MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Thanks! And same back to you! Now we just need MassArt to make some decisions...

susanbanthony - did they offer you any scholarship $$? they made a point of it to note in my letter that they "unfortunately" can't offer me any scholarships. booo.

They mentioned a $5k scholarship, no word on anything else. Once they send us the official letter it'll be more clear. It's got me a little worried for my fate at BU as my other offers will give me little to no debt.

thats exactly why i didnt apply to bu, terrible aid, expensive place to live, and high tuition. Many of my current professors went there and while it worked out for them theyve told me to really consider places that fund you

Hi!

I just joined the forum (wish I had known about it before).

I am in the post-bacc program at SFAI and just applied to 6 MFA programs for Sculpture.

I was wondering if anyone had heard back from Mills or UIC??

Thanks and good luck to everyone waiting to hear back from schools still!!

Hi!

I am in the post-bacc program at SFAI and just applied to 6 MFA programs for Sculpture.

I am not sure about Mills but I also applied to UIC. We should find out by the end of this week!

Hi!

How do you like the post-bac? A few of us are contemplating it.

I'm in a pickle....I found out last week that I got into NYAA, which was my first choice and PERFECT for me as I am a figurative painter. I know that the school is very well connected and that the student art there is terrific, but as I'd feared, they offered me very little help ($3k scholarship and tuition is $30,600). Otherwise I only applied to Tyler, where I don't think I've been accepted. I'm torn because I love NYAA's program, but have a hard time stomaching the debt I'd be getting myself into. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate them!!

I'm in a pickle....I found out last week that I got into NYAA, which was my first choice and PERFECT for me as I am a figurative painter. I know that the school is very well connected and that the student art there is terrific, but as I'd feared, they offered me very little help ($3k scholarship and tuition is $30,600). Otherwise I only applied to Tyler, where I don't think I've been accepted. I'm torn because I love NYAA's program, but have a hard time stomaching the debt I'd be getting myself into. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate them!!

I am working in the figurative realm as well and NYAA was my top pick. I decided not to apply though due to location ( I love NYC though) but the cost of living and school there is immense. I was torn between many aspects there, the studio spaces are not very big and it is NOT 24/7 access so that turned me off a bit. the faculty is great but not sure how much contact you have with them other than a mid year and end year crit. it seemed like a lot of the students were teaching other students, which is fine and how grad school should be but when a school brags about their faculty as much as they do, they should have some more input in your work than twice a year I feel. I have seen many ppl take off after going there and many not do anything so it's all up to how hard you work, which is true with any program. Not so much where you go, but how hard you work. good work is good work no matter where you are or where you went. best of luck with your decisions, are there any other schools you got in to?

edit: just saw you only applied to Tyler and NYAA. Wait to hear something back from Tyler and then make your decision as far as funding goes. They are both great programs but being from Paris I'm not sure if you've visited either school. let me know I've been to both.

Edited by leetimko

I am working in the figurative realm as well and NYAA was my top pick. I decided not to apply though due to location ( I love NYC though) but the cost of living and school there is immense. I was torn between many aspects there, the studio spaces are not very big and it is NOT 24/7 access so that turned me off a bit. the faculty is great but not sure how much contact you have with them other than a mid year and end year crit. it seemed like a lot of the students were teaching other students, which is fine and how grad school should be but when a school brags about their faculty as much as they do, they should have some more input in your work than twice a year I feel. I have seen many ppl take off after going there and many not do anything so it's all up to how hard you work, which is true with any program. Not so much where you go, but how hard you work. good work is good work no matter where you are or where you went. best of luck with your decisions, are there any other schools you got in to?

edit: just saw you only applied to Tyler and NYAA. Wait to hear something back from Tyler and then make your decision as far as funding goes. They are both great programs but being from Paris I'm not sure if you've visited either school. let me know I've been to both.

Thanks leetimko! It's good to hear about those aspects of the school - so far I hadn't been able to find any actual criticism of the place and it's nice to weigh that in. I haven't been able to make it over there to visit schools although I am from the States originally; plane tickets are crazy expensive. I'll definitely wait to hear back from Tyler, though it seems like they already contacted everyone who they wanted to interview so I'm just assuming I didn't make the cut. Good luck with your figurative work!

Thanks leetimko! It's good to hear about those aspects of the school - so far I hadn't been able to find any actual criticism of the place and it's nice to weigh that in. I haven't been able to make it over there to visit schools although I am from the States originally; plane tickets are crazy expensive. I'll definitely wait to hear back from Tyler, though it seems like they already contacted everyone who they wanted to interview so I'm just assuming I didn't make the cut. Good luck with your figurative work!

Thanks! and I definitely do not want it sound like I am not for nyaa. you should be so proud and excited that you got in to their program. when i had my portfolio review the professor I had was harsh but supportive, encouraging and honest. this really made me think about my work in a new way just in that twenty minutes. They do know what's up when it comes to representational, figurative-based work. if you've got some cash...do it.

Edited by leetimko

Have a phone interview with University of Washington (Seattle), found out via email on Monday, scheduled for tomorrow, nervous nervous nervous. They sent me a list of questions that we'll be going over which should make it easier but for some reason terrifies me all the more. I need the most polished perfect responses, plus practice making it sound like I'm not reading directly from my notes...

I'd definitely contact the admissions office, if you haven't already, and explain your situation. It seems that others on these forums have had success in negotiating more financial aid, and I'd imagine that there would be some degree of flexibility as some students will decline the offer. If nothing else, they will be able to tell you about the various scholarships available to matriculated students. Just glancing at their website, I see a number of scholarships and grants listed, especially for second-year students. There is also a housing scholarship for female students. I'm sure these scholarships are competitive, but it's something to keep in mind...

Congratulations and good luck! I've heard great things about NYAA and I'm sure it will be a wonderful opportunity if you can work things out financially.

Well said, Leetimko. I have the same issues I have with the NYAA as I do with PAFA. I've known a handful of people who have gone to both places, overall they're positive about the programs. Although, they've never explained "why" they like it other than mentioning the "famous" people they "study" with. They lure you in with the promise of studying with people like Assael, Kanevsky, Ann Gale, etc. So you do actually meet with them a few times a year, that's fine I guess. I'd rather not put myself in 100k of debt (after tuition and living in the city) just so I could say that I had 4 critiques with Vincent Desiderio. If you're figurative, and you think that NYAA is the best choice for you because you had an unsatisfactory undergraduate education at a foundational level (which I think is why most people are attracted to these places) then you could just as easily take the year off, set up some still-lives or work from the model or mirror, learn sight-to-size method, watch demonstrations on youtube, and support other professional artists by buying some of their painting and drawing dvds.

Edited by susanbanthony69

Does anybody know what happened to Starling? He was a frequent poster for a while, but lately has dropped completely out of sight. I'm wondering how his admissions process is turning out.

He changed his name to R Mutt, and I saw him this weekend, probly still recovering from our apartment show/party. ;)

Nothing like walking out of your home to go to the studio to see an apartment building down the block burning to the ground to truly put all of this freaking out and stress over graduate school in perspective. Everyone that lives in the building is alive and accounted for with minimal injuries. Makes you see all of this differently.

Hey guys,

So I have another update-- today I got an email acceptance to VCU sculpture!

But I know for sure that they're still notifying people for interviews, they go kind of slowly.

Mlo, that's awesome congratulations! Though - and I say this out of much respect - I think I speak for all of the forum members when I say that I kind of hate you a little bit ;) . . . You got into VCU (the #1 sculpture program in the country!), you got into UCLA (another top program) and you had an interview for Yale, (the #1 all around program!). 1. Your work must be amazing, and 2. I'm sure you worked really hard for it, so congratulations! :) :) :)

(Though I'm still slightly jealous.)

Edited by miyamoto81

Nothing like walking out of your home to go to the studio to see an apartment building down the block burning to the ground to truly put all of this freaking out and stress over graduate school in perspective. Everyone that lives in the building is alive and accounted for with minimal injuries. Makes you see all of this differently.

Oh my god, that's awful! I thought about the same thing with the tornados that hit the midwest this week . . . Despite the fact that I've wanted to rip my hair out at various points - while looking at things like this, I have felt very lucky and thankful lately that I'm even in this position, to follow my dreams of doing what I love to do. It does indeed put things into perspective.

Oh my god, that's awful! I thought about the same thing with the tornados that hit the midwest this week . . . Despite the fact that I've wanted to rip my hair out at various points - while looking at things like this, I have felt very lucky and thankful lately that I'm even in this position, to follow my dreams of doing what I love to do. It does indeed put things into perspective.

I feel the same. I feel truly lucky to be in this position pursuing goals that some people can't. But life goes on, and we also can't stop and wallow in the "what if's" and "could/should have been's," but count ourselves fortunate that we even get the chance to pursue graduate school and careers beyond that.

Rejection comes in a small, thin envelope.

Ha! Oh, I feel you, believe me.

Though I will say this: my acceptance to Rutgers came in a small, thin envelope so keep the faith, even if you see one! (It took my brain a few seconds to process what was going on when I opened it.)

A great departure from all of this. Thank you for helping us to step outside for a moment.

Just FYI if anyone is wanting Mills info: I got a call today that I was accepted (painting).

Kate, did Mills mention anything about funding to you? Just curious as to if they offer anything.

Just got an email from the CCA faculty who interviewed me; I've been accepted to the Social Practice MFA at California College of the Arts.

Congrats! Know the school very well, if you want to email. Cheers, amazing program