it? I find the backlight of the screen helps it pop a bit more, also, if they have a projector in the room, you can hook it up and throw it on the wall.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Lotta lurkers out there - dont be holding info back on us

Ok, I might have some information on SAIC. I did my undergrad there. It was a number of years ago but I worked as a student assistant for the Grad Department.

Not everyone gets a post bac offer.

There are LOTS of very very awesome things about SAIC. I'm going to say maybe critical things but please weigh in the good stuff yourself.

The school is BIG. It's not like NYU or Columbia or even Yale art departments. It's BIG. The teachers run the departments but the school administrators run the school. The administrators have grown the school this big in the last 30 years. There are a lot of positives that come with being big: diversity, resources, etc.

The thing is that they need to keep enrollment up because they cannot shrink. BUT the administration also listens to the teachers. The teachers (the administering teachers - re department chairs etc, tenured teachers) want to keep the level of students high. (I think they get a little paranoid about this but whatever) so to split the difference they offer the post bac to those they think have great potential but are not, say, up to the level (this can be lots of things) that they expect from their own undergraduates.

As far as whether it's worth attending, I have no real opinion. I think you can rock it if you pick to do the post bac. Just take your self very seriously and everyone else will if not right away then eventually...which is the same advice I'd have for any grad student (me too hopefully.)

ROCK ON AND GOOD LUCK.

Did they give you a time? What department are you? I still haven't heard from them for when my interview is :(

l'artiste, no they didn't give a time yet. They said that they are holding them this Wednesday (aka tomorrow!) and that they would be sending out times "shortly." I can't help but feel this is punishment for not attending in person.

I applied to the general art MFA program, so I don't know about others. Maybe they are contacting by department?

Edited by miyamoto81

As far as whether it's worth attending, I have no real opinion. I think you can rock it if you pick to do the post bac. Just take your self very seriously and everyone else will if not right away then eventually...which is the same advice I'd have for any grad student (me too hopefully.)

Really helpful post, and great advice. I hope I can follow it (should I get in anywhere of course).

I know the MFA is a much-maligned degree, but I can't help but think it, or any other work - be it at a university or a residency, would be helpful. Even a year to paint or create full time is a blessing - add in a positive environment and a number of like-minded artists, and I don't see how you could lose if you can afford the time away from work and the cost of tuition - but if it's your calling - how can you not, right?

Anyway, thanks again for your insight. If you think of anything else that stood out in your mind about SAIC, please do not hesitate to post it.

Saw in the photo MFA thread that an international applicant was invited to interview with USC. Has anyone in the US gotten word already?

Yes, it seems they have conducted interviews. I have heard they are going to accept only 6 applicants this year! Is it true?!