MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Just got word via email- waitlisted at UIC. (SIGH) No acceptances as of yet, I am starting to think about what to do next year if I don't get in anywhere. Not encouraging.

Hang in there, noahfur. I was talking with my advisor about waitlists yesterday. There are probably a number of applicants out there who are being offered spots in many programs, but they will only be able to go to one. As they (painfully slowly) make their decisions, positions open up at various schools. Being on a waitlist is still good: it means that they think you're a good fit for the program and that you're still at the top of the stack of applicants. And you were shortlisted at Tyler, right? That is a very good sign! I'm hoping the best for you.

That's 2014 Graduating Class. So, fall 2012 entry :}

Yes! though I am not sure of my chances on getting an acceptance now.. but still better than an outright rejection!! :)

Meanwhile, still no word from Rutgers. I know a few people on this forum have heard back, does no news mean I have been wait-listed? Anyone else still waiting to hear back from them?

I thought of that possibility too, but I don't recall anyone on here getting a rejection yet, so I don't know.

Meanwhile, still no word from Rutgers. I know a few people on this forum have heard back, does no news mean I have been wait-listed? Anyone else still waiting to hear back from them?

Im in the same boat.. My status still says no decision. *sigh*

Hang in there, noahfur. I was talking with my advisor about waitlists yesterday. There are probably a number of applicants out there who are being offered spots in many programs, but they will only be able to go to one. As they (painfully slowly) make their decisions, positions open up at various schools. Being on a waitlist is still good: it means that they think you're a good fit for the program and that you're still at the top of the stack of applicants. And you were shortlisted at Tyler, right? That is a very good sign! I'm hoping the best for you.

Thanks for the optimistic wishes, Sculptor.

I'm a little more disillusioned perhaps as this is my second time through this process- I applied last year and was waitlisted at 2 schools, ended up not getting into either of them. But yes, there is hope. I'll be interviewing at Hunter on Saturday, we'll see how that goes.

For people who (like me) haven't heard anything back, good or bad, from Tyler - I spoke to someone from their admissions department today and it seems we're still in the running even though we weren't contacted for interviews. The applicants that they decided not to admit after the first review were already notified. I got the impression that the people who have already had interview requests are certainly in the best standing, but the rest shouldn't necessarily despair. She even said a few people now and then are accepted without ever being asked to interview. The final results should go out by the end of the month.

I'm in a tough spot because the deposit for NYAA to hold me a place is due on April 1, so if Tyler doesn't send a reply before then it's a problem. Hmmm...

I'm pretty sure that Tyler doesn't do interviews for painting, but they've sent emails to people who are "finalists". The "finalists" haven't been officially accepted, so conceivably some of them will get offers and some will be waitlisted? I'm not sure what that means for those of us who haven't heard anything one way or the other. Third-choice waitlist?

Last year it looks like Rutgers people didn't get their rejections until around 3-14. One person posted they were notified of being on the waitlist like a week before that. It's hard to say anything for sure though because schools do not always follow their same patterns every year.

For example, the last two years Hunter didn't notify people of interviews until around the first of March and this year they did it weeks ahead. Also, they didn't notify people of rejections until 3/16 and it looks like all of us got our rejections from there last week.

So the moral is, for us who haven't heard from Rutgers it doesn't look good but with that said who really knows for sure until you actually hear from the school. I'd say it is better to stay positive than focus on negatives.

Edited by tysonr2

Im in the same boat.. My status still says no decision. *sigh*

Kazoo, you haven't heard from UCSD yet? I'd say that is probably better news than bad news because it looks like they have already sent out mass rejections already. Perhaps a waitlist, or possibly still an acceptance. Good luck!

Kazoo, you haven't heard from UCSD yet? I'd say that is probably better news than bad news because it looks like they have already sent out mass rejections already. Perhaps a waitlist, or possibly still an acceptance. Good luck!

Thanks tysonr2, I hope so! Just have to be patient I guess.

Regarding PAFA and NYAA:

These are appropriate discussions to have. I personally do not believe that a $100K degree from one of these places gives you any competitive advantage to make it worthwhile. They are well-known in the niche market of traditional representational painting, but not so well respected in the mainstream art world. If you can get decent funding, by all means. But otherwise, find a normal school with at least one good figurative person on the faculty, and go there.

What you said in one sentence precisely explains my position on these schools, '...a niche market of traditional representational painting, but no so well respected in the mainstream art world'. Thanks losemygrip.

http://www.grad.umn....ts/april15.html

Go to that link. There is a sample letter (pdf link) at the bottom that you can fill in with your specific information and forward to NYAA as well as an explanation of the April 15th deadline agreed on by members of the Council of Graduate Schools which NYAA may not be a member of. Ask them to extend the decision deadline to April 15th. If they aren't just trying to suck money out of you to generate profit they should have no problem with allowing you to weigh all of your options and make this difficult and life changing decision (IMHO.)

Good luck!

This is their snake-like way of striking fear into their herd of applicants, I'm sure they're working from a loop-hole as this "deposit" goes towards your studies. Just the beginning of their ritual of milking you financially if you ask me.

On a side but similar note, did any other BU acceptances get little to no funding? brown06, you were so right. I was under the impression that they had some decent funding packages and teaching positions to cover tuition. They even want me to reserve my position by April 1 with a $200 down payment similar to the likes of PAFA and NYAA. What a low blow, I'm officailly turned off.

Has anyone at all gotten interviews for Columbia for Painting MFA, and what is the standard procedure for SVA, no interview needed? and whats the approx timeline for acc rej or interviews for them... (painting as well)

Edited by bulbasuarez

Has anyone at all gotten interviews for Columbia for Painting MFA, and what is the standard procedure for SVA, no interview needed? and whats the approx timeline for acc rej or interviews for them... (painting as well)

Yes, Columbia is interviewing painting at the end of March.

Ahhhhh! Got 2 acceptances today! After so much waiting in silence, it feels so great to have some news! I know people have been asking about Mills - I got a phone call acceptance today, so be on the lookout! I think someone else mentioned that they were called yesterday as well.

Though, for me, it looks like it's shaping up to be a lot of the smaller schools who are interested in my work - I'm not sure what that says about how I fit in the contemporary art world. Though to be honest, even if I did get into some of the bigger schools, I'm not sure how I would afford to go there . . . but it definitely gives me pause to think about my work and how it fits into the general scheme of things and why some of the bigger schools didn't respond to it. I don't know . . .

Regardless, best of luck to everyone who is still waiting! Keep your chins up! Just think, after almost a full year of planning for some of us, there is only a month or so left to go . . . it's kind of weird to think that either good or bad, one way or another, we'll at least have an answer . . .

Edited by miyamoto81

Just got word via email- waitlisted at UIC. (SIGH)

No acceptances as of yet, I am starting to think about what to do next year if I don't get in anywhere. Not encouraging.

Were you send the decision in the e-mail? Or did the message tell you to check the status on the UIC site? My status just says to wait for further updates. I figure their lack of speed in notifying me signifies a rejection.

I'm pretty sure that Tyler doesn't do interviews for painting, but they've sent emails to people who are "finalists". The "finalists" haven't been officially accepted, so conceivably some of them will get offers and some will be waitlisted? I'm not sure what that means for those of us who haven't heard anything one way or the other. Third-choice waitlist?

I know of some people have been accepted and rejected and have actually been notified. But both of those people were painting. Has anyone that applied for the sculpture program heard anything? Even just a finalist notification? My app status still says i have items outstanding, but the person in the admissions office told me that mine was "complete and under review" and that the Temple grad school updates that not Tyler itself. So obviously they are a little behind on notifications/updating. My new attitude is "I am not rejected til the school tells me themselves" even then i still might send them a rejection to their rejection letter.

dear wednesday,

please bring us some answers.

best wishes,

an anxious applicant

Knowing how hard it is still waiting on answers from 9 schools, I can only imagine how frustrated those who haven't heard anything must feel! So many assumed rejections... just tell us please!

Dear Mailbox,

Why do you mock me so with your emptiness?

This is the pattern day in and day out. More time in the studio. March is still young. Congratulations to all with good news so far.

So...MICA (Hoffberger Painting) sent me an email about a month ago saying they were sending my decision letter out on March 12 and that they "look forward to speaking with" me, and last week they sent me a city guide to Baltimore...but I know people have been interviewing there. What's the deal? Anyone else get that stuff? Wondering what's going on. Also, interviewed at SAIC this past weekend and heard that the rejection letters are the last thing to be sent out after the process is all said and done, so they won't be out until late March/early April. Is it pretty safe to say if you haven't heard from RISD/Columbia Painting it's a no-go? Trying to figure out my next move.

CalArts: Rejected

CCA: Accepted

Cranbrook: Interviewed/Accepted

SAIC: Interviewed/(waiting)

MICA: Mind Games

RISD:

Columbia: