MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Really helpful post, and great advice. I hope I can follow it (should I get in anywhere of course).

I know the MFA is a much-maligned degree, but I can't help but think it, or any other work - be it at a university or a residency, would be helpful. Even a year to paint or create full time is a blessing - add in a positive environment and a number of like-minded artists, and I don't see how you could lose if you can afford the time away from work and the cost of tuition - but if it's your calling - how can you not, right?

Anyway, thanks again for your insight. If you think of anything else that stood out in your mind about SAIC, please do not hesitate to post it.

Couldn't agree more... And one class I took at my undergrad taught me a great lesson about what to expect in grad school:

It was an intermediate sculpture class (I was a painting major)... It was the only studio class that I saw myself rubbing shoulders with many graduate students and it was the course that taught me the most about process and working hard... I was breezing through the undergrad studio classes (while working full-time), but when I faced the first critique on that class, it hit me in the head like a baseball bat. I learned about process and about beating on the idea "until you could squeeze every possibility out of it" and after that I realized I was in full control of everything I did with my art as long as I followed my newly discovered work ethic...

"until you could squeeze every possibility out of it"

Never thought of it that way. I've been struggling with my work lately - I've been working with a lot of black (painting), and although I think I should be more diverse with my palette, there is something about what I'm doing that is really driving me to keep going with it. I think you just gave me tacit approval to see how far I can take it.

as long as I followed my newly discovered work ethic...

I wish I had discovered and implemented that before I hit my 30's. I always seemed to just do enough. Afraid now that the 5 years I wasted after my undergrad is catching up with me in this application process. I should probably focus on the fact that I've found my work-ethic now and push myself. Better late than never I guess.

Yes, it seems they have conducted interviews. I have heard they are going to accept only 6 applicants this year! Is it true?!

So, people have heard from USC?! Through email or snail mail? My online application says it is still in the first phase of evaluation.

Ok just finished skype interview with Parsons, I really don't interview well lol when nervous, but I think they are accepting me in the program... it's just a question of funding...

Which department were you interviewing for at Parsons? I haven't heard any news from them (Fine Arts MFA).

So, people have heard from USC?! Through email or snail mail? My online application says it is still in the first phase of evaluation.

An applicant has been notified by email. Not sure, but they usually apply same rules to everyone and invite all finalists in same day..

Edited by outline

I haven't heard anything from Slade yet. It seems that they did interviews on Feb 24th last year. I have no idea whether they are going by the same schedule, but this does make me worried. I wish I could know one way or another, the lack of info is constantly hovering over me. Any insight is warmly welcomed.

I havent heard anything yet either! very strange.

I have been told by Jennifer Reeder, the Director of Graduate Studies, that we will be notified one week from today!

Good to know, thank you!

I didn't know how nerve-racking this whole process would be! I only want to get into one school and had it not been for people suggesting that I apply to more than one school, I wouldn't have. Now, all I do is sit and anxiously wait even though I just want one school! Grrrr.

Hi. I got into one school's 2 year post-bacc (non-degree) program. Because I haven't heard back from anyone else, I am starting to consider whether to take my chances on that program or whether to venture to a bigger city in hopes of gaining experience in design. I applied to interdisciplinary design programs, mostly - all of the programs I applied to have very low acceptance rates and because I am fresh out of undergrad, I am trying not to take it personally if I only get rejections at this point. I am trying to figure out if no news is good news with the other schools I have applied to. I've noticed some others here have gotten accepted to non-degree programs. Anyone know if its worth the time and money? If I take that route, I actually plan on re applying to the other schools during my time in the program.

Is no news good news? I don't know. Nothing is working out in my world these days.

@Mindfields88

I know some people who have had great experiences in a post bac. It is in my mind an issue of medium. If you need access to a foundry, arch welders, intaglio gear, or any number of expensive tools to complete your work then it makes sense. If you can make art in your kitchen or bedroom then do that. See how being outside of the school environment effects you and your work.

Even if you love foundry and other dangerous things, you might benefit from working with the limitations of a home studio. I know people who got full rides for MFAs with work made with sculpey and kitchen table wood block printing.

Hi. I got into one school's 2 year post-bacc (non-degree) program. Because I haven't heard back from anyone else, I am starting to consider whether to take my chances on that program or whether to venture to a bigger city in hopes of gaining experience in design. I applied to interdisciplinary design programs, mostly - all of the programs I applied to have very low acceptance rates and because I am fresh out of undergrad, I am trying not to take it personally if I only get rejections at this point. I am trying to figure out if no news is good news with the other schools I have applied to. I've noticed some others here have gotten accepted to non-degree programs. Anyone know if its worth the time and money? If I take that route, I actually plan on re applying to the other schools during my time in the program.

Is no news good news? I don't know. Nothing is working out in my world these days.

Hi there! I was fresh out of undergrad last year, and chose to do a post bacc program this year, and it was a great choice and experience for me. It really is a great way to build your portfolio and explore new ideas. However, I would be a little cautious about signing up for a 2-year post-bacc, that's a lot of time and money to commit to without getting a degree out of it. I would suggest looking at 1 year post-baccs, most of which it isn't too late to apply to! Good luck!!!

Hi there! I was fresh out of undergrad last year, and chose to do a post bacc program this year, and it was a great choice and experience for me. It really is a great way to build your portfolio and explore new ideas. However, I would be a little cautious about signing up for a 2-year post-bacc, that's a lot of time and money to commit to without getting a degree out of it. I would suggest looking at 1 year post-baccs, most of which it isn't too late to apply to! Good luck!!!

Woops, I meant to say that it is a 1-year post-bacc. Too little sleep last night.

Anyway, I am still waiting to hear back from every other place I applied. I took a risk with graduate school this year by applying to programs in Design (graphic design and interactive environment-based design with a mix of ID here and there) while my BFA is in fine arts - however my work and research for my thesis during undergrad related to design. That being said, the letter I received about being accepted into the non-degree program stated that that particular school thinks I would benefit from a year of core classes - which I understand. What I am not sure of is whether or not it is worth it to take that route (in a city that I don't particularly want to move to because there doesn't seem to be many opportunities outside of the university) or to move to a bigger city like New York or Los Angeles in attempts to find outlets to gain experience without a masters. I suppose the wisest thing would have been to major in design during my undergrad career, but I can't take back the past. I wasn't entirely sure of what I wanted to do until I was already close to entering my senior year at art school and I couldn't afford to switch majors at that point.

It certainly doesn't seem reasonable that a 18-year-old should know what he or she wants to do with the rest of his or her life. Now that I am a year out of school, I am almost 100% certain that I find design more fulfilling. Well, I'll sit back and wait for now. But I feel the overwhelming need to start the rest of my life.

Oh, good, that's awesome. (Not Frances Barth being ill obviously)

Yeah, hope she's okay. I've heard lots of good things about her from former students in other programs, so she's one of the big factors in applying there.