Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Anyone doing Communications or Media Studies (in Canada)? I haven't read much around here about people applying to those programs, but I know you guys are out there! I applied to 7 MA programs in Canada, so far heard only from Calgary Cmns+culture (I got in, not idea on funding yet, should be coming in an email soon), and my top choice, SFU (and the rest of them, I expect), will not let me know until end of March (by which I have to let Calgary know, so hopefully it will work out).

Btw, I have to confess, this is partly my (only!) public celebration, I was so sure I wouldn't get in anywhere, to get my first reply and acceptance was a giant relief :D.

Edited by marxram

Anyone doing Communications or Media Studies (in Canada)? I haven't read much around here about people applying to those programs, but I know you guys are out there! I applied to 7 MA programs in Canada, so far heard only from Calgary Cmns+culture (I got in, not idea on funding yet, should be coming in an email soon), and my top choice, SFU (and the rest of them, I expect), will not let me know until end of March (by which I have to let Calgary know, so hopefully it will work out).

Btw, I have to confess, this is partly my (only!) public celebration, I was so sure I wouldn't get in anywhere, to get my first reply and acceptance was a giant relief :D.

Hi!! Finally I find someone who has applied to Comn. Congrats on your acceptance!!! I actually recently got waitlisted to McMaster's comn program and reaallllly wanna go there. I've also applied to York's comn/cult. Where else have you applied btw?

Mer, does anyone know about funding for international students at UVic? I'm going for my M.A. in sociology. I was told I would have funding, but I don't know how much yet. The suspense is wreaking havoc on my nerves!

Hey ABC! Congrats. I'm also an international applicant, which is as you know ultra ultra competitive. Mind sharing any of your stats? Ya know GPA, papers so on so forth.

Edited by DustSNK

snapback.pngmarxram, on 26 February 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

Hi!! Finally I find someone who has applied to Comn. Congrats on your acceptance!!! I actually recently got waitlisted to McMaster's comn program and reaallllly wanna go there. I've also applied to York's comn/cult. Where else have you applied btw?

I applied to McGill for a PhD in Comm. I'm guessing the timeline on decisions is not for a few months. Did either of you apply to McGill?

snapback.pngmarxram, on 26 February 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

I applied to McGill for a PhD in Comm. I'm guessing the timeline on decisions is not for a few months. Did either of you apply to McGill?

Well, I couldn't apply to McGill, unfortunately, because I did not have an honors degree, just a regular one. I asked them and they simply said no, whatever my qualifications. Same with McMaster, unfortunately. I also applied to York, Concordia (although they are not really focused on my field), Ottawa, and Carleton (I heard really good things about their journalism/cmns programs). As I said, I am hoping really hard for SFU, but Calgary is not bad at all (apart from Calgary itself... kidding! :)), and I wouldn't mind going to York, the program looks solid. How about you guys?

I applied to York/Ryerson's Communication & Culture program, if that counts. :) I think it'll be one of the later ones I hear back from, though, because of the joint program thing. Anyone hearing back from McMaster's English program, by chance?

Hey ABC! Congrats. I'm also an international applicant, which is as you know ultra ultra competitive. Mind sharing any of your stats? Ya know GPA, papers so on so forth.

Sure.

Undergrad GPA: 3.4

Undergrad Major/Minor: Anthropology/Sociology

I did an undergrad thesis on an original topic and presented the findings at a major anthropology conference.

I received a research grant for my research during undergrad.

I was a teaching assistant twice.

All in all, I don't think I was a fabulous candidate -- however, they received a research grant that fits almost exactly with the research I did during undergrad. I'm a great fit, and they know it.

I applied to York/Ryerson's Communication & Culture program, if that counts. :) I think it'll be one of the later ones I hear back from, though, because of the joint program thing. Anyone hearing back from McMaster's English program, by chance?

I don't know much about the York/Ryerson program... did you hear good things? (especially in comparison to Carleton and Calgary)...?

No need to kid. Calgary does suck. Especially the Flames. Ugh. B)

Eh, at least I am more partial to soccer, so I won't be suffering as much, knowing the Flames's record :).

Sure.

Undergrad GPA: 3.4

Undergrad Major/Minor: Anthropology/Sociology

I did an undergrad thesis on an original topic and presented the findings at a major anthropology conference.

I received a research grant for my research during undergrad.

I was a teaching assistant twice.

All in all, I don't think I was a fabulous candidate -- however, they received a research grant that fits almost exactly with the research I did during undergrad. I'm a great fit, and they know it.

Thanks ABC! I went from a B- GPA, and nothing monumental at all during my first cycle rejections, to taking some grad courses and doing a lot more this time around. Good to know what others do and get a feel for what people are looking for in Canada. Congrats on that grant!!!!! That is going to get ya places esp getting it as an UG!

Ahh this is great advice, you're always very helpful ^____^ I'm just worried about being an international student! At least from what I have seen, there isn't too much for me to apply for. Sucks. It has gotten to the point where my fiance and I (I'm American she is Canadian) have thought about doing a court house wedding and not waiting for a ceremony with family and so on JUST because I would save a hell of a lot of money if I was a permanent resident before going to school. But unfortunately it kinda takes the romance out of doing a shotgun wedding, but if I don't get in this cycle we will have to. It makes it sound sketchy, but for perspective (the figures I've worked out) I would save about 20k+$ if I were a permanent resident. I talked to most departments, have been seeing as 12-15k$ range for funding. No tuition waver though. I think once I get the MA, I am going to do as you say and go ape shit on the $ apps, and apply to everything I find for PhD.

Just jumping in here to let you know there is hope for internationals! My funding offer actually includes a nice additional bit where the department is paying out the majority of the difference in cost between me and local students in addition to the usual funding package. The actual difference now between what I will pay (if I do accept this offer) and what locals pay is almost negligible, and the funding package itself is actually better than most US offers my friends have received. Even if the site says international students pay a boatload more, there is a chance the department will even that out for you :D

This is good news for YOU, DustSNK, because I've got an arsenal of International Student resources lodged in my frugal little mind. Most major Canadian government scholarships are a no-go for you, with the notable exception of the Trudeau Scholarships http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/program/scholarships 25% of these puppies are awarded annually to international students. Government of Canada International Scholarship listing is here: http://www.scholarships-bourses.gc.ca/scholarships-bourses/index.aspx?view=d Composition of quicklinks at Study Canada, also developed by the government: http://www.studycanada.ca/english/index.htm Finally, this fun guide from the Canadian Association of Grad Studies has a nice comprehensive resource list in the appendix A: http://www.gradschool.utoronto.ca/Assets/GradSchool+Digital+Assets/Graduate+School/PDFs/CAGS+Handbook.pdf I'm not sure which of those have international student eligibility, but it's worth a perusal (the rest of the guide is good too!). Good luck, I hope that you get what you want this cycle!

This is good news for me too! Great post and very helpful!

Thanks, Dust! I should also add that my GPA in sociology was 3.8 or so, and my major GPA was 3.7. It was the required math and science classes that gave me grief.

Ditto! What killed me was going from community college to university (and CC gpa doesn't transfer just credits do), should not have waited to do all the math and science at university with only 2 years for a gpa :/ Do you think they calculate your major GPA if they don't explicitly say they do? I hope they do. I have around the same major GPA, but last cycle they said it doesn't mater how well your major GPA is, you could have a 4.0 major GPA, they see that cumulative and freak out. I was stupid and thought "Ahh if they see I did great in my major, they wont care about the rest, I'm gonna apply for sociology MA after all not math or history"... stupid habit to have on my part.

Just jumping in here to let you know there is hope for internationals! My funding offer actually includes a nice additional bit where the department is paying out the majority of the difference in cost between me and local students in addition to the usual funding package. The actual difference now between what I will pay (if I do accept this offer) and what locals pay is almost negligible, and the funding package itself is actually better than most US offers my friends have received. Even if the site says international students pay a boatload more, there is a chance the department will even that out for you :D

This is good news for me too! Great post and very helpful!

Ahhhh this is really nice to hear!!!!!! Every time I talk to a department they just say around 12-15k$ funding, that is a mix of scholarships and TAships. Do you recall what they called their move to balance out the actual tuition costs for you???? Was it another scholarship, is there a special thing they do that has a certain name in the academic world? I'm just curious if any of the programs will do this for me possibly. I would think they would say that when they talk to me about funding amounts, but maybe it is something they only talk about AFTER you are accepted?

Ditto! What killed me was going from community college to university (and CC gpa doesn't transfer just credits do), should not have waited to do all the math and science at university with only 2 years for a gpa :/ Do you think they calculate your major GPA if they don't explicitly say they do? I hope they do. I have around the same major GPA, but last cycle they said it doesn't mater how well your major GPA is, you could have a 4.0 major GPA, they see that cumulative and freak out. I was stupid and thought "Ahh if they see I did great in my major, they wont care about the rest, I'm gonna apply for sociology MA after all not math or history"... stupid habit to have on my part.

I honestly don't know. I think it depends on the program.

Ahhhh this is really nice to hear!!!!!! Every time I talk to a department they just say around 12-15k$ funding, that is a mix of scholarships and TAships. Do you recall what they called their move to balance out the actual tuition costs for you???? Was it another scholarship, is there a special thing they do that has a certain name in the academic world? I'm just curious if any of the programs will do this for me possibly. I would think they would say that when they talk to me about funding amounts, but maybe it is something they only talk about AFTER you are accepted?

As far as I recall there wasn't a specific name for that bit of funding itself, but there was a name for the additional fees international students have to pay- "visa differential fees". They informed me the visa differential fee (which was over 6K and equal to exactly half of the international student's tuition on the website) would be covered by the department so international students are not "unduly disadvantaged compared to Canadian students." I can't say this is the case in every department, let alone any other schools, but it was a huge benefit for me, as that extra 6.2 K would have torn a pretty good sized chunk out of my other funding. I can't say if schools would give that sort of info before acceptance or only after extending a funding package as I only found out after acceptance myself! I'd assume if they have an actual policy for that sort of thing it would probably not be admissions-only information, though.

Also throwing out a good word for any other Calgary psych applicants, Ms. Westgard is AMAZING, undoubtedly the most helpful grad administrator/coordinator I've spoken with :) Very professional and helpful, and still super nice personally!