MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Stupid question- For the in-person interviews what kind of attire is okay? I know my friends who went for their Med School interviews had to dress 'Business Casual', but does anyone know for MFA?

I had a similar experience to Ifwd.

At a minimum I would wear clean pants and a shirt with a collar.

Error on the side of nicer.

Most importantly dress like yourself and make sure you feel comfortable.

Anyone who has had interviews this year already...I would love to get some tips for a couple of upcoming interviews (RISD, Cranbrook, and CalArts.) I am curious to know what these schools or other schools have been asking and to see if there is any crossover. Just trying to prepare solidly. Also, anyone heard from Columbia MFA? Thanks y'all.

Congrats on all the acceptances! as for attire to wear to the interview, it's totally up to you really. I don't think they're that superficial that their decision comes down to what you put on that day, if they can even remember. do you remember exactly what they had on? probably not. I wore a sports coat and khakis, which is a little over dressed than my usual attire but hopefully it shows a level of professionalism and maturity, especially at the young age I am. Good luck to everyone this week!

Because I track views on Vimeo, I know that SVA just looked at my portfolio for the first time yesterday. So they are moving forward with reviewing Photo & Video applications.

That's pretty bad-ass... super secret sleuthing!

Trying to keep the faith :mellow: how do you keep the faith alive ? Sigh.

Fantastic that everyone is starting to hear back! Still waiting for more news....UCLA, UO, come on you know you want me ;)

Edited by LovelyPainter

I'm in the same point, (fresh out of undergrad and getting nothing but rejections so far). Didn't apply to post bacc programs though. As far as if it's worth it or not, if you have the money and don't have to pull out loans, then I'd do it. If it's a school that you would like to attend for your master's and you get in good standing with the faculty, then you have a good shot after you finish the program.

And secondly, don't take it personally. It sucks, and I'm having a hard time with it too. But really, I think some life experience is just as important to improving your artistic practice as a degree, whatever it may be. Take a year or two off. Just continue working and apply next year. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!

Thanks sphil,

I keep telling myself its not the end of the world. I am only 23. I didn't apply to the post-bacc either.. I applied to the degree program but they filled up fast and I guess because they don't have a wait-list this must be their way of hanging on to those of us who just missed the cut. I will wait for the remaining schools responses before making any decisions. I feel like either taking the non-degree position or just moving somewhere and hoping for the best are both equally risky routes economically, but the non-degree position at least means I'll have graduate-level hours on a transcript for when I *do* get into to grad school. (I know I haven't heard back from anywhere else yet, but I am trying to be realistic since the programs I applied for are so selective)

Sorry for being secretive about which programs I applied to. I am weird about the internet.

we are never too old... Unless you allow yourself to believe that. I'm 47, the work I submitted as my portfolio to grad school is ONE year old. I started from scratch @ 46 years old! I purged everything I did for almost 20 years and threw myself 105% into the new work, going for broke. I was prepared to deal with the possibility of it not working out at all. I got lucky, it worked out for the best. I love my new phase and the way I approach my art making. One day I want to make sure to inspire and enlighten students (saw many of them during my undergrad years) that expect their work to fall into place while in school or upon graduation. Every artist is different and as long as they believe that that's their calling, it's a matter of putting the time into the work and eventually things will start to click into place. Besides, isn't the journey "trying to get there" the more interesting part of the whole thing?

Thank you for this post! I needed to read that. It makes me feel hopeful about my future. Good for you for showing so much drive! I wish you all the best.

I've decided that if I don't find a forever home in an MFA program by Fall, I am going to pick up and move wherever and figure out plan B, because the energies of where I'm at now have become stagnant. It is all about the journey and I'm ready for an adventure!

Stupid question- For the in-person interviews what kind of attire is okay? I know my friends who went for their Med School interviews had to dress 'Business Casual', but does anyone know for MFA?

One of my undergrad professors always said that anytime she went on an interview she wore a black blazer and silk scarf. I like the idea of that and if ever I had an in person interview (so far it's been over the phone) that's what I plan on wearing. I've been on the hunt for the perfect fitted blazer ever since she told me that.

Good luck on your interview!

dunno what it means, but I checked slideroom and my program for columbia has changed from "2012 Sculpture MFA" to "2012 Sculpture" - on my online application, not the slideroom one, it still says my status as "submitted" and nothing else. looking through last year i see that columbia also was changing their slideroom program names, so i just wanted to send the word out that a word might be coming soon... hopefully....