PhD applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

TheHymenAnnihilator

Just got into University of Denver/Iliff School of Theology with full tuition after I resigned myself to Plan B! Such exciting news! But my heart really goes out to those not hearing such good news... I was very close to that point and felt the devastation.

Congrats! At this point I'm 90% sure I am going to have to go with my plan B. I haven't heard from my top 2 schools, and we are atypically late in the application season for me not to have heard anything from these two particular schools. I'm holding on to a bit of hope, but it is diminishing as every week passes with no word. I'm glad that you got the program you were hoping for. You'll have to take class with Tink Tinker while you're there. I've read some of his Native American Political/Ecological work, and it is fantastic.

Emailed Harvard and Emory about when I'd hear back. Harvard said all the letters would be mailed out by next week. Emory hasn't responded yet.

Viel Glück! I hope you get some good news.

I still haven't heard from UCLA. My expectation is that they will notify me the last week of March, which is what they told me back in January. If I get rejected, which is obviously possible, I'll be headed to Yale for my back up Masters program.

Edited by jwhite

Hope its ok that I am posting. My husband is applying to PhD programs in religion (Islamic Studies/Comparative Religion) but I am way more anxious about where he gets in because it'll mean our family is re-locating. I'm proud of him either way but still running to check our mailbox everyday. I would like to move to Cali but funding doesn't look so great there :(

Stanford rejection came via email late February

CGU acceptance with 31% funding came via email, letter and phone call on March 9th (around 4:30 pm)

UCSB acceptance with an unclear comment on "no funding" came via email and letter March 9th

Still waiting on Harvard (Religion) and UC Irvine (Anthropology). Do you think those programs have already sent out their acceptance letters?

Hope its ok that I am posting. My husband is applying to PhD programs in religion (Islamic Studies/Comparative Religion) but I am way more anxious about where he gets in because it'll mean our family is re-locating. I'm proud of him either way but still running to check our mailbox everyday. I would like to move to Cali but funding doesn't look so great there :(

Stanford rejection came via email late February

CGU acceptance with 31% funding came via email, letter and phone call on March 9th (around 4:30 pm)

UCSB acceptance with an unclear comment on "no funding" came via email and letter March 9th

Still waiting on Harvard (Religion) and UC Irvine (Anthropology). Do you think those programs have already sent out their acceptance letters?

Harvard has notified its admits. Be happy that you can relocate with him, I have colleagues who's spouses are doing PhD's across the country from them.

Turned down by Harvard on Monday. Called Emory and they let me know today that I was first in line, but that their three initial offers of admission were accepted. That leaves only Oxford's DPhil, but we won't be able to afford it if I am accepted. That's the end of the dream for me. Don't think we'll be able to afford to do this again.

The Harvard rejection letter came on Monday stating he was a runner up.

UC-Irvine's acceptance letter came on Monday but only 30% funding.

So it looks like he got into the Cali schools. Too bad California is bankrupt and has terrible funding.

Maklelan, we've been talking to current students at the the California schools that offer no upfront funding or very little upfront funding. We keep getting feedback that they eventually got very good funding by applying for fellowships, outside scholarships and teaching positions. Of course it is stressful to not know up front what kind of funding you'll get but if no/little upfront funding is all we get, we are still determined to chase this dream. I hope you achieve your dream as well.

Turned down by Harvard on Monday. Called Emory and they let me know today that I was first in line, but that their three initial offers of admission were accepted. That leaves only Oxford's DPhil, but we won't be able to afford it if I am accepted. That's the end of the dream for me. Don't think we'll be able to afford to do this again.

don't give up!

Do not assume that non-EU students never get funding. I wish you the best of luck. W.

Do not assume that non-EU students never get funding. I wish you the best of luck. W.

We're holding out hope, but my application went in with the last gathered field, which means there's much less funding available. I tend to hope for the best while planning for the worst, but I appreciate the encouragement.

Are there anyone here who have been accepted to Emory's program who have yet to make their decision? It seems that there are still a few out there who have not given their final answer to their directors, keeping things in suspense for those of us still alive on the waitlist. There's only 10 days left until the deadline, so please make your decision soon.

Are there anyone here who have been accepted to Emory's program who have yet to make their decision? It seems that there are still a few out there who have not given their final answer to their directors, keeping things in suspense for those of us still alive on the waitlist. There's only 10 days left until the deadline, so please make your decision soon.

I agree! With less than a week to go, I hope to be accepted off a waitlist (or even rejected) SOONER rather than later so I know what my options are.

I had the naive vision that since yesterday was April 15th I would either be put out of my wretched condition by removal from the wait lists I'm on, or by some miracle be accepted into one of the programs. Of course, nothing has happened and I am living in limbo.

I had a friend yesterday just find out he got off a wait-list, so don't give up all hope yet.

Well, I was accepted to Oxford's DPhil this morning. Just waiting to hear on funding, which will have to be substantial for us to be able to afford to go. At least I didn't get turned down across the board this year.

Well, congratulations anyway! I really hope you get the funding you need :) Fingers crossed on your behalf.