Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Congrats!!! Care to share any of your stats? Like what you did during your BA & MA? Ya know, GPA - publishing - conference talks- ect.

Sure thing, but to be honest, I think it's a lot of luck and the right circumstances. My BA is from U of T, my MSc is from a UK university. I've published a bunch of papers and attended numerous conferences, but none in Anthropology. My GPA is not stellar, but I got straight As in Anthro in my undergraduate and I finished at the top of my class in my Masters (but in another discipline). I met with my profs beforehand, talked about what I wanted to do and it aligned with what they were interested in (particularly where their research was heading). I've learned to not take things too personally, sometimes, it's really not you, if you don't fit, they can't let you in. Good luck!

When I was admitted to my PhD program (that I'm currently in), I received the full offer in the first week of February (less than 2 weeks after the application deadline). By the time I heard from my second choice school, it was mid-March.

I would really like to know the schools you're talking about here... I had kind of resigned myself to not hearing until the end of March, at the earliest. Any chance you'd share?

Grrrr... after I applied at the end of Jan., my top choice program extended their deadline another two weeks. That means I'll have to wait even longer :(

I'm wondering why they extended the deadline? Trying to get more applicants? Better calibre applicants?

I'm waiting on Anthro at Uvic.. and it's killing me. I got an acceptance from Trent today (and it was nice to read some positive things up in the thread) but I'm not sure about moving all the way out to Ontario. It's so far away!

I'm waiting for English at SFU. :(

It is probably a little early yet.

Grrrr... after I applied at the end of Jan., my top choice program extended their deadline another two weeks. That means I'll have to wait even longer :(

I'm wondering why they extended the deadline? Trying to get more applicants? Better calibre applicants?

I wouldn't worry too much about your application. One of the programs I applied to extended their deadline due to a glitch in the electronic application system. Sometimes there are administrative errors they need to sort out as well.

To whoever wanted to know for the sake of their timeline, McMaster sayeth that my deadline to accept their offer is Thursday, March 22, 2012.

Congrats!! When did you get your acceptance letter?

I got my acceptance to SFU's Philosophy MA on the 4th of this month, and from Waterloo on the 13th. Waitlist for Dal arrived on the 16th, still waiting for word from U of A.

... and I broke down tonight and e-mailed U of A. Which was ultimately a weird thing to do, because they were a backup to SFU.

EDIT: Because it can matter for admissions decisions: I applied with interests in metaphysics, epistemology, and philosophy of language. My writing sample was on modal epistemology. I say that this can matter for admissions decisions because it can be the case that universities are looking to admit students in specific areas -- for instance, I got an e-mail forwarded to me from York (I believe) saying that they were looking for MA students interested in feminist philosophy.

Edited by philosogator

I have applied to UBC, McGill, UWO, UOttawa,Umanitoba.

have got an admit from McGill (msc thesis bioresource engg, no funding tho :| )

the deadline for UBC was nov 1 in my case-intl student, MASc .chem and bio engg, (they changed it to dec 1 after i submitted the application)...they said if a prof agrees to take me into his research grp they will mail me . if not then they will let me know in July!!!! thats veryy late considering im an international student ( from India) ..!!!

Edited by svk

I have applied to UBC, McGill, UWO, UOttawa,Umanitoba.

have got an admit from McGill (msc thesis bioresource engg, no funding tho :| )

Funding is rare for masters students in Canada, and even rarer for those who are also international students. Most of the funding in Canadian universities is channeled into the doctoral level. I hope you are not expecting much funding at the master's level.

Funding is rare for masters students in Canada, and even rarer for those who are also international students. Most of the funding in Canadian universities is channeled into the doctoral level. I hope you are not expecting much funding at the master's level.

Are you talking about specific disciplines? In my area (philosophy), all MAs are at least partially funded -- most of them are fully funded, but not with huge amounts of cash (you pull in around $4000-$6000 per semester). A non-funded masters is a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.

well , i am not ... hmmm

Are you talking about specific disciplines? In my area (philosophy), all MAs are at least partially funded -- most of them are fully funded, but not with huge amounts of cash (you pull in around $4000-$6000 per semester). A non-funded masters is a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, would've been a deal-breaker for me, too. I took an MA in Creative Writing/English and most of our students had their tuition paid for plus TA jobs/other positions that paid about $5000 a semester. I went to UWindsor, so it's not exactly the richest, most prestigious spot, either.

Yeah, would've been a deal-breaker for me, too. I took an MA in Creative Writing/English and most of our students had their tuition paid for plus TA jobs/other positions that paid about $5000 a semester. I went to UWindsor, so it's not exactly the richest, most prestigious spot, either.

Ditto on the "no funding = dealbreaker" front. I got my MA in the Social Science field and pulled down a similar deal as you two (tuition plus 14K for the year); plus I received an additional 6K in bursaries/scholarships. I managed to live contently in Toronto on that amount. I am a Canadian citizen, however, and couldn't speak to offers for international students.