MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

HI!

Painting people at Tyler--- I am confused. What does being a 'finalist' mean? I called them today and they said they are mailing notifications out via snail mail in batches.

I got an interview at SAIC! Very exciting!

Cool, this is all exciting/nerve racking.

He guys,

I've been admited to SAIC without having to be interviewed (MFA performance): As I live in Montreal it is a relief but (I'll probably go visit the school because Chicago is an awesome place!!!)... any of you guys admitted to SAIC heard about scholarship or anything?

'grats to every1!

HI!

Painting people at Tyler--- I am confused. What does being a 'finalist' mean? I called them today and they said they are mailing notifications out via snail mail in batches.

I got an interview at SAIC! Very exciting!

Cool, this is all exciting/nerve racking.

Oh congratulations for SAIC! Did you get a letter?

He guys,

I've been admited to SAIC without having to be interviewed (MFA performance): As I live in Montreal it is a relief but (I'll probably go visit the school because Chicago is an awesome place!!!)... any of you guys admitted to SAIC heard about scholarship or anything?

'grats to every1!

Only performance admits students without an interview (ironically, why not make them perform for it?) and I don't think anyone else on here applied to performance. I know they will send a finacial aid letter eventually, but I don't know if they tell who gets the free-ride in the acceptance letter or the financial aid letter.

congrats allenm82!

Hey-- don't assume you didn't get into Tyler. I called them today to see what the deal was. The are still in the process of sending out notifications for the MFA in Painting. They do it in batches, so don't loose hope!

Oh, okay, thank god. I was really bummed about it because they had lost my transcripts so I overnighted them and they just got them Wednesday. I was convinced they'd rejected me because of that and they're one of my top choices! I feel so much better now, haha

Edited by gouache

I just got a call from University of Iowa letting me know I have been accepted. Whoa! Their application was due on February 1st. I wish they all had that kind of turn around!

Congradulations, this is an excellent program.

snapback.pngbicoastal, on 10 February 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

I just got a call from University of Iowa letting me know I have been accepted. Whoa! Their application was due on February 1st. I wish they all had that kind of turn around!

Congradulations, this is an excellent program.

I second that. For printmaking, it's probably better than any of the other of your remaining schools. So you're in good shape!

ME TOO! but for sculpture, they also offered me a TA position and the possibility of their fellowship(the committee meets on the 17th)

:) YAY

(it was my backup school!)

For the sake of transparency, let's get this straight. According to the Council of Graduate Schools (here: http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGS_Resolution.pdf), if you are accepted to multiple universities, no university giving aid on the list is allowed to get a FINAL decision from you until after April the 15th?

So hypothetically:

-You apply to 9 colleges

-4 of which have not responded yet and will not until April

-5 different colleges accept you offering funding, one of which is saying that you must respond before March the 7th or there is no deal.

You can technically accept this offer and the other offers, as long as they know and are abiding by the Council of Graduate School rules of the April 15th deadline being the binding contract for final offers.

Any input would be appreciated because I'm sure more than one of us is in a similar situation. Thanks.

For the sake of transparency, let's get this straight. According to the Council of Graduate Schools (here: http://www.cgsnet.or..._Resolution.pdf), if you are accepted to multiple universities, no university giving aid on the list is allowed to get a FINAL decision from you until after April the 15th?

So hypothetically:

-You apply to 9 colleges

-5 different colleges accept you offering funding, one of which is saying that you must respond before March the 7th or there is no deal.

You can technically accept this offer and the other offers, as long as they know and are abiding by the Council of Graduate School rules of the April 15th deadline being the binding contract for final offers.

Any input would be appreciated because I'm sure more than one of us is in a similar situation. Thanks.

Have you emailed the school about it? Some sort of "Blah blah This is what I heard about April 15 - I have a few offers from other schools and want time to consider them, etc etc" I mean if a school accepts you and gives you fundz, they want you, and showing them that they have competition can help you financially. Also showing them that you know what's up can't hurt.

But I'm pretty sure that, technically and legally, you've got till April 15.

For the sake of transparency, let's get this straight. According to the Council of Graduate Schools (here: http://www.cgsnet.or..._Resolution.pdf), if you are accepted to multiple universities, no university giving aid on the list is allowed to get a FINAL decision from you until after April the 15th?

So hypothetically:

-You apply to 9 colleges

had a professor explain it to me.

If the school is apart of the council of graduate schools they legally cant force you into a decision before April 15th.

You can tell the school asking for a decision that you are aware of the April 15th deadline and they should agree to wait. schools pushing you to accept before hand are banking on the fact that your not aware of the deadline.

I'm sure waiting until april 15th makes things harder on some schools that have different internal deadlines. rushed paper work, etc.

I have the same question. Besides the e-portfolio that we submit, does everyone think we should bring more works other than the portfolio?

A couple questions for those with pending interviews: Have schools requested specific work to be shown to them at the interview? Has anyone been asked to bring work in progress?