MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

At least you dont run the risk of being told at an interview "your job sounds so interesting, dont you think you might profit from sticking with it for a few years?"

one of my interviewers told me "they don't usually take students right out of undergrad" ( I graduated in December)

--- it can be taken both ways

one of my interviewers told me "they don't usually take students right out of undergrad" ( I graduated in December)

Ohh yes, i got that response too, last year. I dont think these comments came with bad intentions, but that doesnt make them what i want to hear!

Congratulationssss OutWest!!! Im so happy for you :) :)

Congrats! Happy for you, best of luck!

That's awesome OutWest...congratulations!!!

Congratulationssss OutWest!!! Im so happy for you :) :)

Thank you guys so much! It is a pleasure to have such an awesome virtual support group during this circus. You guys are awesome.

And, of course, here's hoping EVERYONE gets good news the rest of these weeks.

I'm not going to feel pity for the college professors who work three days a week, 30 weeks of the year and have benefits just because they have to go to a meeting once in a while or critique some artwork. Yeah I know the ones starting out don't have benefits and the pay sucks, but I'm at the top of the heap in my industry and I don't get squat. I have to go to work sick if I can't find someone else to work for me. That's why I'm in such a hurry to get to the bottom of their heap.

College professors work a lot more than it may look on paper. I don't know any who work as little as you mentioned. It is by no means an easy job to do well, and they get paid little for how much schooling is required. But I know nothing about bar tending, so I can't compare.

Two years ago when I interviewed at Tyler they told me they usually don't even look at applicants from Philadelphia.

I chuckled at that for a while. It made no sense to me AT ALL.

we all need to keep in mind that these "ART STAR" professors are only humans. sometimes the last thing they want to do is look at another god damn piece of crap art. Trust me I work with them everyday, they spill their guts over beers at the the end of semester!

Edited by berto

I hope they are seriously considering you and didn't just waste your time and money to go to the interview.

They take you seriously. Its just that students straight out of undergrad usually haven't developed as much as those that have had to make artwork and hold jobs outside of the academic environment. But a couple of younger ones get in every year.

Yeah I kind of agree. I mean, I suppose if you have an incredible portfolio it is certainly possible to transcend this limitation, but you're right in saying; why wouldn't they choose someone with an equally strong portfolio as you, but who is also versed in the world of fine-art academia? I have a BS in film (UT Austin's undergrad film program is in the communications college), and I was kind of worried about that after looking at a lot of fine-art photographers CVs, and seeing that the overwhelming majority had BFAs or BAs. Most of them were actually in photography, though there were some other fine arts disciplines represented as well.

I feel like in many cases they really want someone who speaks the language of the contemporary art world because they are most likely to become a sucessful artist, and that is best found in someone who holds a BFA. I'm sure there are notable exceptions though...

I am serious that most schools, especially the "top ranked" ones, prefer someone with experience outside of the artworld (ex. no BFA). Its just that its difficult to compete with those that spent 4 years with professors developing as an artist. I would agree with The Zane that a BA in art may hurt a little, but its really your artwork and your ability to write and interview well that matters 98%. If your work is influenced by your past experiences in philosophy, science, history, psychology, etc. then you are really a golden candidate, because your knowledge of two fields (art and ___) can make for exciting artwork. A few schools may be wary of people wihout BFAs, but mostly its an advantage.

Take, for example, Gordon Matta Clark. If he was an applicant to an MFA program, his past experiences in Architecture validate his work in a way that having a BFA wouldn't. He would probably get in either way, but it makes since and gives his work a narrative arc, his move away from traditional architecture to begin cutting it.

If your not taking advantage of your past experiences in that way in your own work, maybe it should be a consideration. Thats why I love Clarita's photos. She is using the spaces and experiences from a crap (or maybe awesome?) job to make compelling work.

I'm feeling a huge disadvantage going for an MFA without a previous art degree even though most schools don't require it.

then you'll be what is known as fairly humble, which is always a plus for tutors - they love people coming in tangenitally anyway, i've seen people wander in to the office with a couple of polariods and a music background and been accepted - completely outwith the application process, they really do like a wild card in their cohort.

btw - what is this University of Edinburgh Moca thing ? masters of computer animation ?

got an mfa acceptance - but as ever, the other 50% is going to be about funding - its proving the same old hurdle, but I do enjoy the process up to then :)

was kind of worried about that after looking at a lot of fine-art photographers CVs, and seeing that the overwhelming majority had BFAs or BAs. Most of them were actually in photography,

you're kidding me, taryn simon, tierney gearon ? both at the top of their game, no mfa, bfa or anything.

Edited by thisandthat

Off topic, but I thought I would share - I hope no one minds.

I went to a Toronto art fair on the weekend and found myself at the booth of a young woman who had just finished her BFA. I was quite taken with her work, and I picked up a piece ( I liked it, and I had the money - esp. since I am counting on not getting in to a Master's - bring on the iPad 3 and a new car!!! LOL). She dropped the piece off yesterday, and between Saturday (paying for the painting) and Wednesday (receiving the work) I did some research on her work.

I was blown away.

Her portfolio was so diverse. She showed skill in many areas, and her work, IMO, had a great deal of depth - conceptually.

I got to thinking, maybe I'm just not ready. Maybe I need to spend another year really pushing myself outside of my comfort zone and paint and sculpt, maybe even shoot and printmake. Maybe I just need to really work hard and explore. It seems to me, she eked every drop of learning and experience out of her BFA. I did not. Perhaps I'm just not ready to get what she got out of her Bachelor's out of my Master's. Maybe I need to cut back on my work hours and double up on studio time.

And perhaps I'm just trying to soften the blow of rejection.

I hope everyone has a fruitful day and the letter are filled with YES-es and financial packages.

http://erinloree.blogspot.com/

(I am hoping she doesn't mind - LOL)

It's kind of a strange coincidence because I stumbled upon this same person's work within the past week and I'm from the midwest. I really like her work.

It's kind of a strange coincidence because I stumbled upon this same person's work within the past week and I'm from the midwest. I really like her work.

That's pretty cool to hear. Maybe I should do more than use her level of productivity as an inspiration, but I should also get her to help me market.

I am serious that most schools, especially the "top ranked" ones, prefer someone with experience outside of the artworld (ex. no BFA). Its just that its difficult to compete with those that spent 4 years with professors developing as an artist. I would agree with The Zane that a BA in art may hurt a little, but its really your artwork and your ability to write and interview well that matters 98%. If your work is influenced by your past experiences in philosophy, science, history, psychology, etc. then you are really a golden candidate, because your knowledge of two fields (art and ___) can make for exciting artwork. A few schools may be wary of people wihout BFAs, but mostly its an advantage.

Take, for example, Gordon Matta Clark. If he was an applicant to an MFA program, his past experiences in Architecture validate his work in a way that having a BFA wouldn't. He would probably get in either way, but it makes since and gives his work a narrative arc, his move away from traditional architecture to begin cutting it.

If your not taking advantage of your past experiences in that way in your own work, maybe it should be a consideration. Thats why I love Clarita's photos. She is using the spaces and experiences from a crap (or maybe awesome?) job to make compelling work.

Hmmm well, I don't know. It's anectodal evidence at best, I just feel like that's what I see usually. I could of course be wrong, and of course there are exceptions.

Edited by Hindinwood

was kind of worried about that after looking at a lot of fine-art photographers CVs, and seeing that the overwhelming majority had BFAs or BAs. Most of them were actually in photography,

you're kidding me, taryn simon, tierney gearon ? both at the top of their game, no mfa, bfa or anything.

Right, and I definitely don't think you can't be a sucessful artist without an MFA, although I would argue that it's less likely than if you do have one. I'm just saying that I suspect it would weigh in your favor for admissions at many schools. Again, I've never worked in an admissions office, so maybe I'm wrong....

Hmmm well, I don't know. It's anectodal evidence at best, I just feel like that's what I see usually. I could of course be wrong, and of course there are exceptions.

I know, that is what we all see usually, because 95% or more of the MFA applicants have a BFA. And most of those applicants that don't have a BFA shouldn't be applying to MFA programs. But of those who don't have BFA's, yet have great work, are actually in a very good position having cred outside the art field.

@FattleCattle: Goodness no! Go for it! I mean, seriously??? Lol...if it's a program you really like, and there are terrific people there, why in the world would you NOT jump at the chance at a FREE top art program with extra funding. It's a no brainer. Go.

Fattlecattle,

I think it depends on your personality and on what kind of job you are looking for. You may be surprised how many fine art faculty come from non-"top ten" schools. If I were you, I would look at the websites of all of the schools that you are impressed by, then look at the faculty profiles and see where they got their MFAs. You may be surprised.

Overall (this seems to be agreed upon here on this forum) your future success will depend on the quality of your work and the extent of your accomplishments (exhibitions, etc.). Full funding + stipend is nothing to take lightly!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

ok just got admitted to rutgers (by email), um why are they saying we have to decide by April 2nd? Did anyone else get a letter saying that, apparently it's because of studio assignments?)

Yes, that is a problem, isn't it? Most schools won't have decisions out until the end of the month...

Congratulations though!

ok just got admitted to rutgers (by email), um why are they saying we have to decide by April 2nd? Did anyone else get a letter saying that, apparently it's because of studio assignments?)

Yes, I received the same info. I even asked them about finding out about funding and they said that some people may not find out if they are funded until after the April 2nd deadline. Not really sure what to do about it.

Did anyone else get an email from UCLA talking about Summer Programs? Reminded me of that damn Columbia email.

Yes, I got the same email! F*ckers.

Now I'M the whiney one! Haha. Seriously though - I have had a somewhat similar experience to yours (just to a lesser degree). Even if nothing works out for me I can take solace that there are people who I can relate to who are being successful. Good luck to you.

Sympatico, I think we all do our fair share of whining on here - my point is that it's hard to compare ourselves to each other at times because we are all in different places in life. I've been in the position of being rejected, and in all honesty, I doubt that I won't feel the sting of it in the future. A life of an artist is filled with rejection: from grad schools, to grant applications, to show proposals, to gallery representation. As corny as it sounds, we have to be the ones who believe in what we do, even if no one else does. That's our commitment to our work and to our careers. Does it mean it doesn't fucking suck at times? No, of course not. But don't lose heart.

Just a quick story: I met the artist Peter Saul at one point and he said that he started doing his form of painting in the late 60's and no one wanted to touch him. It took him 30+ years to get to the point he's at now with his visibility. But he was committed to his work. After the door slams in all our faces at one point or another, we have to ask ourselves how much we are dedicated to our work and how much we are willing to go through to see that it leaves its mark.

But it doesn't mean it doesn't fucking suck in the meantime.

Oh no! I hope i didnt make you feel bad! i think im just stuck in recruitment mode as I worked in the admissions office during much of my time there..haha. did they offer a ta-ing position? I know they do for sculpture/ceramics, with an living stipend, but that could just be for those departments that are a bit more sparse than the eia program. Im sure where ever you go you'll blow them away!

Uke, nah it's all good. Like I said, I think I made the right decision. It's just hard to turn down a fully funded program in hopes that something else might turn up. They said they offer all their grad students the same deal - tuition reimbursement with a small stipend. I'm not sure about TAing. But thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it! :)

Hi there, yesterday I got an acceptance email from MICA! I'm so happy!!!

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations Song, that's awesome! :)

Wow...just got accepted to UCLA's mighty Media Arts MFA...I still can't believe they even wanted to interview me!

Much love to you all.

Congratulations to you as well, OutWest! That's an awesome program, so happy for you!

@FattleCattle: Goodness no! Go for it! I mean, seriously??? Lol...if it's a program you really like, and there are terrific people there, why in the world would you NOT jump at the chance at a FREE top art program with extra funding. It's a no brainer. Go.

What program were they questioning? Their post was already deleted (must be real shy).

Thanks man. The fire is hotter than ever and there are some things that I find very exciting developing in my work. Unfortunately I'm sort of anti- establishment and I'm afraid I am just going to go farther towards the margins. Maybe grad school isn't where I belong anyway. I think I should change my name, burn my BFA, move to the hills of Kentucky, and try to make a go at it as an outsider artist.

I've gotten all rejections so far too, safety school included. And it's my third try. Wicked depressing but also kind of motivating.

Did you ever see the King of the Hill episode where Peggy is "discovered" as an outsider artist? It's kind of amazing.