Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Due to public demand, this is a new thread for a new application season.

So come on - bring all your anxiety and impatience here! :unsure:

Some UBC programs have a Dec 1st deadline. Anyone else started their wait already?

• 3 weeks later...

My deadlines are December 15 (Toronto University) and January 15 (Wilfrid Laurier University)...

This is my second year of graduate applications. Hopefully this year I get off the waitlist and into a program!

My deadlines are Dec 1 (UBC - already submitted a long time ago) and Jan 10 (York - will submit next week).

I'm also trying for American programs, but really really hope to get into one of the Canadians. This is my second year, too. Last time I was waitlisted in York.

I wrote this post before but I didn't receive any answer. Have you/your friends applied to any McMaster Eng. Dept. for Winter 2012 and heard anything so far. I applied to ECE last week of Oct. but My status is still saying "all documents are received...". i.e, no change from Nov. Thanks!

Edited by baer

I applied to UBC's MAAPPS programs :D I applied 2 weeks ago, but my transcripts haven't arrived yet and my professors haven't sent my letters of rec :( But luckily my deadline is January 15th.

Good luck to us all.

To those internationals applying to UBC, has anyone found their application requirements ridiculous? As an international I have to mail a total of 4 transcripts and even after this absurd requirement I just read today on their website that in addition to having my TOEFL mailed by ETS, I need to mail a photocopy!!! I don't even have a hard copy of my TOEFL results and this notice was in the bottom of a page! and why on earth would they need me to mail another copy if they have an original one mailed by ETS is beyond me. :blink:

I'm starting to even consider not submitting my application there. :angry:

To those internationals applying to UBC, has anyone found their application requirements ridiculous?

Just to put this into perspective, international applicants always have to jump through extra hoops no matter where they are from. I am applying to a UK university, and they are making me take the TOEFL even though I grew up in (Western) Canada and have graduate degrees from a number of English-speaking universities. By the way, UBC is a pretty good school--at least I liked it when I was there. Good luck...

Just to put this into perspective, international applicants always have to jump through extra hoops no matter where they are from. I am applying to a UK university, and they are making me take the TOEFL even though I grew up in (Western) Canada and have graduate degrees from a number of English-speaking universities. By the way, UBC is a pretty good school--at least I liked it when I was there. Good luck...

I know that UBC is a great school, that's why I'm applying there and I know that internationals have to do more work but some applications are more tolerable than others. For instance, Waterloo didn't require anything mailed, others asked for some mailed stuff but UBC's requirements are just too much. I mean they want 4 transcripts and they want them in sealed endorsed envelopes and this is just not how things work on my end of the world. No other university has asked for 4 transcripts. Mind you UBC has so many detailed instructions on mailing transcripts that fill about a page. But most bizarre of all is asking me to mail a photocopy of my TOEFL requirement and this requirement is also unique to UBC and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Good luck to you to :)

It wasn't that long ago, actually only a couple of years ago, when all documentation had to be sealed and certified for all institutions. This meant that you had to have all your schools, referees, and ETS send their documents in sealed (and signed) envelopes. It's still true that this is a requirement for schools that you successfully are admitted to.

I'm just finishing up my last two Canadian apps, the waiting has begun for the other five programs.

I've been neurotically checking the tracking status of the two packages that have been stuck in customs in Vancouver for over a week <_< Luckily the deadlines for those packages are over a month away but I want them to get there asap!

• 2 weeks later...

U of T, McGill, and Western. I've heard McGill notifies really late, so I'm hoping there isn't going to be a stressful conflict with deadlines to accept/decline when I haven't heard back from others. That is assuming I get any offers to accept/decline...!

I've applied to UofT, York and Ryerson for the MSW advanced standing. First time applying. I have to say, all of you who are doing this for the second time, I really admire your determination!

Is anyone familiar with how admission committees begin the selection process? Do they look at applications as they receive them or do they rank them first?? I'm driving myself (and my husband) crazy with speculation.

Good luck to you all :)

I've applied to UofT, York and Ryerson for the MSW advanced standing. First time applying. I have to say, all of you who are doing this for the second time, I really admire your determination!

Is anyone familiar with how admission committees begin the selection process? Do they look at applications as they receive them or do they rank them first?? I'm driving myself (and my husband) crazy with speculation.

Good luck to you all :)

I am applying for the 2-year at UofT and Laurier. I also applied last year (only to UofT) and made the waitlist. Hopefully this year will be better, haha. Anyways, at the open house I went to for UofT, they said they do not look at the bulk of applications until all are in. They start to calculate GPAs earlier, however they are probably just starting to assess applications now.

I found out I was waitlisted on April 14th last year. York seems to be a bit later (according to the results section here) and the only MSW from Ryerson was accepted on February 22nd last year. The advanced standing acceptances at UofT went out earlier last year, around mid March. We have a while to wait.

Good luck to you :)

ladybug3, thanks for this response! I wish I had gone to the info sessions but unfortunately missed them due to schedule conflicts. Did they mention whether they review ALL applications or do they automatically discard those that are weak in a specific area (ie/ a weak gpa)? Like most applicants, I'm probably overly focused on the area that I think is weak in my own application. It would just be awful to have done all of that work on the statement of purpose only to find out that they didn't even read it.

For the two year program, do you have to pick a stream (ie/mental health, gerontology)? It must be very competitive. Good for you to have gotten on the waitlist--that tells you that you are 'in', just not enough spots. Did you contact them after you found out on how to strengthen you app this time around?

Again, thanks for your response. Good luck to you, although it sounds like you will do just fine :)

I am applying for the 2-year at UofT and Laurier. I also applied last year (only to UofT) and made the waitlist. Hopefully this year will be better, haha. Anyways, at the open house I went to for UofT, they said they do not look at the bulk of applications until all are in. They start to calculate GPAs earlier, however they are probably just starting to assess applications now.

I found out I was waitlisted on April 14th last year. York seems to be a bit later (according to the results section here) and the only MSW from Ryerson was accepted on February 22nd last year. The advanced standing acceptances at UofT went out earlier last year, around mid March. We have a while to wait.

Good luck to you :)