Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

I don't know much about the York/Ryerson program... did you hear good things? (especially in comparison to Carleton and Calgary)...?

I honestly have no idea re: comparison (Calgary's on my list, but for Creative Writing), but I've heard good things about the York/Ryerson ComCult PhD program. At the time I applied, I talked to a friend who's in it and she said she was enjoying it, decently funded, had a lot of choice as to people to work with, etc. I don't know if it's my perfect fit, but it sounds good.

I honestly have no idea re: comparison (Calgary's on my list, but for Creative Writing), but I've heard good things about the York/Ryerson ComCult PhD program. At the time I applied, I talked to a friend who's in it and she said she was enjoying it, decently funded, had a lot of choice as to people to work with, etc. I don't know if it's my perfect fit, but it sounds good.

Even that's helpful, cheers. I was also thinking along the lines of school culture... some are more liberal, some more traditional (i.e. in terms of doing the research you want to do), but I suppose that is hard to sum up without being in all the schools. Does not really matter right now anyway, have to wait and see if I even get another offer :). Acceptances sure boost one's feeling of self-worth, perhaps a bit too much. Thanks for the note again.

I don't know much about the York/Ryerson program... did you hear good things? (especially in comparison to Carleton and Calgary)...?

Since I went to York for my undergrad, one of my most amazing profs told me NOT to go to York's comn/cult if I have another better option. On asking why he said their administration is pretty messed up and they take more students than they can really accommodate.. So the program's really not as super as many students expect it to be. The classes are mostly made up of student discussion, and there is not a lot of new things that are taught. I'm not sure if it is something that we should base our decisions upon, and I am definitely not trying to bad rep. the program, but it's something genuine that I was told by a professor I sincerely look up to. Thought I'd share....

p.s. i feel at the end, it's not the program, it's our potential that matters.

Edited by m.a.

^ It's what you make of it that matters, so I guess potential goes under that. You really need to use EVERY opportunity that comes your way, and honestly most university students (even or especially the really talented ones) don't.

Anyone know when most schools are supposed to start sending out info? march, right?

Has anyone heard from McGill or UWO for Counselling Psych MA? I had a Skype interview with Calgary today...still waiting on the other two

I applied to both McGill and UWO for Counselling Psych and I've heard nothing.

Well, I got an email from McGill at the beginning of the month that said something along the lines of "JUST IN CASE you're invited for an interview, save March 30th. You Haven't been invited yet...but you know, JUST IN CASE" ...Losers.

I consider that "nothing".

Anybody for U of Toronto Counselling Psyc??

Since I went to York for my undergrad, one of my most amazing profs told me NOT to go to York's comn/cult if I have another better option. On asking why he said their administration is pretty messed up and they take more students than they can really accommodate.. So the program's really not as super as many students expect it to be. The classes are mostly made up of student discussion, and there is not a lot of new things that are taught. I'm not sure if it is something that we should base our decisions upon, and I am definitely not trying to bad rep. the program, but it's something genuine that I was told by a professor I sincerely look up to. Thought I'd share....

p.s. i feel at the end, it's not the program, it's our potential that matters.

^ It's what you make of it that matters, so I guess potential goes under that. You really need to use EVERY opportunity that comes your way, and honestly most university students (even or especially the really talented ones) don't.

Anyone know when most schools are supposed to start sending out info? march, right?

Ok, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, taking opportunities makes sense, and I think at all the bigger schools there are a few. I already got into Calgary so I will still prefer that to York - not to whip out rankings, but as you said, York tends to do more badly in the prof-to-student ratios and other important things like that... I think the only hard choice will be Carleton, if I get in. Everyone seems to really like it, their journalism is really famous (I assume the cmns program is very good along those lines) and one of my profs whom I really like is from there and she said it was excellent. Well, one more month to wait!

Got this email from the U of T Ecology and Evolutionary Biology PhD program.

"Thank you for your interest in a graduate program in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Toronto. Your application is complete and the Admissions Committee is considering it. There are many contingencies in the decision process, that still need to be resolved. We will provide you with a decision as soon as soon as we can, but no later than the end or March or the first week in April. In the interim, we appreciate your patience.

If you need an earlier status report in order to make an informed choice about other opportunities, please contact the EEB Graduate Office (grad.eeb@utoronto.ca) and we will try to clarify your current status. If you situation changes in any significant way, e.g. you win an NSERC, OGS, or other major scholarship, be sure to inform us promptly. Such an achievement can change the ability of a prospective supervisor to support your research, opening up a new training opportunity for you. Alternatively, if you decide to withdraw your application, please let us and your prospective supervisor know as soon as possible.

While you are waiting, we wish you continued success in your current program."

I'm guessing this means I've been wait-listed but I e-mailed my potential advisor about it and he is looking into it. Meh.

Got this email from the U of T Ecology and Evolutionary Biology PhD program.

"Thank you for your interest in a graduate program in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Toronto. Your application is complete and the Admissions Committee is considering it. There are many contingencies in the decision process, that still need to be resolved. We will provide you with a decision as soon as soon as we can, but no later than the end or March or the first week in April. In the interim, we appreciate your patience.

If you need an earlier status report in order to make an informed choice about other opportunities, please contact the EEB Graduate Office (grad.eeb@utoronto.ca) and we will try to clarify your current status. If you situation changes in any significant way, e.g. you win an NSERC, OGS, or other major scholarship, be sure to inform us promptly. Such an achievement can change the ability of a prospective supervisor to support your research, opening up a new training opportunity for you. Alternatively, if you decide to withdraw your application, please let us and your prospective supervisor know as soon as possible.

While you are waiting, we wish you continued success in your current program."

I'm guessing this means I've been wait-listed but I e-mailed my potential advisor about it and he is looking into it. Meh.

This just sounds to me like they are being bombarded with emails asking when decisions will be made and decided to send out a "we're sorry it's taking so long" email. Don't assume waitlisting. This email is very general and most likely went to all candidates under consideration.

I know it's highly unlikely, but has anyone out there heard from Dalhousie's Experimental Psych program? I emailed the DGS last week but they just said that my application is still being reviewed by the department and no decision had been forwarded to them yet. Sighhh...

Just assuming the worst I guess. It just seems like a weird time to get an email like that.

I think I only see two Canadian universities on ya list, lots of American ones. Have you been posting on the other forums? If not some people who are applying too might give you some helpful info :) I wish I had a link but I only go on the sociology one.

I've looked to see if my question is in any other forums but they all focus on the US April 15th deadline and of course as we know, Canadian schools don't follow that guideline. So I'm hoping to get some help here!

On Jan 31st I got an email from the Poli Sci Admissions person for Guelph that I'd been accepted into their program. I was excited to hear back so soon, although it is my safety school. They're offering me a very competitive funding package but I haven't heard back from any of the other 6 schools I've applied to so I'm definitely not making any decisions at this point.

Now I've received a letter from the Grad Studies Dept at Guelph that says I have to accept or decline by March 14th! I got the letter in the mail yesterday, which means I've have 1 week to make my decision before mailing them the form back! I likely will not have heard back from a single other program by then. In particular another poster here said they contacted McGills Poli Sci dept and decisions won't be out until late April, and Carleton's NPSIA program usually gives out results around the same time.

I intend to ask Guelph for an extension but if they say no or if it is only until say March 30th and I haven't heard back from many other programs by then, I'm not sure what I should do. So basically my main question is - Are there any repercussions to accepting and then later declining an offer? Or is it just extremely poor form? Also, how might I word an email asking for an extension to accept/decline Guelph's offer?

Thanks for any advice!

*cries* Holy iheflwefobndfoboudgbaoudboubd@%$^%$^%@$@. Got acceptance email from Brock!! Not my first choice (McMaster is), but a critical theory program with the perfect advisor with international ethnography research in my area. OMG OMG OMG. What a great day. Don't want to gloat, this is just a LOT and I mean a LOT of hard work and sacrifice to get in after being rejected last cycle across the board. Moving from NYC area to Buffalo to be closer to Canada and my fiance (who is Canadian), putting off a wedding, taking non-degree courses just to boost GPA, living in limbo with every facet of my future life in question because once I'm in Canada I'm there for good... just ahhh. Great.

*cries* Holy iheflwefobndfoboudgbaoudboubd@%$^%$^%@$@. Got acceptance email from Brock!! Not my first choice (McMaster is), but a critical theory program with the perfect advisor with international ethnography research in my area. OMG OMG OMG. What a great day. Don't want to gloat, this is just a LOT and I mean a LOT of hard work and sacrifice to get in after being rejected last cycle across the board. Moving from NYC area to Buffalo to be closer to Canada and my fiance (who is Canadian), putting off a wedding, taking non-degree courses just to boost GPA, living in limbo with every facet of my future life in question because once I'm in Canada I'm there for good... just ahhh. Great.

Nice.

congrats, dustSNK! does your fiance also attend a school in canada?

i'm thinking of doing the opposite next next year -- move to NY to be with bf :)

it's amazing what you do for love lol

Thanks guys ^________^

@Princess - Nah she isn't an academic, she got a BA but now has a job with an amazing company in Mississauga ON. Yes you will do anything for love! We met working in Asia years ago, and that decision who goes where had to be made. I'm really disparaged with American Sociology, and honeslty wouldnt wanna raise a family in America, so the choice was easy. But after proposing to her then getting rejection letters last year, needless to say it was really difficult. But now get to think of the future AND study in a country I have grown very fond of. Visiting every weekend for the past year, and reading works from Canadian sociologist in class... it was a major tease!

congrats, dustSNK! does your fiance also attend a school in canada?

i'm thinking of doing the opposite next next year -- move to NY to be with bf :)

it's amazing what you do for love lol

BTW where is your BF from in NY?

I've looked to see if my question is in any other forums but they all focus on the US April 15th deadline and of course as we know, Canadian schools don't follow that guideline. So I'm hoping to get some help here!

On Jan 31st I got an email from the Poli Sci Admissions person for Guelph that I'd been accepted into their program. I was excited to hear back so soon, although it is my safety school. They're offering me a very competitive funding package but I haven't heard back from any of the other 6 schools I've applied to so I'm definitely not making any decisions at this point.

Now I've received a letter from the Grad Studies Dept at Guelph that says I have to accept or decline by March 14th! I got the letter in the mail yesterday, which means I've have 1 week to make my decision before mailing them the form back! I likely will not have heard back from a single other program by then. In particular another poster here said they contacted McGills Poli Sci dept and decisions won't be out until late April, and Carleton's NPSIA program usually gives out results around the same time.

I intend to ask Guelph for an extension but if they say no or if it is only until say March 30th and I haven't heard back from many other programs by then, I'm not sure what I should do. So basically my main question is - Are there any repercussions to accepting and then later declining an offer? Or is it just extremely poor form? Also, how might I word an email asking for an extension to accept/decline Guelph's offer?

Thanks for any advice!

You can have my place at NPSIA, hah hah--since I just found three glaring errors in my personal statement. My only app, too. Oh well. Please do post what they say if you contact them, though--it's too bad that Guelph is being so inflexible! I don't think you would be in the wrong to accept Guelph, with the intention of accepting another offer down the line; they are forcing your hand a bit. (Then again, if they want you, they should be willing to wait a bit.)

Thanks guys ^________^

@Princess - Nah she isn't an academic, she got a BA but now has a job with an amazing company in Mississauga ON. Yes you will do anything for love! We met working in Asia years ago, and that decision who goes where had to be made. I'm really disparaged with American Sociology, and honeslty wouldnt wanna raise a family in America, so the choice was easy. But after proposing to her then getting rejection letters last year, needless to say it was really difficult. But now get to think of the future AND study in a country I have grown very fond of. Visiting every weekend for the past year, and reading works from Canadian sociologist in class... it was a major tease!

That's a really great story! What part of New York were you traveling from to visit her? My bf lives around Albany :)

Wow, it's great that you've grown so fond of this country. If I moved over there, I'd definitely miss this place, but I find that there are a lot of perks in the States as well.