MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Wonderful news! Congrats! How was Cranbrook? I'm interviewing there in two weeks and am awfully anxious...

The interview was pretty light and easy. No real tough questions other than: "Where do you see your work progressing from your portfolio?" I've had several interviews by phone so far and they have not been all that probing. Of course every school and discipline can be different. The best advice is to prepare with the interview questions posted on the forum. Perhaps have a few responses typed out and in front if you in case you get flustered. Then relax about it and just try to be yourself.

One thing to keep in mind is that I've heard that professors hate the interview process as much as the applicants. They often are required to do it but don't really enjoy it. With some schools, the interview is used to cut another 75%. However, I understand that with less than the most competitive programs, if you are getting interviewed it is because they likely want you already and just want to make sure that you have the ability to speak in complete sentences without using the word "like" every time you pause. Banish that word from your vocabulary and you will instantly sound more intelligent than 50% of most college students today (sorry... my age is showing).

Thanks zecchi and LoloLauren, I appreciate it!

Ha! Thanks Tyson2, I am hoping the same for you! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you (east coast all the way! ;))- and maybe we can share some boomeranging good vibes with an interview request from NYU for me! We'll see, I'm not sure if no news from them is good news or not . . .

And mlo, congratulations on UCLA, another great school with a great program!

For sure! I will send some good NYU mojo out and hope those interview requests are on there way. I think they might just because so many people on this forum haven't heard from them and I find it hard to believe I'm the only one on the forum with an NYU interview. Especially when many of the people I see on here who applied have work way better than mine.

Still no news from Rutgers but here is to keeping the faith!!

Hey, new here. Didn't even know this existed until someone in class heard be freaking out about grad school. Thanks random girl with blonde hair, wherever you are.

Nonetheless, has anyone heard from, oh, CORNELL? I'm dying here....

Thanks biddies

Hi, welcome. Helps to know what your program/discipline is (you can list in in your profile so it shows up if you wish) as it helps to answer that kind of questions.

But for photo at least... no, no word yet.

I just got an email from Columbia and my heart skipped about 5 beats. Alas, it was only their newsletter. Whomp, whomp.

AAAAAARGH!

The worst part was the subject line: You're invited...

I almost died. How can they see this as fair?!?! They know some (most?) of us don't know. Why Columbia? Why?

When will I hear anything from a school other than teases like this?

Hi, welcome. Helps to know what your program/discipline is (you can list in in your profile so it shows up if you wish) as it helps to answer that kind of questions.

It's for mixed media. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to law school. But I really don't.

AAAAAARGH!

The worst part was the subject line: You're invited...

I almost died. How can they see this as fair?!?! They know some (most?) of us don't know. Why Columbia? Why?

When will I hear anything from a school other than teases like this?

Just had the same experience! The worst was when we had only a couple of weeks to file the FAFSA for them and we received a reminder email every other day or so!

Edited by shmwy

Hey, new here. Didn't even know this existed until someone in class heard be freaking out about grad school. Thanks random girl with blonde hair, wherever you are.

Nonetheless, has anyone heard from, oh, CORNELL? I'm dying here....

Thanks biddies

Nope. No Cornell word as of yet!

...I don't think Cornell designates disciplines, as I recall.

Just had the same experience! The worst was when we had only a couple of weeks to file the FAFSA for them and we received a reminder email every other day or so!

Oooh, you are so right. I guess I should have expected it.

Tampa! Alright! I went to see a spring training game last March at Tropicana - Rays vs. Jays - nicest MLB fans I've ever met. About 10 people thanked me for coming in from Toronto. I was very pleasantly surprised. Other ballparks, like the one near Columbia (LOL) not so much.

Hi. I got into one school's 2 year post-bacc (non-degree) program. Because I haven't heard back from anyone else, I am starting to consider whether to take my chances on that program or whether to venture to a bigger city in hopes of gaining experience in design. I applied to interdisciplinary design programs, mostly - all of the programs I applied to have very low acceptance rates and because I am fresh out of undergrad, I am trying not to take it personally if I only get rejections at this point. I am trying to figure out if no news is good news with the other schools I have applied to. I've noticed some others here have gotten accepted to non-degree programs. Anyone know if its worth the time and money? If I take that route, I actually plan on re applying to the other schools during my time in the program.

Is no news good news? I don't know. Nothing is working out in my world these days.

I'm in the same point, (fresh out of undergrad and getting nothing but rejections so far). Didn't apply to post bacc programs though. As far as if it's worth it or not, if you have the money and don't have to pull out loans, then I'd do it. If it's a school that you would like to attend for your master's and you get in good standing with the faculty, then you have a good shot after you finish the program.

And secondly, don't take it personally. It sucks, and I'm having a hard time with it too. But really, I think some life experience is just as important to improving your artistic practice as a degree, whatever it may be. Take a year or two off. Just continue working and apply next year. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!

Never thought of it that way. I've been struggling with my work lately - I've been working with a lot of black (painting), and although I think I should be more diverse with my palette, there is something about what I'm doing that is really driving me to keep going with it. I think you just gave me tacit approval to see how far I can take it.

I wish I had discovered and implemented that before I hit my 30's. I always seemed to just do enough. Afraid now that the 5 years I wasted after my undergrad is catching up with me in this application process. I should probably focus on the fact that I've found my work-ethic now and push myself. Better late than never I guess.

we are never too old... Unless you allow yourself to believe that. I'm 47, the work I submitted as my portfolio to grad school is ONE year old. I started from scratch @ 46 years old! I purged everything I did for almost 20 years and threw myself 105% into the new work, going for broke. I was prepared to deal with the possibility of it not working out at all. I got lucky, it worked out for the best. I love my new phase and the way I approach my art making. One day I want to make sure to inspire and enlighten students (saw many of them during my undergrad years) that expect their work to fall into place while in school or upon graduation. Every artist is different and as long as they believe that that's their calling, it's a matter of putting the time into the work and eventually things will start to click into place. Besides, isn't the journey "trying to get there" the more interesting part of the whole thing?

Stupid question- For the in-person interviews what kind of attire is okay? I know my friends who went for their Med School interviews had to dress 'Business Casual', but does anyone know for MFA?

In the one interview I went to, I dressed up nicely without wearing 'suit' attire. The two people who went before me were wearing much more casual clothing (a little too casual in my opinion, but what do I know?). I feel like if I had worn suit pants or a jacket or something I would have felt a little bit out of place. The professors and grad students who were sitting in were all wearing pretty casual clothing (casual as in what you might wear in any average day in classes/at the studio.)

Got my letter from SAIC today. They're offering me a post-bacc and, despite some misgivings about the usefulness of the program, I am going to consider it. I have been out of school for a while and having the opportunity to paint full time, establish some new connections and correct some of my undergrad weaknesses (poor gpa) might be a good idea. Thinking...

Hey- I did the post-bacc last year. I felt the same way at first but it was actually a really awesome experience. It really helped me to develop my voice and work and most of the post-baccs go on to the MFA program. I decided to wait a year and work with all of my new knowledge. I definitely recommend it, the post bacc teachers are so wonderful too !