Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

I know, right?? From the email: "I am also pleased to be able to initially offer you [...] $3,500 per year. You will need to cover tuition costs, which in 2011–2012 were $4,264 per academic year. Please also note that you are eligible to apply for a Teaching Assistantship (TA) [...] Some members of our faculty may be able to offer you Research Assistant (RA) position(s) as well."

LOL!!!

What on earth? Are they missing a zero on the end of that $3,500? :wacko:Plus tuition? Geez.

fuckthat.jpg

I'm waiting for UBC's reply to my Master of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) application.

I'm an international student and would really appreciate an early reply.

Is it normal for faculty staffs not to update the online application page status? I had submitted all paper documents in early december 2011 and the online status still remains as documents "not received". I panicked a little and email Faculty of Applied Science, Mechanical Engineering department to ask if they have received my paper documents.

A kind staff replied that they have received so many applications that they have stop updating the online application page.

I'm still waiting. Does anyone have an idea how long the wait is going to be for UBC's Faculty of Applied Science, Mechanical Engineering?

Thank you.

I've applied to the University of Toronto's Information Science MI program. I only got my application in this past Sunday, so I don't expect to hear back any sooner than March. I'm prepared to wait until May, though it shouldn't be that long. I'd be international if I went to UToronto, so I've also applied in-country to the University of Illinois, which is my first choice. But Toronto is a close second. The only difference in the two for me is cost - Illinois is in-state for me, so it's much much cheaper. If I magically get great funding for UToronto it will be a hard decision to make. Does anyone have any experience with UToronto grad programs and international student funding? I would assume that they would give funding to domestic students first.

I'm a bit nervous about only applying to two schools. I have a third school whose applications are not due until June (!!) so I'm okay if I get rejected from both. I don't think it will happen, but the minute I think I've got in for certain is the minute I'll get rejected. Crossing my fingers for luck! :)

Edited by CrayolaBee

Really, how it happened because the person said me that the committee has met last week on wednesday and on thursday. They are doing last "yes/no" process. It is very interesting, indeed it is not my top choice.

I'm not sure to be honest; I'm getting a lot of admission news right now via friends' Facebooks, but I'll ask her! Evidently they want to hear back from her by March 1st, which seems pretty soon to me.

Waiting on three applications

UBC Zoology - deadline was Feb 1

UofT EEB - deadline was Jan 15th

U. New Brunswick Biology - always accepting applications, submitted mine Jan 15th

If any one hears from these programs, please post!

This could be hearsay, but the professor at U of T I've been in contact with basically said for Canadian students that if they find a professor that is willing to take them on and meet the minimum requirements (which seem actually kind of high as far as minimum requirements go), they get in. But for International students, the competition is tougher because they have a limited number of international spots.

Don't waste your time with Waterloo's MPS programme. While the students are of a high calibre, you'll get a lot more out of a political science degree. We have a co-op student here from the MPS programme who's seriously regretting not going a more traditional MA route. Lower cost, same co-op opportunities.

Does anyone have any experience with UToronto grad programs and international student funding? I would assume that they would give funding to domestic students first

I'm at U of T now, albeit in a different field. My experience has been that each program guarantees a minimum level of funding (for some programs that minimum level is $0) and all students get that. I don't really think they go above or beyond that even for competitive applicants.

Hey, I applied to the same program at Ryerson. I haven't heard anything back just yet, and going by last year's results survey, it looks like we should hear back in early March.

I myself am waiting on Ryerson's PhD in Policy Studies programme. Has anyone on this forum heard about acceptances for any of the Policy Studies, Public Admin, or Poli Sci programmes?

Hey, I applied to the same program at Ryerson. I haven't heard anything back just yet, and going by last year's results survey, it looks like we should hear back in early March.

In that case, good luck to you and hope to see you there in the fall! Where did you do your undergrad/graduate work?

Don't waste your time with Waterloo's MPS programme. While the students are of a high calibre, you'll get a lot more out of a political science degree. We have a co-op student here from the MPS programme who's seriously regretting not going a more traditional MA route. Lower cost, same co-op opportunities.

Hey I sent you a pm about MPS :)

I'm at U of T now, albeit in a different field. My experience has been that each program guarantees a minimum level of funding (for some programs that minimum level is $0) and all students get that. I don't really think they go above or beyond that even for competitive applicants.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the info!

applied to Queen's Ph.D program (chemistry) ........ got reply from a potential supervisor after mandatory pre-apps who encouraged to submit the main apps .......

eagerly waiting now ....

Got into UBC, SCARP PhD program - in case anyone else is waiting on that.

They're offering an "entrance fellowship" which I read as a one-time payment that happens to cover exactly tuition and fees for 1st year. It's one of my top choices, but how on earth could I afford to go with no stipend? :(

Got any encouraging words for me?

Still waiting on York U, which has guaranteed funding...

Did anyone else here apply to York's FES? Did you hear anything yet?

Does anyone know what the funding process looks like for international students in Canada??

I only know what is up for a sociology program, so don't take what I say as the word of God. I'm an American applying to only Ontario Universities. Being an international app in Ontario is NUTTY NUTTY NUTTY insane. Most programs only admit 2, yes two, international students. They typically do not admit students they can not give funding to. So, literally you are fighting for two spots. The funding? For sociology the highest I have seen it has been at like 15k$ a year that is a combo of department funding and TAships. Average tuition cost for a MA in one year is around 16k+$ a year. Not too much funding for international students, but you can apply for various scholarships. No FASFA or something like that for us >_<

Edited by DustSNK

American trying to get into a Sociology MA

Mcmaster - Sociology MA

Waterloo - Sociology MA

Brock - Sociology MA

Guelph - Sociology MA

WLU - Sociology MA

Got denied from McMaster last year, was the only program I applied to. Deff put all my eggs in one basket. A year later did some graduate courses and gained a lot of experience with research. G'luck to all you guys and esp you Soc applicants!!! If any of you have gotten your MA already at any of the universities I said pleasssssssssse MSG me I would love to hear how it was for you, thanks :)

Got into UBC, SCARP PhD program - in case anyone else is waiting on that.

They're offering an "entrance fellowship" which I read as a one-time payment that happens to cover exactly tuition and fees for 1st year. It's one of my top choices, but how on earth could I afford to go with no stipend? :(

Got any encouraging words for me?

Still waiting on York U, which has guaranteed funding...

Did anyone else here apply to York's FES? Did you hear anything yet?

I also applied to York Fes. We told about it as far as I remember. Since you were accepted by UBC you can give up York for me :D

it is just a joke :)

Probably a stupid question but, does anyone know how to track the Guelph applications? I haven't been able to figure it out.

I don't think you can? If I'm correct, Guelph just linked you to the general Ontario app system. They don't have their own system like Waterloo,Mcmaster or U of T does where you get your UN and PW to check stuff. When I applied to Guelph, the grad secretary emailed me when they got all my app material.

I don't think you can? If I'm correct, Guelph just linked you to the general Ontario app system. They don't have their own system like Waterloo,Mcmaster or U of T does where you get your UN and PW to check stuff. When I applied to Guelph, the grad secretary emailed me when they got all my app material.

I think you're right. Thanks!