Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

Nop, for the PHD. I got a call and then an e-mail from the graduate program director of Pols herself. She said the official letter from grad studies would take about 10 more days, but it seems to me decisions have begun to be made already.

I can't believe, how it happens. I called the graduate program director last week and she said me that the committee had not come together yet and there were no final decision about applications.

Are you Canadian? Could you please look at your PM

I posted it in the Political Science discussion too, but I have been accepted into the Political Science MA program at Carleton University. So if you applied, go check!

Good luck to all.

The U of C is my first choice since its my hometown and I'd rather not move again (I moved about 4 times through my undergrad for co-op purposes and a year off volunteering). The U of S actually isn't so bad for me, but maybe that's because I've spent some time in Saskatoon and don't mind the city outside the weather. The UVic is more of a "see if I can get in" attempt, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't make it.

Edited by Justin Lo

Accepted to Mcmaster's MA program in Globalization studies. Still waiting to hear back from NPSIA and UOttawa's International Development program....

Hi!! Congrats!! I heard back from them too this morning. Do you mind sharing your funding at all?

Guelph gave me a 2 week extension on accepting or declining their offer so that's good. In the meantime I've been accepted at both UofT Poli Sci and York for Dev Studies! McGill Poli Sci dept said students can expect to hear back mid-April and McMaster for Poli Sci - Global Politics said late March to early April.

I caved today and contacted 2 of my schools about admissions. UBC said they'd let me know within the next 2 weeks, Carleton hasn't responded yet. Ryerson should let me know within the next 3 weeks, and I'm not sure about Western.. I checked the online thing and they don't have any decision on there. :\

Edited by laviola

Where did you hear that? I always wonder how people find that info out. That's good news though, I do know their decisions go out starting in about a week for a couple weeks after that, so there's time.

If you go to Ryerson, or you know people in the department, it's highly likely that you find out that stuff through people around you...

Where did you hear that? I always wonder how people find that info out. That's good news though, I do know their decisions go out starting in about a week for a couple weeks after that, so there's time.

I find it's usually a current grad student in department/university X that posts stuff about when admissions committees are meeting. At my own university, it's common knowledge in my department when the committee meets each year, and there is no rule about not sharing that info with outsiders!

Edited by Andsowego

Guelph gave me a 2 week extension on accepting or declining their offer so that's good. In the meantime I've been accepted at both UofT Poli Sci and York for Dev Studies! McGill Poli Sci dept said students can expect to hear back mid-April and McMaster for Poli Sci - Global Politics said late March to early April.

For what it's worth, you can probably expect to hear from McGill before that. The graduate secretary seems to be telling people that decisions will be out in April or May, but I ran into the grad director and he told me they were planning to meet very soon so that they can start getting offers out. I think they're feeling pressured by the early first round deadlines.

If you go to Ryerson, or you know people in the department, it's highly likely that you find out that stuff through people around you...

Well, I don't... so that's why I was wondering. I didn't even apply to my undergrad school for grad school, so I wouldn't really know where to go or who to ask.

Thanks for the tip Andsowego!

I received a lovely email invitation to uOttawa grad open house... now if an acceptance would come, I'd be happy to RSVP. Ahhhh!

Haha I got a couple of those from Carleton.

Accepted to York's PhD program in Sociology! I've been sitting on the U of T offer for a bit, so it'll be nice to compare and contrast the programs and be able to make an informed decision (there will be so many neurotic pro/con lists)!

I can't believe I'm in a position to choose! I am open to any insight!

For what it's worth, you can probably expect to hear from McGill before that. The graduate secretary seems to be telling people that decisions will be out in April or May, but I ran into the grad director and he told me they were planning to meet very soon so that they can start getting offers out. I think they're feeling pressured by the early first round deadlines.

That's good to know! I can't blame them, they probably get tons of nervous applicants emailing and calling. I wouldn't want to tell all those students a date, then not be ready for a couple weeks after that. Better for their admins sanity to say a bit of a later date and see if things get all done and processed sooner.

Now, fingers crossed they have good news for me! : )

Accepted to York's PhD program in Sociology! I've been sitting on the U of T offer for a bit, so it'll be nice to compare and contrast the programs and be able to make an informed decision (there will be so many neurotic pro/con lists)!

I can't believe I'm in a position to choose! I am open to any insight!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! Oh York :) Idk if it is just me, but I have seen a LARGE number of faculty from the Ontario schools who have A LOT of York PhD grads in the department. Wounder what kind of magic they are working there.

Well looks like March is being a good month to me - I just received acceptance into Calgary's MPP program with an offer of $10 000 funding.

Cheers all, hope you receive word from your respective schools and programs soon.