MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

That is amazing! Congrads!!

Do you mind if I ask how you heard?

Thanks! I heard via email and should be expecting a letter in the mail soon. I emailed Chris Harring last week so he responded to that specific email.

Parsons is contacting waitlisted persons this week.

Just got an email.

will you accept if you get in off the waitlist? And if so, can I ask why in particular would you choose parsons over those other schools you got accepted to?

Thanks

WOW.... so 5 months later, 2.5 months after the waitlist letter, I get a letter from my top choice school: Accepted off the waitlist, with a fellowship and in-state tuition for both years. Possible TA-ship second semester.

floored. Well, I guess I know what to do now.

decision: Univ. Texas - Austin for Design.

YAY! just got into Parsons! Crazy! I wasn't even on the waitlist!!

how were you notified? by email haha:

in an overturning of our previous decision to reject you outright... we now accept you into the program!

will you go? I think I'm going

how were you notified? by email haha:

in an overturning of our previous decision to reject you outright... we now accept you into the program!

will you go? I think I'm going

lolz. yea email. not in those words but basically yea.

And yea I'm going! I don't really have any other choices to pick from and it is an amazing program with great faculty, otherwise I wouldn't have applied in the first place.

I'm assuming thers no funding at this point, but yea I'm going! Super excited. My plans totally changed in a random, unexpected email. Love these life moments. :D

Got into RCA off the reserve list, and GOING! Glad to finally be done with this process (about 1 month later than all yall)...

xo

awesome news! I've always wondered about their program. what's the funding and facilities like?

That's a nice a video! What a service to humanity it would be if every MFA program had the common decency to produce such a video so potential applicants didn't have to quit their jobs in order to have time to research potential programs.

If anyone else knows of any such videos, whether it's a program you are interested in or not, it might help others. Throw up a link. That would be very cool!!!

P.S. Congrats to everyone getting acceptances and making decisions. I hope you have a prosperous grad experience.

I just received an acceptance letter from SAIC. I am unsure if I will go though because of the cost and am thinking of applying to schools that offer better funding for next year. But I'm still weighing it as an option. I would LOVE to leave NYC for a bit and just focus on making work.

Does anyone know the average amount of debt from an SAIC MFA? What are some other job prospects beyond TAing a class @$12/hour?

Also I have just started interviewing at a major art museum for a great position that would advance my professional career (relevant to my first masters). I may end up shelling out the $500 tuition deposit to SAIC just to have some more time to decide while I go through the interview process for this job.

So much is happening all at once and so unexpectedly (I had given up on the idea of grad school for this year until receiving the letter yesterday).

I just received an acceptance letter from SAIC. I am unsure if I will go though because of the cost and am thinking of applying to schools that offer better funding for next year. But I'm still weighing it as an option. I would LOVE to leave NYC for a bit and just focus on making work.

Does anyone know the average amount of debt from an SAIC MFA? What are some other job prospects beyond TAing a class @$12/hour?

Also I have just started interviewing at a major art museum for a great position that would advance my professional career (relevant to my first masters). I may end up shelling out the $500 tuition deposit to SAIC just to have some more time to decide while I go through the interview process for this job.

So much is happening all at once and so unexpectedly (I had given up on the idea of grad school for this year until receiving the letter yesterday).

Debt is probably 40-50k in tuition and whatever living expenses you take out. Jobs are easy to get in the school, but they usually don't pay much (less than the TAs).

SAIC is really selective for photography too. I am in a photo seminar now so I hear some departmental gossip.

Museum experience can be really valuable though, I might go with that if you get the chance.

I agree with Michael - if you don't want to end up in that much debt, taking a museum job while working on your own stuff may give you more opportunity down the road.

Debt is probably 40-50k in tuition and whatever living expenses you take out. Jobs are easy to get in the school, but they usually don't pay much (less than the TAs).

SAIC is really selective for photography too. I am in a photo seminar now so I hear some departmental gossip.

Museum experience can be really valuable though, I might go with that if you get the chance.

SAIC. If you go there, the goal wouldn't be to sink, it would be just the opposite. If you think you have what it takes to make the best work possible and get the most out of such an amazing program, you go. You got in because they saw potential and they felt they could work with you. It's SAIC's goal to have a student go on to do big things (makes their school more successful). With the big things comes $$, you can pay the loans back. Don't be a rabbit. Also, don't let your ego get in the way because you were accepted off the waitling list (maybe it didn't, but just saying). Christ, look at my list!

I hope you go.

• 1 month later...

Oh my gosh!

I think for painting it will be fine. I've never regretted going for the money in grad school.

When I went to notify Davis of my decision, they changed my funding again so my final decision ended up being Davis.

For future applicants, I really was not expecting to deal with competing offers but if you are patient it can work out fine and in your favor too! I wish I had applied more selectively and visited more schools.

• 1 month later...

I am a bit early, but... how about anyone applying for 2013?

I am applying to (painting):

• Stanford

• Berkley

• Mills

• UCLA

• UCSD

• Cal Arts

• Cornell University

Getting excited!