MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

For the painters out there, I received an email from Columbia on Thursday inviting me to interview at the end of March. I was bcc'd on it so I think it was sent out to a group.

Even though this is my first time posting, this forum has been really helpful throughout the whole intense process. So thanks to those who have been so active!

I wonder if because painters are by far the largest group, (600 or roughly half) they send out invites to interview in batches?

Im wondering if the order they review is based on alphabet, or if its based on order submitted...

has anyone else gotten painting invites to interview? if so whats the first couple letters of the last name, or when you submitted.

(jst trying to piece it all together)

I received a letter in the mail on February 10th. I applied for printmaking. I think they only take four on average for print, so they might have seen four apps that jumped out and were done with it or I might have just gotten the ax in the first round. I haven't heard of anyone who got accepted yet.

Thanks for the info. I hear their printmaking is very competitive. I think there is someone on here who heard from ceramics from UTK, but I still waiting for painting.

A good job to everyone who has heard good news today!

congrats to all of you that are getting good news! Now go make some art!

Right, can't forget about the art making part!

Congrats everyone, you can tell by all this news that March is finally here!

I feel like I might know where I'm going to go :]

Congrats to the RISD interviewees!

Has anyone heard from the printmaking department at RISD?

I applied to RISD for printmaking and haven't heard yet. I recently met with the head of the department and he said they were going slow this year because they can only accept 6 people (they over enrolled last year because all 10 they let in said yes and decided to come)

Good luck and congrats to all with good news!

Found out a few days ago I am on the wait list at the University of Florida for their painting program.

I'm curious...is it over stepping or a bit much to call and ask what number you are on a wait list? Would an e-mail be more appropriate? I would like to know if I am anywhere close to possibly having a shot if someone declines to go after they're accepted, or if I am at the very end of the list.

Edited by leetimko

Found out a few days ago I am on the wait list at the University of Florida for their painting program.

I'm curious...is it over stepping or a bit much to call and ask what number you are on a wait list? Would an e-mail be more appropriate? I would like to know if I am anywhere close to possibly having a shot if someone declines to go after they're accepted, or if I am at the very end of the list.

I think it is pretty standard to call and ask where you are at on the waitlist. It is important for you to know!

Nervously waiting to hear back from Tyler, Sculpture.

(My interview went okay, i felt AWFULLY SHAKEN afterwords-like got to the airport 5 hours early because i couldn't concentrate on anything but being hella nervous- but everyone i talked to said it sounded like it didn't go badly at all.)

anybody heard back yet?

I applied to RISD for printmaking and haven't heard yet. I recently met with the head of the department and he said they were going slow this year because they can only accept 6 people (they over enrolled last year because all 10 they let in said yes and decided to come)

Good luck and congrats to all with good news!

Thanks for the information. That is good to know!

Wa that Andrew Raftery you met with? Awesome artist if it is.

Rejected from UGA. Boohoohoohoohoo.

you want to go to philly anyway!!!!

Just talked to Tyler and Rutgers about my incomplete application status' online, both are false. Both applications are complete and under review. No more trusting the online application status for me.

Congrats to all who heard good news today.

Thanks for the information. That is good to know!

Wa that Andrew Raftery you met with? Awesome artist if it is.

I have visited a number of the printmaking programs and Andrew Raftery and Brian Shure were two of the best professors I have met. They are both really talented, present teachers. It is too bad RISD is so expensive because the teachers there are incredible - not just great artists, but amazing teachers and mentors.

Just noticed Hunter never got my transcript. Awesome.

Call them and make sure, if they don't have it see if you can email them a copy until an official one gets there. I had to do that to two schools (afterward I actually found out the registrar never sent ANY of them in the first place.) But emailing them one should buy you some time to get an official one sent their way.

How many of you have been contacting your programs regularly? I just let it go to the wind.

Also, noticing a conspicuous lack of kazoo lately, spirits plummeting!

Aww, yeah, where IS kazoo. She's a love... :(

As far as contacting, naa...if they want to talk to me, they can call/email (and they do). I don't like bugging people no matter how stressed I may be. Not my style. Plus, you eventually find out one way or the other, so why bother?

Edited by OutWest

Aww, yeah, where IS kazoo. She's a love... :(

As far as contacting, naa...if they want to talk to me, they can call/email (and they do). I don't like bugging people no matter how stressed I may be. Not my style. Plus, you eventually find out one way or the other, so why bother?

Good to hear. I have a tendency to let things go of their own accord and that is sometimes interpreted as aloofness (which is really annoying, btw) so I'm paranoid that I'm supposed to be all up in admissions' collective grills to prove I care.

Edited by sympatico

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. I'm waiting to hear from them too (printmaking again.) My web login has said "Grad School Status Domestic Ready for Decision Department Status: Decision made and sent to Grad school" since Wednesday. I probably log in and check every four to five minutes. This has been the longest two and a half days of the whole process. If I get rejected I'm down to one last school. I already have a trip booked to Atlanta in three weeks to visit my Uncle who is super-stoked at the possibility of having family close for the first time in over 40 years since he moved to the south. He's been talking about booking hotels in Athens to go look at UGA and apartment hunt. I don't think he has any idea how much of a long shot it is to get into these programs. I told him I better just see if I can tour Georgia State in Atlanta to apply for next year:/ I hope I get a letter tomorrow.

My UGA application status has been in that state for a while, and I received nothing in the mail today. The wait is painful, I agree, and you're right, non-art family and friends just have NO clue.

But... I did get an important email today! Accepted to SMU (Southern Methodist University, in Dallas). I know it's not on the radar of most people posting here (I applied to a range of schools regarding rank/size/location/etc.) but it's a frickin' cool program and I'm happy about it!

As for these Tyler MFA exhibition invitation emails... grrrr...

...so I'm paranoid that I'm supposed to be all up in admissions collective grill's to prove I care.

Lol, no worries, I can understand that feeling, but you have to figure so many of these people will have 8,472 calls a week. Adding to that noise will not endear you to them in any way (and, it certainly won't help any decision making after they have talked to you and seen all your goodies, etc)...that's my feeling about it. I mean, I'd be pretty annoyed with some candidate calling me up 50 times while things were pending.

That being said, if one does have a valid reason to talk to them beyond "Where's my admission answer?!", then by all means give them a call!

I wonder if because painters are by far the largest group, (600 or roughly half) they send out invites to interview in batches?

Im wondering if the order they review is based on alphabet, or if its based on order submitted...

has anyone else gotten painting invites to interview? if so whats the first couple letters of the last name, or when you submitted.

(jst trying to piece it all together)

I submitted a couple hours before deadline and I'm later in the alphabet ( I would sort of be surprised if either of those were factors though). The woman I spoke with to arrange the time said they were doing all of the interviews over two days.

As for these Tyler MFA exhibition invitation emails... grrrr...

If I was within driving distance to campus, i would be on my way now. Why would anyone pass up a chance to hobnob with people who could further your career as an artist? Or talk to the people who have the deciding power of your application?

If I was within driving distance to campus, i would be on my way now. Why would anyone pass up a chance to hobnob with people who could further your career as an artist? Or talk to the people who have the deciding power of your application?

I'm not upset about being invited to the show (I'm with you... I'd love to see it if I could), but every time I see "Tyler School of Art" in my email inbox I get all twitchy and think it's an admissions decision. Nope, just their 4th reminder about the exhibition. It's an issue of timing, not content.