MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I think I may have misinterpreted it. Not sure really how an interview for a TA position is run. I was just trying to come up with some points that they may be interested in. Of course it is to learn how to teach, but being prepared and knowing what kind of things you'll be learning can never hurt.

I think if you can talk knowledgeably about the things you posted you would kick ass in the interview.

I think that most of the people at UTK had little teaching or no teaching experience when they were accepted.

Since we're talking about SO's, my boyfriend got into UPenn and today he got into MassArt. He's at his interview for Cranbrook today. We're mostly likely living apart for the whole grad school process.

Also, no news for me today so far. Really hoping for an acceptance to one of the schools I'm waiting on!!

for which program??

Since we're talking about SO's, my boyfriend got into UPenn and today he got into MassArt. He's at his interview for Cranbrook today. We're mostly likely living apart for the whole grad school process.

Also, no news for me today so far. Really hoping for an acceptance to one of the schools I'm waiting on!!

I think I may have misinterpreted it. Not sure really how an interview for a TA position is run. I was just trying to come up with some points that they may be interested in. Of course it is to learn how to teach, but being prepared and knowing what kind of things you'll be learning can never hurt.

I am also interviewing in Wisconsin that day. It says in the email that it's a 25 minute interview with 5-10 minutes of you explaining your work and showing them images. That means that we're really only up for about 15 minutes or so of chatting about how you would like to teach. I have a lot of teaching experience and I know that writing the Teaching Philosophy paper they asked for will be hard because it's hard to describe a methodology for something that is so greatly based on the students, assignments and materials/techniques being taught. I think what will help you and I is the course proposal they asked us to make. I would propose a course that you feel really knowledgeable about and think of a couple of assignments that would fit into the curriculum. Once you do that, it should be pretty straightforward to decide what kind of teacher you would like to be, and how you would teach that particular curriculum. I'm sure you'll do fine, and if you want to talk further, berto, you can message me and we can chat about interview anxieties! Hope to see you in Madison!

Feeling like not hearing anything from MassArt yet is not the best news.

hey leetimko - don't give up hope yet! I just received an acceptance email from MassArt, and in the letter they ask that a response be given promptly so that waitlisted candidates can have a chance. My guess is that if you interviewed, you're on the waitlist.

that being said, maybe an email is on the way for you!

hey leetimko - don't give up hope yet! I just received an acceptance email from MassArt, and in the letter they ask that a response be given promptly so that waitlisted candidates can have a chance. My guess is that if you interviewed, you're on the waitlist.

that being said, maybe an email is on the way for you!

Thanks lfwd! I am still hopeful! I need to just keep painting and stop thinking about it so much. Congrats on your acceptance, and to BU!

I emailed Wendy a few days ago to see if we could still expect decisions by March 10 and she said "Yes, I expect decisions to be this week." My impression during the interview was that you get a phone call if you're admitted and a snail mail letter if not.

I just got an email from her saying that the "committee is still deliberating" so I guess thats a good thing.

Chris

http://www.christopherkeiper.com

How so?

Well... my grad school application prep was a little weird. I thought (due to personal reasons) that I would be restricted geographically, but that situation changed mid-December (thankfully), so I very quickly generated a new list of schools. My research of the programs and their deadlines was rushed and crazy. There were a few that I already knew I wanted to apply to, but the rest (UIC included) were additions that I hadn't yet looked into.

I decided to apply to UIC on the day the app was due for the 'priority' deadline (Dec 15). Most of my best work (sculpture) was not yet documented properly, so I simply didn't include a lot of it, and I submitted some horrible photographs of the rest (a bad photo can be a great injustice to any work of art). My statement of intent was also pieced together at the last-minute from a few essays and statements that I had previously written.

It was worth applying, though. I knew it was a crapshoot, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to at least try to get in. I was more prepared for the rest of the applications that I completed in January.

-----------

Also... I received my official hard copy of my admissions letter from CCA today, but still no word on funding. Have any of you heard about when they might contact us about that?

Tell me about it! I'm going crazy! Please tell me something to do outside of making art to make the time go faster (while still being able to check email of course!)

drink or go for a hike!

That's an interesting subject to discuss in this process, being that most of us are applying to schools over multiple geographic regions and have family/partners. I know my partner wanted to stay in NYC so she is very excited that the only two interviews I got were here lol! She has been really great in being supportive of hearing me complain and stress... And having to hear me talk about gradcafe all day long!

So glad there are a few people going through the same! I guess I assumed most people on here were either single, married, or do long distance. In addition to my boyfriend, I also have to pack up my Great Dane. My boyfriend has also been supremely supportive. I'm so excited for my/our new adventure!

What??!! Columbia has sent out interview requests?.........is it just for painting or all concentrations?

from what I remember reading, one or two forum members claim receiving an interview request for sculpture or new genres, and one person claimed an interview for painting... thats it.

Is there anyone out there applying who never got a BFA?

It's interesting what Mr. Sad was saying... I took some art courses as an undergrad but never got a degree. I've been painting and showing my work for twenty years but after having a recent discussion with one of my old profs. I'm feeling a huge disadvantage going for an MFA without a previous art degree even though most schools don't require it.

Was wondering if anyone out there could add perspective to this.

Just got another rejection...UNH

I have a BA with an undeclared major (studied art and music). I applied to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's MFA two years ago. They admitted me as a "prior degree student" into their BFA program. It really didn't make sense. For the same amount of money, I got my MA in a year and a half and re-applied to MFA programs for this year. I was accepted to NIU and I'm still awaiting a response from two other schools. Hopefully I'll get in somewhere.

Edited by tv321